EA Forums - Banner

Town Census should be more organised

2Next

Replies

• efin98
    5856 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    For the "more organization" crowd: would submenus which are alphabetized work? One for characters awaiting tasks and one for characters completing tasks?
  • annettemarc
    7747 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    efin98 wrote:
    For the "more organization" crowd: would submenus which are alphabetized work? One for characters awaiting tasks and one for characters completing tasks?

Or a "Sort By" button, and choose "by name" or "by task status" and in the task status option, the alphabetically arranged sub menus you describe. ...

(That screaming sound we hear is the entire programming team just imagining how glitchy this could get, and what we would do.)
    USA/UK Race To Throw Country Into Utter Chaos = TOO CLOSE TO CALL
  • XBL-Heretic
    1228 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    I agree that alphabetized the way it is now is best. I wouldn't want to see it broken down into sub menus or grouped by family or job type.

I do like the idea of having the alphabet listed down the right hand side so you could tap on a letter to get you close to the character. Just like the contact list on my android phone, which if you think about it, the census is just like a contact list.

I like annett's color coding idea (idle, on-task, complete, and in KL), and would also like to see the time remaining for any on-task character.

If EA did everything I listed above, they could do away with the original character selector IMHO.

I would absolutely like to see the decoration menu sorted alphabetically (bush, tree, bench, etc) with event items prefaced with their event name (Easter-Tree, V-day-Pond, x-mas-tree, etc).
  • loner_chick
    32 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    I agree that alphabetized the way it is now is best. I wouldn't want to see it broken down into sub menus or grouped by family or job type.

I do like the idea of having the alphabet listed down the right hand side so you could tap on a letter to get you close to the character. Just like the contact list on my android phone, which if you think about it, the census is just like a contact list.

I like annett's color coding idea (idle, on-task, complete, and in KL), and would also like to see the time remaining for any on-task character.

If EA did everything I listed above, they could do away with the original character selector IMHO.

I would absolutely like to see the decoration menu sorted alphabetically (bush, tree, bench, etc) with event items prefaced with their event name (Easter-Tree, V-day-Pond, x-mas-tree, etc).

I'm not sure I would want the original character selector to go away because when you click on someone from the town hall it takes you to that part of time. To start the next person on a task you have to scroll back to the town hall. If I am setting the whole town on tasks it is easier to just use the character selector.

I say leave it alone for now. It actually works!
  • efin98
    5856 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    efin98 wrote:

Or a "Sort By" button, and choose "by name" or "by task status" and in the task status option, the alphabetically arranged sub menus you describe. ...

That's pretty good idea especially if sort by includes an option to sort by soonest completed.
    (That screaming sound we hear is the entire programming team just imagining how glitchy this could get, and what we would do.)

Excellent :twisted: :lol:
  • utfan2000200
    143 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    Kozzi59 wrote:
    mwdalton wrote:
    baddazoner wrote:
    The list is in alphabetical order, so it's got that going for it. :)

i just wish they finally start grouping common things together to make it easier to find stuff

Alphabetical makes it pretty easy to find stuff. I want Krusty, I look at K. I want Skinner, I look at S. Etcetera.

You can jump to the letter? Woah, I'm impressed :shock:

Damned if I can find Etcetera tho :?

Etcetera was limited time from the I Love Lucy episode tie in on February 23 2012.
  • annettemarc
    7747 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    Kozzi59 wrote:
    mwdalton wrote:
    baddazoner wrote:
    The list is in alphabetical order, so it's got that going for it. :)

i just wish they finally start grouping common things together to make it easier to find stuff

Alphabetical makes it pretty easy to find stuff. I want Krusty, I look at K. I want Skinner, I look at S. Etcetera.

You can jump to the letter? Woah, I'm impressed :shock:

Damned if I can find Etcetera tho :?

Etcetera was limited time from the I Love Lucy episode tie in on February 23 2012.

LOL! Was that the episode titled "Morning Becomes Etcetera"?

(Apologies to Eugene O'Neill.)
    USA/UK Race To Throw Country Into Utter Chaos = TOO CLOSE TO CALL
  • johnny50373
    2768 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    baddazoner wrote:
    The characters are in alphabetical order(it scrolls fast) and the decorations are in order of level requirement(makes sense).

decorations are not organised well at all it's stupid having to scroll thru a whole page to find a tree then scroll back to find something else.

Sooo... You want them all on the same page?
    Having them sorted by level makes the most sense. As you progress decos unlock. If they were in alphabetical order, new players would have to scroll through tons of locked items, then back. It's a new player/veteran plus/minus thing. Veterans have the experience. Veterans should remember where the trees are.
  • kb865supra
    16 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    DAC-UK5 wrote:
    Isn't alphabetical order far better than having to remember or work out which category someone would be in?

It's in alphabetical order and it scrolls quickly and smoothly - how would any other system be an improvement?

Agreed. Next thing you know people wil be expecting EA to devise a method to read our minds because scrolling and tapping is too much work and takes too long. Yeesh! I'm sure the programmers are banging their heads on their desks reading this.
  • Aennilya
    636 posts
    edited June 2014
    Alpha with color coding sounds terrific! This way you could easily find any particular character (via alphabet) and also zoom (loving the fast scroll) through the list to see who's on, not on, or has completed a task. Since the two typical types of play style seem to be either all characters free or all characters on the same schedule, your list would most likely be all the same color, so any character needing attention would jump out (being a different color from th rest) as you whiz through your list. Voil?. Sounds ideal.

I use a combo of the original character selector and just moving through town to assign tasks. And now with the City Hall locator the only problem I have left are those fast-moving characters whose yellow thumbs-up I miss, sometimes even on repeated visits.
  • letsridebikes
    470 posts
    edited June 2014
    I like the alphabetical listing. It would be nice if they could somehow color code by status (idle, on task, finished task) ... They apparently can do the color coding already, because when I look at the census and someone is in Krustyland, the font/button is yellow. (Which is awesome!) From that, I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that it would be possible to employ other colors.
    I love this idea and would like to see it implemented someday. I'm sure people would just gripe about which color meant what, though, and there'd be threads like: "too many colors is too complicated, why can't things be simple again???"

Ugh.
    baddazoner wrote:
    The characters are in alphabetical order(it scrolls fast) and the decorations are in order of level requirement(makes sense).

decorations are not organised well at all it's stupid having to scroll thru a whole page to find a tree then scroll back to find something else.

Sooo... You want them all on the same page?
    Having them sorted by level makes the most sense. As you progress decos unlock. If they were in alphabetical order, new players would have to scroll through tons of locked items, then back. It's a new player/veteran plus/minus thing. Veterans have the experience. Veterans should remember where the trees are.
    Yep!

I'm almost as sick of this complaint as anything on this forum.
  • Ningyo42
    1465 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    All is like is for the census window to be a little taller. :)
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.