EA Forums - Banner

Who else has been victimized by the wrong town feature?

Replies

• Bravewall
    4253 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    jae_bazz wrote:
    neuroheart wrote:
    Has anyone gotten reimbursed? It's sounding like no one is getting their cash or donuts back.

From their official post on the issue, I think EA doesn't believe that the problem exists anymore... :( It seems as though they're approaching this problem as user error, not something that they're at fault for.

I changed that thread from "resolved" to "ongoing problem."
  • jae_bazz
    5730 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    Bravewall wrote:
    jae_bazz wrote:
    neuroheart wrote:
    Has anyone gotten reimbursed? It's sounding like no one is getting their cash or donuts back.

From their official post on the issue, I think EA doesn't believe that the problem exists anymore... :( It seems as though they're approaching this problem as user error, not something that they're at fault for.

Oh, my bad! For some reason, I thought that thread was EA's way of "closing" the issue. Guess I should have checked again before I posted. :oops:
  • Bravewall
    4253 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    jae_bazz wrote:
    Bravewall wrote:
    jae_bazz wrote:
    neuroheart wrote:

Oh, my bad! For some reason, I thought that thread was EA's way of "closing" the issue. Guess I should have checked again before I posted. :oops:
    No need to be sorry. I just did it, as I was reading this thread. I'm just as frustrated by it, as everyone else.
  • Mopurglar
    1048 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    neuroheart wrote:
    Not yet. It has been a week but I'm still optimistic, as the solution is pretty simple and any business would want to make it right.

That said, I think the main reason I'm calm about it is because I still have plenty of time to get my money back for the boatload from American Express, and it would be an incredibly easy dispute to win -- I can simply refer them to EA's official forums.8) Ultimately, a refund is a better deal than more virtual currency.

If someone were to actually offer me 15 donuts, I might just do that, as I don't know if I'd have the patience to file another ticket.
  • Samaranth01
    2182 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    Happened to me the other day. I was visiting my friends when the app quit (happens occasionally). When I went back in I was in a different SF. I backed out right away, went back in and got mine. I went back to my friends list and had done maybe half a dozen when I realized it wasn't mine. The names didn't look right and the friend points were all wrong. I went back to Springfield and checked to make sure it was still mine (it was) then went back to the friends list but it was still a different one. I finally closed the app completely and did a full shutdown of my pad. When I went back in everything was back to normal.

I still have no idea whose town I was in (sorry whoever it was). Hopefully they got the credit.
  • MizLiz612
    7 posts
    edited March 2014
    I had this happen this morning. First the "you didn't save from your other device " warning and then i was in someone else's SF. I logged out immediately since I was concerned that my SF was gone... what a WEIRD glitch!!
  • Mopurglar
    1048 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    Zozobras wrote:
    Any word from EA about how to avoid this problem?

Would it stop intruders if we log off our towns on finishing rather than leaving the town open?

Not all people that enter an unknown town are decent about it.
    Didn't have time to reply to this earlier b/c the explanation is extremely long, but my suspicion is that the act of signing into an account through Origin is what exposes one to risk. I base this on my own experience with this problem as well as the frequent reports of users ending up in wrong towns and quickly being kicked out by the original owners. If the wrong town you end up in were selected purely at random, it would be far, far more likely that the town is an inactive one or the owner is simply signed in on his phone but not actively playing.

Re: why I think the act of logging on exposes one to risk, I will explain. I am crazy enough to have five side towns. Though they are in disarray and have few neighbors, my OCD has kept them going. Back when I kept them all on the Ipad with the main town, I would go through them in sequence once each day, clearing/setting tasks and performing visits.

Sometime in late December or early January, one of my side towns mysteriously had all 4 of its stacked tiles cleared, sending it over the limit. I am sure this occurred within 1-2 hours of me signing into the town, and I believe my device was still signed in when I came back and noticed what had happened. It would be an unusual coincidence for someone to end up in a town that I neglect for 99.9% of the day at precisely the same time I log onto it.

Then, sometime about ~3 weeks ago, after having neglected my side towns for awhile, I logged into each of them to collect/set tasks and visit, then logged back into my main town. I started redesigning the whole area you see in the bottom corner of my panorama. I had about 20 loose ends haphazardly strewn around -- mostly cobblestone walls and small hedges. At some point early in the process, I got sidetracked with a phone call then came back to observe that 3 cobblestone walls and 2 small hedges were oriented in front of the Buddhist temple in a way that actually resembled a design:

o ||| o

I figured I was just being paranoid and didn't think much of it. Looking back now, I think it is more likely that someone ended up in my town and innocently made the small design with my loose ends before logging out.

When last week's incident occurred, I had cycled through my side towns not too long before I signed into my main town, then left for work with the Ipad still signed in. Based on a 24h task that the intruder set, I can say that he was in my town within an hour of this.

Needless to say, I have since moved all of the side towns to my phone and access the main town only through the Ipad, where it is always signed in.

So that we (users) can better pinpoint what is putting us at risk, I would ask the following:

Questions for people who have had their towns accessed by others:

1. What kind of device were you using?
    2. Do you keep other towns on your device?
    3. Did you freshly log into your account with your username/password on the same day it was accessed?
    4. Was your device still signed into your account when it was accessed? Or had you logged out completely?
    5. (If EA is reading and can use this: ) - What was the approximate date/time/timezone during which your town was accessed?

Please share -- thanks!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • jlenko
    69 posts
    edited March 2014
    Happened to me today, I logged in and it was definitely not my town.. nor one of my friends as the layout was completely foreign to me.

I just logged out and back in... all was good.
  • kmorg1
    8 posts
    edited March 2014
    I've never logged into another town, but I did have something odd happen tonight. While visiting friends I came across an unfamiliar name so I used the back and forward buttons and the names of those towns were right. I paid attention to every town I visited after that and all were correct. I assumed someone had changed their user name, but after reading this thread I opened back up and that name is no longer in my friends list. So either one of my friends changed their name back within 30 minutes or I visited a random town.
  • psukegreen
    539 posts
    edited March 2014
    I logged into a random town. I collected there money for them and then left.
  • jukan00
    2319 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    kmorg1 wrote:
    I've never logged into another town, but I did have something odd happen tonight. While visiting friends I came across an unfamiliar name so I used the back and forward buttons and the names of those towns were right. I paid attention to every town I visited after that and all were correct. I assumed someone had changed their user name, but after reading this thread I opened back up and that name is no longer in my friends list. So either one of my friends changed their name back within 30 minutes or I visited a random town.

The exact same thing happened to me today. I've never logged into someone else's town either. When I went back through my friends list that new name was gone. Been playing a year and that's never happened.
  • BabySapphire88
    13 posts
    edited March 2014
    I've been signed onto a few different accounts, but I always log out right after :P Just now I got a "This account has been signed onto a different device". I really hope EA fixes this...
  • ambug666
    54 posts
    edited March 2014
    I was totally logged into someone else's town this morning. First my iPad did the who "you other device didn't save" thing which was **** since I last logged in with the iPad. Then I got someone else's town.

I quit and tapped the desktop icon to go back in and it was then my town but it said I just achieved the singing sirloin when I already had homers car and I'm halfway to stampy.

I rebooted my iPad and it seems ok now.

This is the second time I was hit by the bug. Last year someone got access to my town and sold nearly all my premium buildings. Ea fixed it but this bug needs to end. It is a security nightmare.
  • theredjacket
    526 posts
    edited March 2014
    It bothers me that people keep saying they haven't been effected by this problem. Is it not just as likely that we have been effected, that someone has been in our towns and that they just didn't do anything?!?
  • GamerGD3
    3029 posts
    edited March 2014
    It bothers me that people keep saying they haven't been effected by this problem.

I believe this in reference of the actual signing into someone else's town. I can say that this hasn't happened to me yet.
    Is it not just as likely that we have been effected, that someone has been in our towns and that they just didn't do anything?!?

It's entirely possible someone signed into my town - but I haven't had anything altered (design wise), missing (stored/sold), or decrease in cash/donuts. But I hope if someone did log into my town - it would be left the way they found it - untouched.
  • frogger53
    685 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    I hope this is being worked on BIG TIME! This is a huge issue!!!
  • psideresider
    218 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    This happened to me last night. Logged into my town, and noticed instantly it wasn't mine. I immediately went to log out, but noticed something strange. Even though it wasn't my town, the friends list was mine. After logging out and in again, everything was back to normal.
  • tifaerie
    48 posts
    edited March 2014
    I have only been using my android lately, and almost every time it says the "other device" message, I end up in someone else's town. one it I backed out and it entered me into the same town several times. It does seem to be happening more frequently. Last time it did I took a screenshot of the other town.
  • ultimatechick
    236 posts
    edited March 2014
    I never, ever log in or out through Origin - no feeder towns, and no one else has access to my device, so why bother. Thus far my town has been unaffected, and I haven't gotten into anyone else's town (this does seem to happen upon login, so really, how could I) but I did have a random neighbor appear and then disappear from my friends list yesterday. Very odd, this. Hope it gets fixed soon!
  • neuroheart
    8132 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    I haven't gotten into anyone else's town (this does seem to happen upon login, so really, how could I)
    It may be more common right after logging on, but it happened to me after I had a few crashes while trying to do visits and reopened the game for about the fifth time. I was already logged in, same as I always am, but I saw a town that wasn't mine. It was very surreal.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!