EA Forums - Banner

Let's pull the plug on this thing ! Trick or treat ?

Prev1
game wont shut down. they just stop updating this game

Replies

• suetopia
    4229 posts Member
    edited October 2014
    This situation happened with another game I played (not an EA game), and we were given a months notice that the game would no longer be available. We can no longer access our towns, and the plot line was not even half way through being done. A lot of people got really angry about it, and the company never really gave any reason or indication on any of its social media sites, or even its own website, as to why.

I'd like to think EA is a large enough company, and much more reputable than the other game I have referred to, that they would at least have the smarts to warn players well in advance and provide a reason if this were to happen.

As for the money part - that's the risk you take with games that have in app purchases. They may not be around forever, and you will not see your money again. I learned to come to terms with that after the other game suddenly stopped. If you spend money on the game, do it for enjoyment. Don't look at it as an investment. As this is a server based game, I imagine if EA does pull the plug we will not be able to access our Springfields, but I'm just guessing there. I could be wrong about that.

For the time being, though, I wouldn't worry about it because the game is still relatively popular and EA has given no indication, at least not to my knowledge, that they are even thinking of dropping the game.
  • vetteeater
    721 posts Member
    edited October 2014
    Console games generally discontinue any online functionality so my guess is you will be left with your town which you would need to download onto your device because the servers won't be syncing it anymore. And the app would be gone from the App Store so your game will be stuck to the last device you play on. That's a best case scenario lol
  • roshigoth1
    1601 posts Member
    edited October 2014
    I'm betting it simply won't work anymore. Kinda like what happens when a MMO goes belly-up.
  • doh1886
    916 posts Member
    edited October 2014
    You're going to die one day anyway. Just be thankful that it killed so much time that you may have spent bored. Just enjoy the ride.
  • richardaca969
    1058 posts
    edited October 2014
    The game still makes money, when it doesn't it'll end. But that's not gonna be any time soon.
  • SUM1HATED
    242 posts
    edited October 2014
    I'd like to think EA would just make it a 100% free game, but obviously no longer support it with updates and servers, they could just add all the content in the game and make ways to earn the donuts in game.

What would they care they would be no longer supporting it and they've had their money from it.
  • roshigoth1
    1601 posts Member
    edited October 2014
    SUM1HATED wrote:
    I'd like to think EA would just make it a 100% free game, but obviously no longer support it with updates and servers, they could just add all the content in the game and make ways to earn the donuts in game.

What would they care they would be no longer supporting it and they've had their money from it.

It's a lot less effort on their part to simply discontinue it.
  • Nitemare-rexx
    541 posts
    edited October 2014
    hopefully when they shut it down they would just make it offline, thats the problem with server-sided games, same with dead trigger 2 what when i want to play 10 years later?
  • SUM1HATED
    242 posts
    edited October 2014
    roshigoth1 wrote:
    SUM1HATED wrote:

But that would be the stupid thing to do, if you are a business would you really want to annoy your paying customers that could be future paying customers, if you treat them badly then they may not support your company anymore.

But knowing EA that's probably exactly what they will do as they don't care about their consumers.
  • organik_mystery
    33 posts
    edited October 2014
    SUM1HATED wrote:
    roshigoth1 wrote:
    SUM1HATED wrote:

But that would be the stupid thing to do, if you are a business would you really want to annoy your paying customers that could be future paying customers, if you treat them badly then they may not support your company anymore.

But knowing EA that's probably exactly what they will do as they don't care about their consumers.
    The casual gamers won't care.
  • SUM1HATED
    242 posts
    edited October 2014
    SUM1HATED wrote:
    roshigoth1 wrote:
    SUM1HATED wrote:

The casual gamers won't care.

Yeah probably because they haven't pay'd money, but people who spend hundreds or even thousands are the real people you want supporting you.
  • Nine9Nines
    930 posts New member
    edited October 2014
    jemm09285 wrote:
    game wont shut down. they just stop updating this game

When it stops being profitable, they'll stop paying devs to add content and offer support. But they will likely keep the servers up for some time after that.

However, at some point the game will cease to be profitable enough to even keep the servers up, and it will be taken down altogether. At that point, all the time and money (for those that have spent money, not me) we've spent will be nothing but memories.
  • Nine9Nines
    930 posts New member
    edited October 2014
    roshigoth1 wrote:
    SUM1HATED wrote:

Yeah, it's never going to become an entirely free game. There's just no way that will happen. They'll squeeze every last cent out of it and then they'll cut it off. How long that takes is entirely up to the customers. As long as we're still paying, they'll let us keep playing.

There's no incentive for them to keep spending money to keep the servers up if there's no potential for customers to buy IAPs within the game. That's why it will never be a completely free game.
  • ZennGlenn
    1767 posts Member
    edited October 2014
    Enough of all this negativity.....
    images-12_zps26ad7248.jpeg
    TSTO Forever :!: 8)
  • jraffa50
    559 posts
    edited October 2014
    Could the game get shut down eventually? Yes. Is it going to happen soon? No. So I wouldn't spend time worrying about it now.
  • SUM1HATED
    242 posts
    edited October 2014
    Nine9Nines wrote:
    roshigoth1 wrote:
    SUM1HATED wrote:

Yeah, it's never going to become an entirely free game. There's just no way that will happen. They'll squeeze every last cent out of it and then they'll cut it off. How long that takes is entirely up to the customers. As long as we're still paying, they'll let us keep playing.

There's no incentive for them to keep spending money to keep the servers up if there's no potential for customers to buy IAPs within the game. That's why it will never be a completely free game.

They don't need to keep servers up if they make it a free offline game, obviously you won't have a friends list so would have to be able to earn everything you need in game. Or they can just sell the game and all the content will be unlockable single player offline.
  • Nine9Nines
    930 posts New member
    edited October 2014
    SUM1HATED wrote:
    Nine9Nines wrote:
    roshigoth1 wrote:
    SUM1HATED wrote:

They don't need to keep servers up if they make it a free offline game, obviously you won't have a friends list so would have to be able to earn everything you need in game. Or they can just sell the game and all the content will be unlockable single player offline.

They would have to pay to make a lot of changes to the game to make it playable offline. Won't happen.

No other company is going to buy a game that is no longer profitable.
  • HWick_Bluenose
    882 posts
    edited October 2014
    No one worries about spending small amounts of cash down the pub or at the cinema and think that the money has been wasted. This is cheap entertainment. Point is it will be cancelled when enough of us stop playing and I'm sure most of us will move on before that happens. Which, of course, will be the cause of it being cancelled. So it will be our fault. :wink:
  • GamerPerfection
    208 posts
    edited October 2014
    Of course TSTO will shut down. It's inevitable. It's like asking the question will I die? Of course it will happen.

Whatever happens happens, deal with it. It would certainly free up a lot of time!
  • AJtheboss1
    3869 posts Member
    edited October 2014
    I think in a worst case scenario, they'll just add an offline mode so that people can still access their towns, without the need for a server connection.

To be honest, I hate the fact that we need to always be connected to the internet to play this game. I wish they had an offline mode right now, that would just sync up every time there's an internet connection. It reminds of the **** they did with sim city 5, though that didn't last very long thanks to an outspoken community. Something that a lot of people in this game tend to demonize... :roll:
    "The **** of the future will be the anti-****."
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.