EA Forums - Banner

Benevolent IRA?

13Next

Replies

  • Donut-OBrien
    4 posts
    edited March 2014
    So the Saint Patricks Day storyline has a reference during the colour blind thing to Tom joining the "benevolent IRA". For those not from the UK who are unaware the IRA murdered many innocent people in bomb attacks an the UK mainland, including people in the city I grew up in. Now it maybe the game makers are trying to be ironic but it is in the most appalling taste. Absolutely disgusting.

    Last time I spend a penny on this and maybe any EA product.

    I don't normally rant about things like this but they really need to think about what they class as humour (humor to you EA).

    Thank you.


    Then you might want to steer clear of Family Guy Tapped Out when it comes out...

    ...or South Park: The Stick of Truth. God forbid.

    ...or any shoot-em-up & blow-stuff-up game that's popular in gaming today.

  • jsidd3
    37 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    tbf, the UK did take over and annex northern Ireland. the only reason the citizens of the UK suffered this time around is because it was so close. Unlike their forays into India, North America and Africa, etc etc.

    Please don't act like its offensive because there was fault on both sides. Just finished my MA in the UK and my professor was actually in the Royal Army and served in Northern Ireland for a spell. What he could say to us in a course focused on Terror, Security and Global Politics, the UK has plenty of blood on its hands as well in the conflict with Ireland. So please don't act like the victim.
  • WolfyDiesel
    134 posts
    edited March 2014
    So I just reached the point in the questline where the comment is made, and now i am wholly convinced this is much ado about nothing. The obvious joke is that Tom O'Flanagan is taking an absurd position to find communism "sinister" while considering the IRA "benevolent." The audience is all in on the joke. To view this as some sort of pro-IRA propaganda is laughable. Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad.
  • soapy_84
    67 posts
    edited March 2014
    jsidd3 wrote:
    tbf, the UK did take over and annex northern Ireland. the only reason the citizens of the UK suffered this time around is because it was so close. Unlike their forays into India, North America and Africa, etc etc.

    Please don't act like its offensive because there was fault on both sides. Just finished my MA in the UK and my professor was actually in the Royal Army and served in Northern Ireland for a spell. What he could say to us in a course focused on Terror, Security and Global Politics, the UK has plenty of blood on its hands as well in the conflict with Ireland. So please don't act like the victim.

    Wow for someone claiming to have done a masters this comment is riddled with rubbish.

    Annexed Northern Ireland? What are you talking about? The entirety of Ireland was part of the UK, when independence came the whole of Ireland became the Irish free state. Several days later the counties of Ulster which now make up Northern Ireland voted to return to the UK.

    There is no such thing as the Royal Army, Royal Navy and Airforce yes, Army no. The Army was not on the side of the royal family during the civil war hence not royal.

    Also just because the UK might have blood on its hand does not mean people can't get upset if the subject is made light of especially when people are still being killed over the issue. Even more so on my part when I have family members who were killed during the troubles.
  • WolfyDiesel
    134 posts
    edited March 2014
    Let's not glorify a masters degree. It's the modern day equivalent of a bachelors in communications.
  • GamerGD3
    3029 posts
    edited March 2014
    Well I learned something today. I thought it was a typo for the NRA.
  • jsidd3
    37 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    Fine, its not Royal army, but tbh the word royal does tend to get tossed around a lot over there. Either way, its just like the situation in Crimea, who cares if the vote occurred, the fact is that if the UK decided to stay out of it the acts of the IRA probably would not have happened. Though the UK shipping over Protestants to the northern part of Ireland was really the only way that vote came about. Put enough of your own people there and let 'self determination' take hold.

    NI voted, the UK accepted and then annexed them into the Kingdom.



    btw, you did read the whole line made by the character right?

    "This is worse than when I accidentally joined the sinister Communist Party thinking it was the benevolent IRA!" --- I think when comparing the 2, the IRA would be the more benevolent group. (the lesser of two evils).
  • soapy_84
    67 posts
    edited March 2014
    jsidd3 wrote:
    Fine, its not Royal army, but tbh the word royal does tend to get tossed around a lot over there. Either way, its just like the situation in Crimea, who cares if the vote occurred, the fact is that if the UK decided to stay out of it the acts of the IRA probably would not have happened. Though the UK shipping over Protestants to the northern part of Ireland was really the only way that vote came about. Put enough of your own people there and let 'self determination' take hold.

    NI voted, the UK accepted and then annexed them into the Kingdom.



    btw, you did read the whole line made by the character right?

    "This is worse than when I accidentally joined the sinister Communist Party thinking it was the benevolent IRA!" --- I think when comparing the 2, the IRA would be the more benevolent group. (the lesser of two evils).

    But your talking about actions of a country hundreds of years ago on the ideals of the year 2014. Obviously now the UK would not ship out protestants to colonise Ireland but that was the way of the work.d. Your looking at it way to simplistic on your argument every non native american should go back to where they came from and the natives should be in charge.
    You seem to have no grasp of the history at all. During the easter rising (what led to independence) the rebels were spat at and pelted with food by the residents of Dublin. The uprising was very unpopular and the people wished to remain British. Obviously things changed and they got there independence but to say the people in the north should not have had the right to self determination is crazy.

    Try telling the people of Northern Ireland and cities all over England who were terrorised, maimed and killed that the communists are worse. No reports of communists trying to kill Police in Belfast last Friday night.
  • jsidd3
    37 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    It all sucks, its not great, but in the end every country reaps what it sows. There's nothing that can be done about it now. So many nations have dealt with this problem where their past actions resulted in terrible events for them later on. EA needed new jokes from last year's SPE, so they made it. It's not nearly as bad as it could have been had this been family guy or even south park. I just don't think brits need to keep harping on something that only happened because of their past misdeeds. Right now the US is stuck with something similar because of their past actions/inactions. Accept it and move on, because violence won't stop.


    So let's petition EA to send out an apology, while we're at it lets get the UK to repeal schedule 7, have Denmark repeal its laws targeting religious and ethnic minorities, have Russia pull its 'soldiers' from Crimea and let it stay with Ukraine, and get half a million or so other things done around the globe so that we all won't feel upset. cool?




  • cdepast
    2463 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    The Simpsons have joked about/ referenced the IRA many times on the show, as well as made a lot of fun at Irish people too - just do a google search.

    Sex, Pies and Idiot Scrapes (Season 20)

    Bart: [watching the *. Patrick's Day celebrations] Urgh, where's the IRA when you need them?

    Ex-IRA Member: We renounced the ways of the gun and the bomb. [A double decker bus bearing a Union Jack drives past] Oh, in the old days, we'd have been all over that.

    Marge: This was such a pleasant *. Patrick's Day until Irish people showed up.

  • Excruciator69
    697 posts
    edited March 2014
    The Simpsons is a social/political satire. These kinds of jokes will be made. I lived in NY during 9/11 and I can't get myself all worked up every time someone makes a distasteful joke about the Twin Towers, Muslims, terrorism, etc. I don't think you need to get worked up about it. The creators of the game/Fox/The Simpsons' writers all know the despicable things that the IRA has done, it doesn't stop them from making a joke about them nor should it. It wasn't directed at you.

    +1.

    The OP reeks of having no problems with any of the satire until a nerve was struck.

    The writers were not endorsing the IRA...the writers were riffing the very real possibility that a man from Ireland might honestly believe the IRA is on the side of what is right. Absolutely plausible.

    Was the OP's skin this thin the last time the Civil War was called "The War of Northern Aggression" in any context?
  • soapy_84
    67 posts
    edited March 2014
    jsidd3 wrote:
    It all sucks, its not great, but in the end every country reaps what it sows. There's nothing that can be done about it now. So many nations have dealt with this problem where their past actions resulted in terrible events for them later on. EA needed new jokes from last year's SPE, so they made it. It's not nearly as bad as it could have been had this been family guy or even south park. I just don't think brits need to keep harping on something that only happened because of their past misdeeds. Right now the US is stuck with something similar because of their past actions/inactions. Accept it and move on.


    As I said in my first post if it was close to funny I would have let them off but it was just poor writing.
  • jsidd3
    37 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    I know muslims who play this game, but they never got bent out of shape on that episode where Homer goes to that conference and gets brainwashed. Everything on there looked like an episode of 24 but it turned out it was eco-guys. Some told me it was funny, others just kept it to themselves because its FOX.

    Just look at what they have on their channel and then on their news channel. People who take their words seriously is really needing some sort of help.

    I'm really waiting for one day someone on Fox News to just look up and say, "okay guys this joke has gone on long enough, hope you enjoyed it"
  • drumnman
    1475 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    Let's not glorify a masters degree. It's the modern day equivalent of a bachelors in communications.

    Show me yours and I'll show you mine.
  • jsidd3
    37 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    drumnman wrote:
    Let's not glorify a masters degree. It's the modern day equivalent of a bachelors in communications.

    Show me yours and I'll show you mine.

    Yeah, I'm enjoying my equivalent of a bachelors in communications making 70k right off the bat.
  • theredjacket
    526 posts
    edited March 2014
    The television show, and game itself, are litered with political satires. If you have truly watched the show this long, and truly care about the feelings of others you'd have left long ago.

    And for a reference to the Twin Towers see the episode "Moonshine River" where bart says to homer, "Come on, Dad. You love New York, now that your two least favorite buildings have been obliterated," dramatic pause, "Old Penn Station and Shea stadium." Now I will agree that they back out of the joke after the pause, but we all know what they are joking about, especially considering the problems Homer had finding a washroom in the Twin Towers during "The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson."

    Edit: Let's not forget the episode where Homer assumes a Muslim is a terrorist just because he's a Muslim: “Mypods and Broomsticks”
  • aSkydude252
    168 posts
    edited March 2014
    The television show, and game itself, are litered with political satires. If you have truly watched the show this long, and truly care about the feelings of others you'd have left long ago.

    And for a reference to the Twin Towers see the episode "Moonshine River" where bart says to homer, "Come on, Dad. You love New York, now that your two least favorite buildings have been obliterated," dramatic pause, "Old Penn Station and Shea stadium." Now I will agree that they back out of the joke after the pause, but we all know what they are joking about, especially considering the problems Homer had finding a washroom in the Twin Towers during "The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson."

    Edit: Let's not forget the episode where Homer assumes a Muslim is a terrorist just because he's a Muslim: “Mypods and Broomsticks”

    You beat me to the WTC reference, was just about to post that. One of the most hilarious moments in the show, because while some would argue they crossed a line, I would say that they came right up to it, which to me is the best sort of comedy...almost, but not quite awful. Particularly because it was also a continuity nod (which in general I love).
  • edited March 2014
    I don't log into forums this is my first time I need to respond to this I am from Northern Ireland the Ira killed 3000 people in my country most of who were just everyday people trying to get by how that being said the joke seemed to be more sarcastic than anything to describe mass murders as benevolent could be nothing but, it is in bad taste considering the problems we have with victims of the troubles getting justice and the threat from the other Ira groups I would think that whoever writes for ea should have done there home work a bit better and to Anna the wicked I could guess at your background please read up on the troubles before you open your mouth the Ira killed Irish people in fact most victims were Irish not English, the population of Northern Ireland is 99% Irish who have chosen to remain part of the uk the English are not over here on horseback wearing red coats burning down are mud huts and if you think that most Irish people would support the Ira I dare you to come here and stop any person on the street and ask them that and regardless of what side of the border you on what group you belong to because all of us were victims of the so called war of freedom
  • sacrlc
    15 posts
    edited March 2014
    Mopurglar wrote:
    Since I'm not that far yet in the quest, I found a walkthrough that has the dialogue. Spoiler / highlight to see text:



    IMO, the reference is definitely not pro-IRA. If anything, the word 'benevolent' is thrown in there in a sarcastic and ironic way.

    Thanks Mopar for the Dialogue I have deleted it in this copy just in case. It places it in proper perspective. I do approve of the violent IRA, creators of the Car bomb. They at least have renounced their previous methods (but not splinter IRA groups)

    Point taken, I relinquish my earlier comments.
  • sacrlc
    15 posts
    edited March 2014
    OOPs! wrong quote earlier. duh.
    neuroheart wrote:
    To me it sounds like he was referring to a separate organization, like there's the IRA that isn't benevolent, and then "the benevolent IRA" has bake sales and sends random flower deliveries or something. Just me, I guess.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!