EA Forums - Banner

Redesigning advice.

I have done a few redesigns, a full redesign and a few smaller ones. Personally for me the full redesign was hell! It took a lot of time and planning.

if you wish to change your whole town and don't mind your town being a mess for a while then go for it, things I would suggest:
Make sure you have enough money to decorate
Plan your town out on paper first, if you're good at visualising things then this may not be necessary but it helps with preventing mind blocks and delays.
Place all decorations in storage (except limited time and premium)
Set all of your buildings to one corner and start in the opposite corner.
Be aware of how much space you are using for each design and watch your decoration limit.

Replies

• 4junk3000
    5336 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    i agree with above.

i plan to use paper, and make a 14x14 grid. then i'll notate where i want certain landmarks, like the SF mtn. i'll place those first, then fill in between.

i plan to make neighborhoods, so i'll categorize the buildings first. which bldgs do i want near the beach, vs. downtown, or in the hills? see how many bldgs you want in each neighborhood, then you know how much space each may need. if you want 20 bldgs on the beach, you know to take more space and not get cramped after placing 17 of 'em.

once you have an idea where the bldgs will go, consider if you want a few "main roads". then lay down the pavement in a long strip and start distributing the bldgs. dont decorate them 'til you have em all laid out in case you have to shift around.

have fun, good luck!
    "You're the most negative person I've ever seen on here. Constantly."
  • AllenDelic
    161 posts
    edited February 2014
    @ Bee
    Decoration limit is not a huge issue, my town has passed 5500 but still no difference in maintenance.

@OP I've been in your spot, what I did when I did my total redesign is start with the residential area (all the coloured houses) then after I had decorated all of those I moved on to the other buildings.

A good tid as mentioned above aswell is to have enougn money to decorate everything so you dont have to do breaks when unwanted, aswell as planning beforehand.

Good luck :)
  • GamerGD3
    3029 posts
    edited February 2014
    As stated, only store decorations (non-premium or non-limited time). Cram everything to a corner and start in a different corner (easiest for opposite).

I didn't do the paper route since I knew where I wanted my stuff to go. I knew how I wanted to group buildings together. So then it was just pulling them over.

I found it easiest to just allocate land first. Both roads, pavement. Then after buildings are set in place, then to add in trees, flowers. Obvisouly if you need more space, the building placements can be adjusted, depending how large you make some of the areas.

I just think placing buildings down makes it look more a proper town, then when you add in the fluff, it makes it easier to do. I think if you place a few buildings and decorate it heavily, it makes it seem like it will take forever as you pull stuff out of the inventory or buying additional decorations.
  • jukan00
    2319 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    -If you do want to sketch some stuff on paper I find using an isometric grid (found for free on the internet) helps a lot. You can even angle it so it will orient the way TSTO actually does when you play it.
  • kayleigh9021
    4 posts
    edited March 2014
    I litteraly stored everything the last time I re deigned and worked off the Simpson house. Creating the hosing estates first. The forest. And a town like middle.
  • MrJuanMata
    5344 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    I have re designed my town twice since November and I'm currently re designing it now, I'm taking my time though, maybe 1 or 2 buildings a day, I just love starting from scratch with a blank canvas :D
  • barrymcerlea
    2096 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    Don't do what I did and go tap-crazy placing things in storage and then end up selling something you like :roll: you'll be missed Luann..
  • jwvfilms
    215 posts
    edited March 2014
    I redesign frequent, and I've kept my current design with minor adjusts every day. My advice is to start at the beach and go backwards, and to have areas for residential, downtown, industry, city, seasonal, etc. Best of luck in your new town though.
  • drosax1
    4860 posts New member
    edited March 2014
    I never had an issue storing limited time items when I go through a huge redesign I store whatever I can. Like mentioned before if your going to have roads place pavement first so you can get a general idea of what it'd look like and it gives you space if needed
  • montywash
    74 posts
    edited March 2014
    When I finally did my full re-design (like you, after getting all the land), I went with a natural city progression approach. I created two huge rivers - one flowing east-west and the other flowing north-south, intersecting in the north-east quadrant of my map. Then, I started from the river intersection and moved outward, like a real city. I put the factories (Duff and Cracker) on the riverfront, as they would have used the rivers in Springfield's early history. Then, all of the similarly-designed "downtown" buildings in the "old district" near the river.

From there, the flow became pretty natural - a post-modern neighborhood with the Mapple store, El Chemistri, the Knowledgitorium. An "urban poor" district with the Sleep Eazy Motel and Helter Shelter. A "rural poor" district in the woods at the north end, with Cletus' farm, the Muntz house, and Willy's shack. The "uber wealthy" (Wolfcastle, Fat Tony) get beachfront property away from the boardwalk.

I explain away all the oddities (Pumpkin House, Elf House, Bad Dream House, King Homer's Skyscraper) by enclosing them all within a huge film lot fronted by Krustylu Studios / Channel 6.

With some of the new buildings (Costington's, ClausCo) I've had to build a second "downtown" type area way off to the North. Either I'll keep telling myself that it is a smaller township that got absorbed, or I'll end up redesigning.

These are just my ideas, but hopefully they will help spur some for you.

Tappy Happing. :)
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!