EA Forums - Banner

Gil's back to school deal

Yes, it's been discussed on the forum the last couple of days :) It's obviously only available to people who don't already have Otto. People who do have Otto don't see it.

Replies

• furrykiltman
    661 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    Got a notification about it, nothing shows in my game.
  • ottobusdude
    107 posts
    edited August 2014
    Sweet! Otto was going to be my 1st premium character and I was only half way saved up. Nice one Gil, at last a deal I can afford :P
  • peacefrog7860
    60 posts
    edited August 2014
    I got it! I'm glad I had enough freemium donuts saved up! Now I need to start hoarding again so I can make my entertainment area. :)
  • peppers2ndmo
    247 posts
    edited August 2014
    EA needs to hire someone that knows what they're doing in their marketing department. It's absolutely stupid to have a promotion like the current Gil offering.

It's great for people who don't have Otto...it's a pretty sweet deal as it's basically half-off. But to offer NOTHING to those who already have Otto is insane. Did the EA folks think we wouldn't talk to each other?

Here's what they could have done...it would have been simple and it would have generated more revenue for EA's coffers. The Gil deal is great as it stands, but they should have also offered a special, one-time item (with a special price) to those who already have Otto. This approach would have generated additional income AND rewarded the players (most of whom are premium players) who already have Otto, thus increasing player satisfaction.

At the end of the day, it's the premium players who pay the bills at EA, so it would behoove EA to think a little longer about how to keep this segment of the player population happy. Just my two cents...
  • NOVA_POLARI
    1010 posts
    edited August 2014
    EA needs to hire someone that knows what they're doing in their marketing department. It's absolutely stupid to have a promotion like the current Gil offering.

It's great for people who don't have Otto...it's a pretty sweet deal as it's basically half-off. But to offer NOTHING to those who already have Otto is insane. Did the EA folks think we wouldn't talk to each other?

Here's what they could have done...it would have been simple and it would have generated more revenue for EA's coffers. The Gil deal is great as it stands, but they should have also offered a special, one-time item (with a special price) to those who already have Otto. This approach would have generated additional income AND rewarded the players (most of whom are premium players) who already have Otto, thus increasing player satisfaction.

At the end of the day, it's the premium players who pay the bills at EA, so it would behoove EA to think a little longer about how to keep this segment of the player population happy. Just my two cents...

This is very true the deal could of been the stuff we have now plus the item for 90 doughnuts and if you have Otto then you can get the item for 20 doughnuts.
  • hughejars
    587 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    I was saving towards Frinks lab, but I'll take Otto, thanks Gil. :D
  • battlefieldID194
    154 posts
    edited August 2014
    I bought Otto 2 weeks ago. I have been playing since August 2012. I have excellent timing.
  • roshigoth1
    1601 posts Member
    edited August 2014

Do you get upset when a physical store has a sale on something you already have? You're not going to benefit from every single sale. I think EA is trying to get more non-premium players to pull that trigger and become premium. There's nothing wrong with that strategy. Not every deal has to "reward" premium players - they do that sometimes, and sometimes they do this.

They'll release more content soon enough, including some new premium stuff, I'm sure. Be patient.
  • richardaca969
    1058 posts
    edited August 2014
    I just got a notification telling me about the sale.

I already have Otto.

Weird.
  • JimJ321
    4206 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    I just got a notification telling me about the sale.

I already have Otto.

Weird.

LOL!
  • theccrose820
    31 posts
    edited August 2014
    I am wondering if there is an update coming shortly that needs otto, that is why there is a sale for him???
  • teo47
    944 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    I am wondering if there is an update coming shortly that needs otto, that is why there is a sale for him???

My thought is that Otto was chosen for the sole reason that he is probably the most appropriate premium item in the game to fit the 'back to school' theme that is appropriate for this time of year. Based on how the game is set up, I do not believe that EA will ever come to a point at which it requires the purchase of a premium item or character in order to progress through the game.
    New neighbors always welcome!
  • HappyGamer73
    2403 posts Member
    edited August 2014

I do see your point, however...

EA is likely also looking at the fact that there are always new players starting. If they can get newer players steered towards premium rather than freemium, there's a much larger profit to be had than just in keeping the long time players happy since they've already got quite a bit of their money.

It's a hard balancing act trying to keep everyone interested, old and new. For now, I think they saw an opportunity to put a themed sale on that would be appropriate for the time of year and require minimal effort from them. Hopefully that means they've got something bigger in the works...
  • FeeJay1111
    235 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    I liked this deal as I didn't have Otto. I would have been less than pleased if I'd already bought him. EA should have found something to offer to those who have already bought Otto.
  • Jetsonsclo700
    62 posts
    edited August 2014
    Ive been playing awhile; and have aquired many premium items. I do not have everything; and dont expect to.
    Im disappointed in myself for having spent the money i have on a stupid little
    game that i play on my cellphonetelephone. With that being said....i picked up the
    otto deal; but if you ever find the popcicle stick crap in my springfield....
    find me and end my misery.
  • mykl376866
    20 posts
    edited August 2014
    Popsicle building isn't premium, though. You just have to save up in game cash! I just recently bought the Sit n Rotate, should be ready today, so I now have all the aspirationals again. If you paid real $ for a dozen whales, well that's a little different...
  • 4junk3000
    5629 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    It seems i got my last donut a day late. I really wanted Otto.

Bummer, dude!
    "You're the most negative person I've ever seen on here. Constantly."
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.