EA Forums - Banner

Entitlement

Replies

  • fayers365
    7 posts
    edited February 2014
    Another reason folks feel like they are "owed" free things. We live in a nation that makes everyone feel like they are entitled. You are a star, you are a singer, even if you run around in your underwear catching gophers you can be a big TV star! Nah. It's nice to get free stuff, but I don't expect it.
  • JoshSherer
    1640 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    fluffling wrote:
    JoshSherer wrote:
    JoshSherer wrote:
    sherryt07 wrote:
    Why do people feel that they are owed a gift from EA every holiday?

    Because they basically started giving us one every holiday.

    So once somebody does a kind deed they are obligated to keep performing kind deeds for ever and ever?

    In a game where we're constantly being ripped off and punished for being premium players, yes.

    I'm sorry, but how are you being ripped off? EA offers the premium prizes at a cost, but ultimately you decide whether what they offer is worth the cost.

    And I don't understand, how are you being punished?

    We are constantly being punished because during events and other updates they provide a premium item to everyone after the premium players already purchased it. They also give us gifts of 5-10 donuts and then lay out premium content that costs 300 donuts. The 5-1 donuts is a lot to the freemium player but it means nothing to premium players. They actually give rewards to freemium players. If they are so willing to give little rewards to freemium players then they should give comparable rewards to premium players (the same gift is not comparable as it's meaningless to premium players).
    not all premium players had the train, some of them weren't even playing last Valentine's Day and hadn't cleared the wheel.
    I'm a premium player but didn't buy the train last year and it was the last item for me to clear on the wheel on Valentine's day.

    Most people had it from last year as it was free. And the train isn't the only time that happened. Look at the wailing wall on Halloween for example.
  • betha75
    157 posts
    edited February 2014
    Because people are whiny and instead of worrying about important things in life they worry about a silly smartphone game. No priorities.

    or just different priorities.
  • Jedihntr
    828 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    ayyezajac wrote:
    ayyezajac wrote:
    Because some of us are premium players and basically get slapped in the face by the things EA decides to give out.

    Huh?

    What's there not to understand? People like me who spend good money on this game almost always get a terrible return on our investment.

    And there's your sense of entitlement. I don't understand this "I spent money, therefore I should get something in addition to the actual item I was willing to purchase" mentality. I'm a scratch-r buyer, so I only get the occasional premium item. I don't have all the fancy **** that people who drop big money on this game have, and that's my choice. If premium players don't feel that EA is putting out good enough premium content, there's a simple solution: don't buy it!
  • Aennilya
    636 posts
    edited February 2014
    Naes556 wrote:
    I'm still holding my breath hoping they give us James Polk as a character today in celebration of President's day!
    No such luck. :(
    But, hey, there's always this billboard we might look forward to!
    20120124160056%21Mount_Rushmore.png
  • Aennilya
    636 posts
    edited February 2014
    Jedihntr wrote:
    ayyezajac wrote:
    ayyezajac wrote:
    Because some of us are premium players and basically get slapped in the face by the things EA decides to give out.

    Huh?

    What's there not to understand? People like me who spend good money on this game almost always get a terrible return on our investment.

    And there's your sense of entitlement. I don't understand this "I spent money, therefore I should get something in addition to the actual item I was willing to purchase" mentality. I'm a scratch-r buyer, so I only get the occasional premium item. I don't have all the fancy **** that people who drop big money on this game have, and that's my choice. If premium players don't feel that EA is putting out good enough premium content, there's a simple solution: don't buy it!
    Oh, fiddlesticks. You're going to make me double post - unless someone posts in the meantime.

    No one is complaining about the quality of premium content here, except you, and you don't buy it, otherwise I'd suggest starting a different thread on that very topic, but as you don't buy it, I'm not sure why you would.

    What's (intermittently and less funnily) being argued here is that EA giveaways and event gifts benefit freemium players rather significantly more than premium players. While true I don't really see any way around this that wouldn't be seen as preferential to premium players, and, after all, it's a freemium game. The idea is that one can play TSTO for free and that any money (good, bad, or otherwise - what exactly is "good money," btw) one spends on it is voluntarily spent for a specific purpose, i.e., a character or building, etc.

    Now, to argue that EA doesn't dangle teasers in front of players angling to raise expectations - and jiggle some money out of them - is, well, naive. That's certainly not to say that one can't still resist temptation; there's no reason to spend money on TSTO save one's own enjoyment.

    On the other hand, I can understand a desire for some sort of loyalty recognition - even if I don't share it: for me this is just a game app, not a major purchase. And if you think about it, the Gil donut sales are in themselves a bonus only to premium players: the more donuts you buy the more you save. Maybe as someone said on another thread, if, on non-donut Gil sales, Gil showed up and thanked premium players for already purchasing said items, that would be satisfactory.

    Edit: "t" in not
  • ayyezajac
    138 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    Just throwing this out there, without premium players like myself, Josh, and many others, there would be no game (it would have ended by now.) We keep this game running for you freemium players. The cash flow keeps this game running as long as EA is making a profit. In the process, EA is continually smacking us premium players in the face. I have seven trains. I didn't need another one. 2.5% to me doesn't mean much either. I'm making thousands per day. Or the casual five donut giveaway when things cost 150-300 to begin with. I'm sorry if most of you can't understand this, but the day that we stop paying for things is the day the game ends and you'll fully understand.
  • JoshSherer
    1640 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    ayyezajac wrote:
    Just throwing this out there, without premium players like myself, Josh, and many others, there would be no game (it would have ended by now.) We keep this game running for you freemium players. The cash flow keeps this game running as long as EA is making a profit. In the process, EA is continually smacking us premium players in the face. I have seven trains. I didn't need another one. 2.5% to me doesn't mean much either. I'm making thousands per day. Or the casual five donut giveaway when things cost 150-300 to begin with. I'm sorry if most of you can't understand this, but the day that we stop paying for things is the day the game ends and you'll fully understand.

    Well said.
  • Jedihntr
    828 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    ayyezajac wrote:
    Just throwing this out there, without premium players like myself, Josh, and many others, there would be no game (it would have ended by now.) We keep this game running for you freemium players. The cash flow keeps this game running as long as EA is making a profit. In the process, EA is continually smacking us premium players in the face. I have seven trains. I didn't need another one. 2.5% to me doesn't mean much either. I'm making thousands per day. Or the casual five donut giveaway when things cost 150-300 to begin with. I'm sorry if most of you can't understand this, but the day that we stop paying for things is the day the game ends and you'll fully understand.

    And as a 'thank you' for funding this game, EA provides you with buildings, characters, decorations, and currency bonuses those who play for free do not have. You're welcome.
  • Itchem-Scratchem
    1338 posts
    edited February 2014
    Jedihntr wrote:
    ayyezajac wrote:
    Just throwing this out there, without premium players like myself, Josh, and many others, there would be no game (it would have ended by now.) We keep this game running for you freemium players. The cash flow keeps this game running as long as EA is making a profit. In the process, EA is continually smacking us premium players in the face. I have seven trains. I didn't need another one. 2.5% to me doesn't mean much either. I'm making thousands per day. Or the casual five donut giveaway when things cost 150-300 to begin with. I'm sorry if most of you can't understand this, but the day that we stop paying for things is the day the game ends and you'll fully understand.

    And as a 'thank you' for funding this game, EA provides you with buildings, characters, decorations, and currency bonuses those who play for free do not have. You're welcome.
    +1 Jedihntr
  • Pinkspaceangel
    343 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    ayyezajac wrote:
    Just throwing this out there, without premium players like myself, Josh, and many others, there would be no game (it would have ended by now.) We keep this game running for you freemium players. The cash flow keeps this game running as long as EA is making a profit. In the process, EA is continually smacking us premium players in the face. I have seven trains. I didn't need another one. 2.5% to me doesn't mean much either. I'm making thousands per day. Or the casual five donut giveaway when things cost 150-300 to begin with. I'm sorry if most of you can't understand this, but the day that we stop paying for things is the day the game ends and you'll fully understand.

    You deserve a crown, you are a king, you are a real somebody, you spend money on a game... Let me laugh...

    Let me tell you, you are not the only one paying, you are only one drop in the ocean...

    I understand that EA, who is in business to make money in order to continue to make more games, wants to get more freemium players to become premium. What's wrong about that ?

    Stop thinking you are higher than anyone because you are a premium player.
  • Aennilya
    636 posts
    edited February 2014
    ayyezajac wrote:
    Just throwing this out there, without premium players like myself, Josh, and many others, there would be no game (it would have ended by now.) We keep this game running for you freemium players. The cash flow keeps this game running as long as EA is making a profit. In the process, EA is continually smacking us premium players in the face. I have seven trains. I didn't need another one. 2.5% to me doesn't mean much either. I'm making thousands per day. Or the casual five donut giveaway when things cost 150-300 to begin with. I'm sorry if most of you can't understand this, but the day that we stop paying for things is the day the game ends and you'll fully understand.
    I don't spend my money on this game for anyone else but me. Why would I? This is a game app. There are things I do subsidize (some of them unwillingly). But again, this isn't one of them. It's a game app. I have no delusions about where my money goes (a for-profit corp., as if this were a bad thing) and I understand that I am paying for a more-or-less frivolous entertainment. I am a completionist, and I have to tell you I love chasing my leprechaun and making my overpriced whale splash. I still haven't decided if I want a second whale; one seems lonely and three crowded. If I have a problem with a particular item, I will complain (like the twins paying out as only one character instead of two, which was fixed) but I'm not interested in gratitude for an economic transaction.

    The only valid point I've seen so far has been the one Josh made, in that often EA will award a premium item (like the wailing wall) at the end of an event when premium players would have already purchased it. But, on the other hand, since it was awarded at the end of the event, premium players had the benefit of all the extra Goo (remember Goo?) afforded by their purchased wall during the length of the event while freemium players did not.
  • stevieort
    605 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    Naes556 wrote:
    I'm still holding my breath hoping they give us James Polk as a character today in celebration of President's day!

    Winner!
  • JoshSherer
    1640 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    ayyezajac wrote:
    Just throwing this out there, without premium players like myself, Josh, and many others, there would be no game (it would have ended by now.) We keep this game running for you freemium players. The cash flow keeps this game running as long as EA is making a profit. In the process, EA is continually smacking us premium players in the face. I have seven trains. I didn't need another one. 2.5% to me doesn't mean much either. I'm making thousands per day. Or the casual five donut giveaway when things cost 150-300 to begin with. I'm sorry if most of you can't understand this, but the day that we stop paying for things is the day the game ends and you'll fully understand.

    You deserve a crown, you are a king, you are a real somebody, you spend money on a game... Let me laugh...

    Let me tell you, you are not the only one paying, you are only one drop in the ocean...

    I understand that EA, who is in business to make money in order to continue to make more games, wants to get more freemium players to become premium. What's wrong about that ?

    Stop thinking you are higher than anyone because you are a premium player.

    Premium players ARE higher than non-premium players. And those mentioned in-game are even higher than anyone else.
  • ayyezajac
    138 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    JoshSherer wrote:
    ayyezajac wrote:
    Just throwing this out there, without premium players like myself, Josh, and many others, there would be no game (it would have ended by now.) We keep this game running for you freemium players. The cash flow keeps this game running as long as EA is making a profit. In the process, EA is continually smacking us premium players in the face. I have seven trains. I didn't need another one. 2.5% to me doesn't mean much either. I'm making thousands per day. Or the casual five donut giveaway when things cost 150-300 to begin with. I'm sorry if most of you can't understand this, but the day that we stop paying for things is the day the game ends and you'll fully understand.

    You deserve a crown, you are a king, you are a real somebody, you spend money on a game... Let me laugh...

    Let me tell you, you are not the only one paying, you are only one drop in the ocean...

    I understand that EA, who is in business to make money in order to continue to make more games, wants to get more freemium players to become premium. What's wrong about that ?

    Stop thinking you are higher than anyone because you are a premium player.

    Premium players ARE higher than non-premium players. And those mentioned in-game are even higher than anyone else.

    Agree with you, Josh. We are higher because without us, this game wouldn't exist any longer. Period.
  • JoshSherer
    1640 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    ayyezajac wrote:
    JoshSherer wrote:
    ayyezajac wrote:
    Just throwing this out there, without premium players like myself, Josh, and many others, there would be no game (it would have ended by now.) We keep this game running for you freemium players. The cash flow keeps this game running as long as EA is making a profit. In the process, EA is continually smacking us premium players in the face. I have seven trains. I didn't need another one. 2.5% to me doesn't mean much either. I'm making thousands per day. Or the casual five donut giveaway when things cost 150-300 to begin with. I'm sorry if most of you can't understand this, but the day that we stop paying for things is the day the game ends and you'll fully understand.

    You deserve a crown, you are a king, you are a real somebody, you spend money on a game... Let me laugh...

    Let me tell you, you are not the only one paying, you are only one drop in the ocean...

    I understand that EA, who is in business to make money in order to continue to make more games, wants to get more freemium players to become premium. What's wrong about that ?

    Stop thinking you are higher than anyone because you are a premium player.

    Premium players ARE higher than non-premium players. And those mentioned in-game are even higher than anyone else.

    Agree with you, Josh. We are higher because without us, this game wouldn't exist any longer. Period.

    Yes, and because we're not cheapskates.
  • Excruciator69
    697 posts
    edited February 2014
    ayyezajac wrote:
    Agree with you, Josh. We are higher because without us, this game wouldn't exist any longer. Period.

    Pretty sure both of you could quit and TSTO would live on. No one player is that important.
  • ayyezajac
    138 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    ayyezajac wrote:
    Agree with you, Josh. We are higher because without us, this game wouldn't exist any longer. Period.

    Pretty sure both of you could quit and TSTO would live on. No one player is that important.

    We aren't arguing that any ONE individual is important. Read the posts above before you post something like this. I clearly stated premium playerS, which is PLURAL. So I'll say it again, without premium players this game wouldn't exist. Period.
  • anastasios_p
    40 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    ayyezajac wrote:
    Just throwing this out there, without premium players like myself, Josh, and many others, there would be no game (it would have ended by now.) We keep this game running for you freemium players. The cash flow keeps this game running as long as EA is making a profit. In the process, EA is continually smacking us premium players in the face. I have seven trains. I didn't need another one. 2.5% to me doesn't mean much either. I'm making thousands per day. Or the casual five donut giveaway when things cost 150-300 to begin with. I'm sorry if most of you can't understand this, but the day that we stop paying for things is the day the game ends and you'll fully understand.

    Actually there is no way of proving your point "without premium players like myself, Josh, and many others" because there could be hundreds more premium players that play the game without visiting the boards, or posting, or complaining.

    And Humans being what they are, I don't foresee them ceasing their premium purchases, no matter how much they complain.
  • anastasios_p
    40 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    JoshSherer wrote:
    ayyezajac wrote:
    Just throwing this out there, without premium players like myself, Josh, and many others, there would be no game (it would have ended by now.) We keep this game running for you freemium players. The cash flow keeps this game running as long as EA is making a profit. In the process, EA is continually smacking us premium players in the face. I have seven trains. I didn't need another one. 2.5% to me doesn't mean much either. I'm making thousands per day. Or the casual five donut giveaway when things cost 150-300 to begin with. I'm sorry if most of you can't understand this, but the day that we stop paying for things is the day the game ends and you'll fully understand.

    You deserve a crown, you are a king, you are a real somebody, you spend money on a game... Let me laugh...

    Let me tell you, you are not the only one paying, you are only one drop in the ocean...

    I understand that EA, who is in business to make money in order to continue to make more games, wants to get more freemium players to become premium. What's wrong about that ?

    Stop thinking you are higher than anyone because you are a premium player.

    Premium players ARE higher than non-premium players. And those mentioned in-game are even higher than anyone else.

    This reminds me of the line, from "Watchmen" I think, " Saying you are the world's smartest human is like saying you are the world's smartest cockroach". :wink:
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!