EA Forums - Banner

Easter boxes content is predetermined

jankrohn
197 posts Member
How do I disable wifi in game on my ipod?

Replies

• direwolf987
    7450 posts Member
    edited May 2014
    I can confirm this as well. It's predetermined for each town. I have 4 towns and all had different prizes for at least the first 10. Stopped paying attention after that.
  • jankrohn
    197 posts Member
    edited May 2014
    I don't know on iPod / iPad. It's easy on Android.

Fool proof method - switch off the wifi router :mrgreen:
  • NMayo
    898 posts
    edited May 2014
    wowowooww... we all knew the wheel sucked, but 3 wheels, LOADED! lols.. its nice to see that u took the effort to figure out the cycle, thank you good person!! now we can all see the proof that the wheel *cough* box *cough* is always friggin rigged.
  • jankrohn
    197 posts Member
    edited May 2014
    I figured out the cycle for the single reason because I thought I had a freaking genius idea to cheat the game... D'oh!
  • drumnman
    1475 posts Member
    edited May 2014
    We can still hold out hope that this rigged system is programmed to start dropping the goody goods next week as the end of the event draws closer!!

But probably not. :(

8n5tj.jpg
  • MusicBooks960
    903 posts Member
    edited May 2014
    jankrohn wrote:
    Here's the proof. Test it out yourselves. Reproducible steps:

* Switch of Wi-Fi and 3G while playing the game.
    * You now have a few seconds of gameplay before the next sync happens
    * Quickly open a number of boxes and remember what you get
    * Exit the game, force it to stop, and delete game data and cache
    * Start the game and redownload the data
    * Redo all these steps

You get the same crappy stuff every single time. Even if you do some other actions in between, or wait a day between the tries. You get the same items even if you open the boxes in a different order.
    l
    True random outcome woud render different stuff in each go.
    As I pointed out in one of the other threads, one of the most impossible thing to create, from a software point of view, is a true random system. Why do you think they call it "shuffle" on an Ipod, and not "random"? If it were truly random, there's the possibility it could play the same song 88 times in a row. Having said that, I'm glad you took your hypothesis several steps further, thank you for that. It just goes to prove EA's been screwing us over for the whole lousy, broken, infuriating event.
  • cogitoergosum8
    455 posts
    edited May 2014
    jankrohn wrote:

* Redo all these steps

You get the same crappy stuff every single time. Even if you do some other actions in between, or wait a day between the tries. You get the same items even if you open the boxes in a different order.
    l

So this is pretty much proof of the event being rigged. I'm kicking myself for spending about 150 donuts on this event. :x
  • anonSimpson
    363 posts Member
    edited May 2014
    Number generation is only pseudo-random.

The game probably uses each user's individual ID number (you can find it in the settings) as the seed value. This creates repeatability in generating numbers causing the effect described in the first post.

No, this does not mean the game is rigged or EA is screwing us over.
  • timberwuf
    520 posts
    edited May 2014
    I want my Blocko building EA
  • GamerGD3
    3029 posts New member
    edited May 2014
    jankrohn wrote:

* Redo all these steps

l

So this is pretty much proof of the event being rigged. I'm kicking myself for spending about 150 donuts on this event. :x

I'm more thankful that mine were spent - seeing as I wouldn't have opened that many gold boxes had I not.
  • ehoffa21
    427 posts
    edited May 2014
    drumnman wrote:
    We can still hold out hope that this rigged system is programmed to start dropping the goody goods next week as the end of the event draws closer!!

But probably not. :(

8n5tj.jpg

This is why I am waiting and hoarding eggs. I am hoping that the odds shift/predetermined in our favor.
  • KillaSqirl
    1763 posts Member
    edited May 2014
    I don't think this is correct and there is a logical alternative explanation. As soon as the box is bought, the app randomly picks the prize and saves it to local memory. After force closing and restarting, the app syncs the town to the file saved on the servers but the next prize is still saved locally so that's why it comes up again when you buy the box the second time. To test this theory you need two devices with the app loaded. First steps are the same, disconnect from the interwebs, buy box, note prize and force close. Now open your town on the second device and buy the same box and you will likely get a different prize. Of course there is the chance of randomly selecting the same prize consecutive times, so this test case would need to be reproduced multiple times.

I got this theory from another thread about misery boxes, but I'm pretty sure the functionality would be the same. I have two devices, and I may be able to try out this version of the test later tonight if I get a chance. Sorry to take a little air out of the bubble, I dislike almost everything else about this awful event, but I think the boxes are fair in this regard.
  • jankrohn
    197 posts Member
    edited May 2014
    As I pointed out in one of the other threads, one of the most impossible thing to create, from a software point of view, is a true random system.

Google for "Yarrow algorithm". Clearly, TSTO doesn't use it. However, true randomness is possible if the algorithm considers randomness initiated by the user, or other non software related values like temperature, cpu fan speed etc.
  • anonSimpson
    363 posts Member
    edited May 2014
    jankrohn wrote:
    As I pointed out in one of the other threads, one of the most impossible thing to create, from a software point of view, is a true random system.

Google for "Yarrow algorithm". Clearly, TSTO doesn't use it. However, true randomness is possible if the algorithm considers randomness initiated by the user, or other non software related values like temperature, cpu fan speed etc.

But that is completely overkill for a game and from the sound of it would cause a lot of problems when trying to port the game across many different devices.
  • cogitoergosum8
    455 posts
    edited May 2014
    GamerGD3 wrote:
    jankrohn wrote:

* Redo all these steps

l

I'm more thankful that mine were spent - seeing as I wouldn't have opened that many gold boxes had I not.

Yeah, I suppose there's one good thing about spending all those donuts. I have a higher tally of gold boxes, so I COULD get Shary Bobbins or Hugs Bunny if I reach the amount you need to get the guarantee. I haven't really kept track of how many boxes I've opened though, so I have no idea if I'm close or not.
  • rmb256982
    67 posts
    edited May 2014
    I also think that Springfield Downs is like a wheel. It just doesn't have a picture indicator or wheel to show us our most wanted prize skipping by. In one of the races it says something like "now by a random number generated in this app, your dog didn't win!" Another race is announced and finished with " and now Fat Tony informs me that (not your dog) who is currently napping in the backstretch is the winner". Further proof that they are all wheels, and all predetermined. And that the game is mocking us. :shock: Nobody complains about SD, because there is no real investment or real loss. We all feel a little happy when our dog wins, and a little amazement when we chose the one with the worst odds. When we loose, we blame it on the randomness of the app, or Fat Tony's corrupt self. Sideshow You is also like a wheel, but with one of the prizes, then the next removed, as you spin it (throw darts). After every 500ish spins you automatically get 5 donuts. This is my favorite type of wheel. However, I think that the best way to do prizes was the Halloween 2013 way. The more you played, the more you earned. Much better than the play a lot for a CHANCE to win little or nothing way we have going now.
  • johnny50373
    2768 posts Member
    edited May 2014
    Oracle, will I get the characters?
  • MusicBooks960
    903 posts Member
    edited May 2014
    jankrohn wrote:

Pseudo-random number generator, but on the other hand if it's sufficient for cryptography...Why are you not working at EA, since you are obviously far more capable of thinking outside the box then anyone currently working there? Seriously. :D
  • mwdalton
    11545 posts Member
    edited May 2014
    The odds for each item is more than sufficient to explain the variability in the results different people achieve. Also, they would code in ways to prevent people from cheating the system, so the whole 'turn off wifi' thing is not necessarily a proof of anything.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.