EA Forums - Banner

So all of the South are Bigots?

Replies

• 88young_r
    39 posts
    edited June 2014
    jukan00 wrote:
    Originally from Michigan

Originally from Ohio and we have ALOT of jokes about Michigan. But I'm sure you knew that lol
  • cooldaddy421
    249 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    I live in the deep south, right above the GA FA line, and I can tell you some story's. But yea man I can it is all cool with me that this game is making fun of us. Who cares this game and show make fun of lots of people. I am not going to loose any sleep over it. It is kind of funny and I make many jokes my self about living here. So OP peace out and have an brew and enjoy the game.
  • jukan00
    2320 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    88young_r wrote:
    jukan00 wrote:
    Originally from Michigan

Originally from Ohio and we have ALOT of jokes about Michigan. But I'm sure you knew that lol

Well of course you'd have to, I mean there's nothing else (Besides Cedar Point) worthwhile in your entire rust belt state. :D

Why is Michigan so windy? Because Ohio sucks.
  • sojournfan
    584 posts
    edited June 2014
    My favorite college football teams are Ohio State and anyone who beats Michigan. :P
  • ynotbgreen
    64 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    I get torn on the topic. I was raised not to tolerate any joke about any group of people. My dad stopped a comedy show over a Polish joke. demeaning people can...and has...led to justification of persecution. Real harm. Discrimination. Brutality. Serious stuff and real.

But I also think of intent. I don't see this game or show as hateful or having evil intent. Is the message all southerners are bigots, or that there is bigotry in this world and it is ridiculous? I don't know about you, but I can find examples of all the characters in real life..or parts of them anyway...sometimes exaggerated....sometimes not :) We all know them...or are them... Wouldn't be funny if we didn't or if there was not a ring of truth somewhere. Each pathetic character has their place in the town and our hearts. And the jokes are funny, but leave us all with some real work to do in the real world.
  • 4junk3000
    6183 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    ynotbgreen wrote:
    I get torn on the topic. I was raised not to tolerate any joke about any group of people. My dad stopped a comedy show over a Polish joke. demeaning people can...and has...led to justification of persecution. Real harm. Discrimination. Brutality. Serious stuff and real.

But I also think of intent. I don't see this game or show as hateful or having evil intent. Is the message all southerners are bigots, or that there is bigotry in this world and it is ridiculous? I don't know about you, but I can find examples of all the characters in real life..or parts of them anyway...sometimes exaggerated....sometimes not :) We all know them...or are them... Wouldn't be funny if we didn't or if there was not a ring of truth somewhere. Each pathetic character has their place in the town and our hearts. And the jokes are funny, but leave us all with some real work to do in the real world.

Intolerance is appropriate for violence and oppression of human Rights.

Tolerance is appropriate for free speech.

When all people learn to dismiss irrational opinions as fool hardy, words will no longer "lead to real harm". There never is " justification for brutality" in a truly humane society.

It's too bad we can't get everyone on board with this mentality, but too many people enjoy feeding on others.

All my designs look unfinished because i can't place as many plants, streetlights, and fences as i would like. PLEASE REMOVE THE LIMIT, EA!
  • 88young_r
    39 posts
    edited June 2014
    jukan00 wrote:
    88young_r wrote:
    jukan00 wrote:
    Originally from Michigan

Well of course you'd have to, I mean there's nothing else (Besides Cedar Point) worthwhile in your entire rust belt state. :D

Well, Cedar Point and that team that makes y'all cry every year. I can't wait for that state up north to sink to bottom of the great lakes...too bad crap floats ;)
  • 88young_r
    39 posts
    edited June 2014
    sojournfan wrote:
    My favorite college football teams are Ohio State and anyone who beats Michigan. :P

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
  • 25afb2160b24fe61
    61 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    rolybert7 wrote:
    Well being an alien from Saturn I am totally offended at the way aliens are portrayed!

I don't have long tentacles! My 12 arms look nothing like the stereotype being shown!

Btw I am only slightly evil!!

Too the op I am from south Saturn

All aliens from South Saturn probe cows. Ewww, cow prober! What exactly are you learning in there?
  • bradyc79
    1379 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    jukan00 wrote:
    Originally from Michigan and man, TSTO has definitely dogged on us a few times. Even though there is a myriad of complex reasons as to why Michigan is where it is because of forces outside of it's control- I'm still gonna laugh at the jokes.

Yeah, I can relate to that. I am sure that Kumiko quest line was not so funny for you. But who hasn't poked fun at Flint MI for being a dying city?

I am from WV, and I could consider all of the Cletus and Brandine quest lines offensive if I chose to do so. But instead I thought they were hilarious. There are some beautiful areas in the Appalachians, but there is also moonshine, meth, clans, and welfare abuse. It's just a part of the way of life. I know several people like them, and with my family having lived in WV for 5 generations, there were plenty of my older relatives who lived that way as well. Most of us have grown out of that way of life, and they've legalized moonshine, so things have changed quite a bit. But there's not a lot of humor in that, way more boring, and not nearly as interesting.

There are some truths to all stereotypes, and the Simpsons makes fun of all of them. They are rather sarcastic and sometimes completely obscense, which extends into the game as well. That juxtaposition of reality is what has always made the Simpsons funny and entertaining. I mean, it takes us 24 hours to build most buildings, but 45 seconds to clean up nuclear waste?
  • bradyc79
    1379 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    jukan00 wrote:
    88young_r wrote:
    jukan00 wrote:
    Originally from Michigan

And if we are going to use some of these jokes, I have to warn you on the sucks joke. It can always be flipped around pretty easily. For example, the joke in WV goes: Why does the New River flow north? Well, some people may tell you it's because WV sucks. But the real reason is because Virginia blows.

But while speaking about Ohio, there is another joke that goes something like: What is the difference between an jack * and a ****? The Ohio River.
  • gbp4ever96
    24 posts
    edited June 2014
    The South went to war to preserve their unpaid work force and worked really hard to keep segregation 100 years later. Making fun helps us remember the errors of our past. But time eventually wipes all slates. Could probably wipe them faster if people in the south would stop waving the flag of a nation which lasted only 4 years and was defeated almost 150 years ago.
  • DamnedDonuts
    231 posts
    edited June 2014
    OP, really? You are just trolling right?

Are you new to the Simpsons, or comedy? Pretty much every character type in this game is a caricature of that group.

I was born and raised in the south and I see the teabagger bigots to the left of me and the right of me. Seen it all my life and am truly embarrassed by them and yet I fully see them for the jokes they are. Pathetic and sad jokes at that.

Either lighten up, boycott the game or stop trolling. Whatever best applies.

Have a nice day. 8)

• jukan00
    2320 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    bradyc79 wrote:
    jukan00 wrote:
    Originally from Michigan and man, TSTO has definitely dogged on us a few times. Even though there is a myriad of complex reasons as to why Michigan is where it is because of forces outside of it's control- I'm still gonna laugh at the jokes.

Yeah, I can relate to that. I am sure that Kumiko quest line was not so funny for you. But who hasn't poked fun at Flint MI for being a dying city?

I am from WV, and I could consider all of the Cletus and Brandine quest lines offensive if I chose to do so. But instead I thought they were hilarious. There are some beautiful areas in the Appalachians, but there is also moonshine, meth, clans, and welfare abuse. It's just a part of the way of life. I know several people like them, and with my family having lived in WV for 5 generations, there were plenty of my older relatives who lived that way as well. Most of us have grown out of that way of life, and they've legalized moonshine, so things have changed quite a bit. But there's not a lot of humor in that, way more boring, and not nearly as interesting.

There are some truths to all stereotypes, and the Simpsons makes fun of all of them. They are rather sarcastic and sometimes completely obscense, which extends into the game as well. That juxtaposition of reality is what has always made the Simpsons funny and entertaining. I mean, it takes us 24 hours to build most buildings, but 45 seconds to clean up nuclear waste?

I gotta say, was taking a friend out to D.C. one year and we drove through WV and it was simply beautiful. One of the prettiest states I've seen. NOW- and hand to God I'm not making this up. When we stopped to get gas, in the time it took to fill our tank we saw one guy drive up to the pump and slam THREE beers while filling up his pick up (tossed all three cans into the bed of the truck) and overheard 2 other guys going on about how much paint another friend could huff at one time. Dude.
  • jukan00
    2320 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    88young_r wrote:
    jukan00 wrote:
    88young_r wrote:
    jukan00 wrote:
    Originally from Michigan

Well, Cedar Point and that team that makes y'all cry every year. I can't wait for that state up north to sink to bottom of the great lakes...too bad crap floats ;)

Huh. Ok. Ok. Welp, according to this thing called "wikipedia" in the 110 times Michigan and Ohio State have met, Michigan has won 13 more times. Huh. Interesting.
  • brandonl1226
    5831 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    jukan00 wrote:
    88young_r wrote:
    jukan00 wrote:
    88young_r wrote:
    jukan00 wrote:
    Originally from Michigan

Huh. Ok. Ok. Welp, according to this thing called "wikipedia" in the 110 times Michigan and Ohio State have met, Michigan has won 13 more times. Huh. Interesting.

I'm not American but I dated a girl from Michigan and she was horrible, so I'm supporting Ohio.
  • moonshine860
    207 posts
    edited June 2014
    gbp4ever96 wrote:
    The South went to war to preserve their unpaid work force and worked really hard to keep segregation 100 years later. Making fun helps us remember the errors of our past. But time eventually wipes all slates. Could probably wipe them faster if people in the south would stop waving the flag of a nation which lasted only 4 years and was defeated almost 150 years ago.
    That's not just people in the south sadly. I'm up in PA and there is a guy down the street from me who proudly displays his giant rebel flag on his porch.
  • jukan00
    2320 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    jukan00 wrote:
    88young_r wrote:
    jukan00 wrote:
    88young_r wrote:
    jukan00 wrote:
    Originally from Michigan

I'm not American but I dated a girl from Michigan and she was horrible, so I'm supporting Ohio.

Oh really? Don't even get me started on what The Simpson's has to say about Australia! :D
  • brandonl1226
    5831 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    jukan00 wrote:
    jukan00 wrote:
    88young_r wrote:
    jukan00 wrote:
    88young_r wrote:
    jukan00 wrote:
    Originally from Michigan

Oh really? Don't even get me started on what The Simpson's has to say about Australia! :D

Haha. From now on, my support will be silent :lol:
  • NOVA_POLARI
    1010 posts
    edited June 2014
    deathpo wrote:
    I have always known that the Simpsons creators were extremely liberal in their views but this issue is squarely on EA and all those associated with this game for allowing bigoted statements to make it to their game.
    Starting Krusty the Hair Colorist Pt. 1 with the ending line “Huh. I never knew bigotry was this emotionally satisfying. I think I finally get the South.”

So from what I understand everyone that is living in or is from the southern half of the US is automatically a bigot; people like myself, or my wife, or my one year old daughter… according to EA and TSTO we are all bigots. I would argue that EA (TSTO) and those that wrote and Ok’d such a statement are the ignorant bigots, to refer to millions of people as the very same thing.

I get that in the eyes of media that it is ok to bash anyone from Southern America, I just wonder when it will be ok to label all muslims as terrorists?, all Jewish people as cheap?, or all French people as cowards with an odor problem?

I know most people will not care and I do not expect EA to do anything other than at best make a boiler plate statement, and this topic will either be troll/flamed or locked and deleted (or both) but I will not be a part of any media that think ok to call millions of people bigots for simply being, no money, no EA games, no simpsons, none of it. IF EA and Simpsons and those associated with The Simpsons Tapped Out want to call me and my family bigots, then you can do it without my support and patronage.

If you have ever seen ANY episode of The Simpsons you would understand they dont mean anything they say its just funny. Also none of these shows will EVER apologise for anything they say and the fact that you want them to is taking away our freedom of speech. So ya its not just people from the south The Simpsons makes fun of everyone and when they do make fun of me in some way I always just laugh because its just a joke.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.