EA Forums - Banner

Advice for remodeling town?

I'd probably keep them out. This way you can see what you have to work with. Grouping buildings together might help.

Replies

• mr_skeltal_80
    18123 posts Member
    edited May 2014
    I'd probably keep them out. This way you can see what you have to work with. Grouping buildings together might help.

Yeah, me too. I would only store a building if you really need the space. Houses can easily be stored of course. Im talking about th the one of a kind building and Houses that have characters connected to them.

Good luck on your redesign! Post some pics here always Nice to see! :thumbup:
  • Indys2nd
    1906 posts Member
    edited May 2014
    I would not put the premium buildings into storage just because you don't want to accidentally sell them when taking them out. That's how I lost the motel and Miss Springfield (she's premium now, but I got her last year when she wasn't.) Also, if you have any limited time buildings (like those of us who managed to get the Cool Brown House) don't put those into storage. I have seen where they are all of the sudden locked and unable to be used, due to a glitch.
  • RobbirdPants
    15 posts Member
    edited May 2014
    I'm in a similar situation. I too am redesigning due to buying more land and my question is, how much land did you buy? I ask because I found that buying three or so squares at a time (instead of seven or more) helped keep the idea of a redesign simple and undaunting.

Also, I found that isolating all the municipal buildings (City Hall, Post Office, Police Office, Courthouse, Library, Community Center, and even Calmwood) and placing them on the new land first has helped me organize my ideas.

Hope this helps!
  • jp91113
    4 posts
    edited May 2014
    Buy all the land first. It makes it easier to place your buildings and also to figure out how large you want your lots to be. I started in one of the corners and moved in both directions, so that I wasn't left with an odd sized area. Good luck.
  • prixton1
    270 posts
    edited May 2014
    Thanks for all the advice everyone, it's very helpful! :D
    I'm in a similar situation. I too am redesigning due to buying more land and my question is, how much land did you buy? I ask because I found that buying three or so squares at a time (instead of seven or more) helped keep the idea of a redesign simple and undaunting.

Well, I've kept my Springfield exactly the same since I started it, I've just continued to build outward around parts that were already built. I've been thinking for a while though that I need to take everything down completely and start over, mostly because the oldest/first parts of the town were built when I was cash-strapped and didn't have much land. The layout in those parts isn't bad, but I'd like things to be more spread out. I also made a park in the middle of my town way back around level 6 or something, but it's way too small and needs to be made bigger (and being smack dab in the middle of everything means it all has to be shifted around).

Therefore, I bought one row to the south and one column to the east, it was about $2.8 million worth of land. I like the idea of grouping like buildings together, and I'll make sure to just store ugly brown houses (I don't have the cool one, wish I did) and plain blue and pink ones when I need to.

I'll try to post pics, I guess it's probably a good idea to get a before shot, too...

Thanks again everyone!
  • NookanCranny356
    10 posts
    edited May 2014
    On my main town I am giving it an entire overhaul. Here are my tips:
    1. Raise enough money to buy ALL of the land (lol)
    2. Clear out EVERY PIECE OF RUBBISH (THis takes like 2 hours all up I think)
    3. Raise enough money to buy EVERY BUILDING
    4. DO NOT BUY DECORATIONS unless you need them. It's annoying flipping back into your inventory. If you think an item looks good, just buy it as you are decorating that area. Don't buy it then flip it back into your inventory. Just a nuisance really.
    5. Work at it SECTION by SECTION. If you are starting to get bored decorating, then quit the game and take a break. You're just going to regret doing a lazy job at the end if you are burnt out - and you'll just end up remodelling it anyway!
    6. Get inspiration! Look at the original springfield on the show and drag ideas from that! Gaze this forum and be inspired! DON'T DIRECTLY COPY IT JUST USE IT TO HAVE YOUR OWN INTERPRETATION.
    7. Be Practical! If you want to make a legit looking town like on the sims, then make sure everything you create is practical and can be seen happening in a real life situation i.e. gates leading to the power plant with an easy to access, functional car park.
    8. ???
    9. Profit!

Good Luck! 8)
  • sandwedgeking
    2639 posts Member
    edited May 2014
    I would suggest you think twice about cleaning up ALL of the debris - you never know, you may want to use some for a future design. I understand there are a few donuts that can be found, but I have almost no "trash" left in my town and I absolutely regret it.

If you need a place to store all that "rubbish," consider something like this from mpwarner:
    eXffru0l.jpg?1
    or this from my 2nd town:
    ObFxNNNl.jpg
    Stuff and Things - Designs by SWK
  • 4junk3000
    5275 posts Member
    edited May 2014
    I'm about 90% done with my complete rebuild. Even though I'm level 40 with xp, i stopped missions back at getting Sanjhays house jest to focus on buying land. (i don't accrue money quickly)

I still need the last 5 squares in the upper right corner, the most expensive land. But most of my town is reconfigured.

Tips above are excellent. But i see a lot of people move everything to one side, that's not necessary. I did move all bonus multiplier decos to a remote corner though.

I worked on sections as they appealed to me. I started with the town square, then the beach, then the mall, the countryside, the industrial area, etc. This helps you group buildings, find an arrangement you like, then put roads and see how pavement lays out to make side walls and parking lots or driveways. You'll shift buildings to match the limitations of the pavement now, before decorations.

Then easter came and i decided to redo the whole beach including the SP entrance dock. So DONT decorate until you are sure you're done with building layout! A change may occur to you mid way.

Bounce around on sections as inspiration comes, don't try to force a finish or you'll get irritated with it all. I have still not finished my town square as i keep fighting over placement.

I use training walls to represent premium buildings i don't yet own but would like to someday.

Complete sections then work out the seams later, like a jigsaw puzzle. Only once i was certain i liked a final building layout would i add decorations.

I personally used a lot of reference pics from the show but I'm trying for an authentic town. If you want to get into that it gets a little more frustrating. Some things are modeled after the show art, like my power plant, and some have creative license like my grocery.

Post pics in the showcase threads when you are done! I just posted my finished grocery store in the thread for that building.

Good luck!
    "You're the most negative person I've ever seen on here. Constantly."
  • 4junk3000
    5275 posts Member
    edited May 2014
    I would suggest you think twice about cleaning up ALL of the debris - you never know, you may want to use some for a future design. I understand there are a few donuts that can be found, but I have almost no "trash" left in my town and I absolutely regret it.

If you need a place to store all that "rubbish," consider something like this from mpwarner:
    eXffru0l.jpg?1
    or this from my 2nd town:
    ObFxNNNl.jpg

It's true! I kept a bunch of barrels and made a hidden toxic waste dump site in the woods!
    "You're the most negative person I've ever seen on here. Constantly."
  • ASoldiersEyes
    181 posts Member
    edited May 2014
    4junk3000 wrote:

I worked on sections as they appealed to me. I started with the town square, then the beach, then the mall, the countryside, the industrial area, etc. This helps you group buildings, find an arrangement you like, then put roads and see how pavement lays out to make side walls and parking lots or driveways. You'll shift buildings to match the limitations of the pavement now, before decorations.

Bounce around on sections as inspiration comes, don't try to force a finish or you'll get irritated with it all. I have still not finished my town square as i keep fighting over placement.

Complete sections then work out the seams later, like a jigsaw puzzle. Only once i was certain i liked a final building layout would i add decorations.

Post pics in the showcase threads when you are done! I just posted my finished grocery store in the thread for that building.

Good luck!

I couldn't agree more with 4junk3000, this is exactly what I came in here to write :)
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!