EA Forums - Banner

The unfair AI is not fun to play against at all.

Replies

• SkynetUFC wrote: »
    Well hopefully all the changes that have gone into the patches so far make that difference for you, once they go live, and continue to improve the experience going forward.

@SkynetUFC Thanks for taking the time to listen. While I have your attention, maybe you could answer a question for me? Why does my pre-order Connor McGregor have worse stats than the fight now version? I paid $85 to fight with: 95 STRK, 86GRAPL, 88STAM, and 95HLTH Connor not a cheap "skin" with worse stats. If you're not sure, could you ask around? Thanks.

The reason for this is because in UT, the moves you apply to your fighter largely determine your stats. Having a fighter card that started that high would yield a 100 stat fighter in every area, which is unreasonable. So the Connor card from pre-order is good, but not so good as to be broken.
  • @SkynetUFC so it's Clear to me, that the A.I. on Ultimate Team have their fight now stats as I just faced McGregor and landed five head kicks while he was leaning into them and I didn't get so much as a wobble or stun. What chance do we players have against the A.I. when they can walk through haymakers and head kicks unfazed? I also landed a number of(supposedly tweaked Overhands) with only one actually garnering a reaction. All of my Haymaker strikes and head kicks were landed from full stamina and still no wobble, stun or KO. What gives?
  • KnocksYOUoutCold
    430 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    @SkynetUFC The head kicks in this installment are far too slow and are easily blocked. Counter strikes don't do nearly enough damage, they should result in a knockdown or KO far more often.
  • @SkynetUFC I've also noticed that the A.I. can recover far quicker from missing a big strike than the player can, this makes it harder to land counters when the A.I. can pull block the second they miss a big shot.
  • @SkynetUFC As Jones with 100 power I landed two counter head kicks off of defending a takedown from Mark Hunt and not even a wobble. How is this OK? The A.I. can eat an unrealistic amount of damage, even from counters that are SUPPOSED to do massive damage. I'm done with Ultimate Team until the patches are released, this is just insane.
  • @SkynetUFC Understandable, but players pre-ordered the game thinking the champions they paid for would have their fight now stats. I'm not asking for a fighter with maxed out stats (maybe limit the move slots champion fighters have so 100 in all categories is not possible?) Just the fight now stats myself and others paid and extra $25 for. I think this is fair considering those are the stats players thought they were getting.
    SkynetUFC wrote: »
    Well hopefully all the changes that have gone into the patches so far make that difference for you, once they go live, and continue to improve the experience going forward.

@SkynetUFC Thanks for taking the time to listen. While I have your attention, maybe you could answer a question for me? Why does my pre-order Connor McGregor have worse stats than the fight now version? I paid $85 to fight with: 95 STRK, 86GRAPL, 88STAM, and 95HLTH Connor not a cheap "skin" with worse stats. If you're not sure, could you ask around? Thanks.

The reason for this is because in UT, the moves you apply to your fighter largely determine your stats. Having a fighter card that started that high would yield a 100 stat fighter in every area, which is unreasonable. So the Connor card from pre-order is good, but not so good as to be broken.

@SkynetUFC Understandable, but players pre-ordered the game thinking the champions they paid for would have their fight now stats. I'm not asking for a fighter with maxed out stats (maybe limit the move slots champion fighters have so 100 in all categories is not possible?) Just the fight now stats myself and others paid an extra $25 for. This is only fair considering those are the stats players thought they were getting. We were misled.
  • Just had a match where as Jones with 100 striking I rocked my opponent FIVE times in a matter of a minute(7-8 times overall) and they recovered almost instantly. They then proceeded to eat multiple clean haymakers to the jaw and then land one shot for the KO. Now I am truly done with Ultimate Team until the next patches go live. I have never wanted to throw my controller so badly (Even UFC 2's Ultimate Team wasn't this bad) then I do when playing this game mode on UFC 3. Even the A.I. in Career Mode can't take this much damage and still come back to land the KO. Changes must be made.
  • KnocksYOUoutCold
    430 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    @SkynetUFC Hopefully we've given you
    enough issues concerning the A.I., and ways to fix them. If not myself and I'm sure many others will be more than happy to provide further ideas.
  • KnocksYOUoutCold
    430 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    @SkynetUFC The A.I. body shot spam is insane, I've heard it said that this was an error that will be addressed but I just wanted to further nail that point home. Also note that the A.I. are far too aggressive and attack almost constantly
    I took a break from the game for about a week but last night I decide to jump into fight now mode and good god. Here was the [profanity removed] still annoying me
    -I rocked him counting 8 times in the fight and each time i was able to land at least 1 or 2 big strikes (when I could get through his iron bars he has for arms) and can never finish.
    -I'm never in one of those stupid "angles" the developers say you need to be in in order to pounce.
    -Every time he recovers he seems to get a stamina boost.
    -I land 90% of my strikes and his are either blocked or whiffed yet my stamina is half of his. You would think if we're throwing the same amount of strikes and his are missing he should not have way more stamina then me.
    -I'm whipping his **** most of the fight, he rocks me with a kick then knocks me out with a cross.
    Played a rematch and had very similar results

You're quite right, and the fact is that the AI has no advantages here. The game doesn't even know it's an AI playing. The AI sits on top of the game logic, and just feeds it inputs like a user does.

So, that just tells me that what you think is happening, is likely not what's happening. If the AI throws and wiffs a bunch of strikes, then it is definitely going to lose stamina. However, if I had to guess, I would say you're likely throwing more strikes than the AI is while not at full stam, and the AI is perhaps landing more shots to the body than you are. That, or you're throwing larger strikes that are missing. Really, it boils down to the fact that the AI has no advantages here, it's all the way they fight. If you're losing more stamina than them, it's because you're spending more than they are, one way or another.

At his point in the code, is it possible to add stamina modes:

non simulation mode (stamina not so much a factor)
    simulation mode (stamina very realistic)

Again I'm reticent to bring up THQ's Undisputed 3 here but, at they seemed to have a strategy that involved multiple stamina (or energy modes) that pacified both fan bases, (the single player community) and those from the competitive online-multiplayer community. For UFC 3 and future UFC games (if there are going to be any...) there has to be a strategy for the AI programming that will appease the multitude of single player. So two aspects of the AI

AI difficulty settings (which the game already has)
    Stamina modes (which the game does not have)

Just like the AI layer runs on top of the game logic, perhaps a stamina layer on top of game logic can address some of this.

It is a catch 22 with this realism stuff. If you don't make realistic enough the fans complain, if you make it to realistic the fans complain. So one approach is for single player modes, to put realism choice in the hands of the gamer. I think in Madden EA has got that somewhat figured out, in single player modes the simulation realism can be modified by the user. There are the difficulty settings like pro, madden, all madden, etc, and then there is the ability to control injury percentages, accuracy of passes, catches etc.
    This amount of user control keeps the single player experience at the level that makes the Madden games so successful. For UFC 3 to enjoy this level of success they will have develop strategies for AI programming and Stamina management that will keep the single player base happy.
    I took a break from the game for about a week but last night I decide to jump into fight now mode and good god. Here was the [profanity removed] still annoying me
    -I rocked him counting 8 times in the fight and each time i was able to land at least 1 or 2 big strikes (when I could get through his iron bars he has for arms) and can never finish.
    -I'm never in one of those stupid "angles" the developers say you need to be in in order to pounce.
    -Every time he recovers he seems to get a stamina boost.
    -I land 90% of my strikes and his are either blocked or whiffed yet my stamina is half of his. You would think if we're throwing the same amount of strikes and his are missing he should not have way more stamina then me.
    -I'm whipping his **** most of the fight, he rocks me with a kick then knocks me out with a cross.
    Played a rematch and had very similar results

You're quite right, and the fact is that the AI has no advantages here. The game doesn't even know it's an AI playing. The AI sits on top of the game logic, and just feeds it inputs like a user does.

So, that just tells me that what you think is happening, is likely not what's happening. If the AI throws and wiffs a bunch of strikes, then it is definitely going to lose stamina. However, if I had to guess, I would say you're likely throwing more strikes than the AI is while not at full stam, and the AI is perhaps landing more shots to the body than you are. That, or you're throwing larger strikes that are missing. Really, it boils down to the fact that the AI has no advantages here, it's all the way they fight. If you're losing more stamina than them, it's because you're spending more than they are, one way or another.

At his point in the code, is it possible to add stamina modes:

non simulation mode (stamina not so much a factor)
    simulation mode (stamina very realistic)

Again I'm reticent to bring up THQ's Undisputed 3 here but, at they seemed to have a strategy that involved multiple stamina (or energy modes) that pacified both fan bases, (the single player community) and those from the competitive online-multiplayer community. For UFC 3 and future UFC games (if there are going to be any...) there has to be a strategy for the AI programming that will appease the multitude of single player. So two aspects of the AI

AI difficulty settings (which the game already has)
    Stamina modes (which the game does not have)

Just like the AI layer runs on top of the game logic, perhaps a stamina layer on top of game logic can address some of this.

It is a catch 22 with this realism stuff. If you don't make realistic enough the fans complain, if you make it to realistic the fans complain. So one approach is for single player modes, to put realism choice in the hands of the gamer. I think in Madden EA has got that somewhat figured out, in single player modes the simulation realism can be modified by the user. There are the difficulty settings like pro, madden, all madden, etc, and then there is the ability to control injury percentages, accuracy of passes, catches etc.
    This amount of user control keeps the single player experience at the level that makes the Madden games so successful. For UFC 3 to enjoy this level of success they will have develop strategies for AI programming and Stamina management that will keep the single player base happy.

Many of the single players modes support gameplay sliders which let you customize your experience, including stamina. You can alter the stamina costs and regen considerably. While these sliders are not available everywhere, we're hoping to add them to more modes in the future.
  • I thought I was the only one experiencing this. I'm sitting here rocking the AI all throughout the first and second round, yet they still have full stamina and full head health when a new round starts. I get them to the ground, enter full mount, cave their face in, but ref doesn't want to stop the fight and now I'm on the guys back and stomach as he transitions relentlessly the rest of the round? Only body damage hurts stamina? Watch a MMA fight once, I mean it's ridiculous. I'm playing on career with the highest difficulty setting and it's terrible. I played this franchise since it faded with THQ. Fix the sloppy stamina system and quit blaming your players, people know how to play.
  • I've read through a bit of this thread, but not all of it.

What I haven't seen mentioned so far is the input lag. I've been playing on the PS4 slim. Played through a full career on Pro difficulty, and have been playing Fight now on Legendary. I've been playing mostly heavyweight matches.

I don't mind the difficulty, I don't mind having to work with the AI patterns and work around them. What I do mind is how difficult it is to actually counter and react, because button presses seem to lag quite drastically, even more so than UFC 2 (on the same PS4 slim). I've seen that there's an input queue system, which likely points to the input lag. Given that, I've found it to be the most frustrating game I've ever played because of this. Now that I've kind of gotten used to the cumbersome multi button system, I find it incredibly difficult to string together combos with the lag, and almost impossible to consistently react to the AI. There are many times I see a mid/low kick and pull both triggers, and still take the hit or miss a grab. Or I input a 3 button combo, and punch once, or I unwittingly unleash a 4 strike combo and take a hit. It's as if I'm supposed to be Neo and see the Matrix code to adequately react to the AI.

Yes, I could spend hours getting even more used to the input lag, learn how to make every single button press intentional and millisecond perfect, but if the game doesn't feel good to play, why the hell would I? Even though the striking is more dynamic and technical, there's a distinct lack of flow missing that UFC 2 had. I just don't understand why the improvements in UFC 2 were completely revamped to be more cumbersome in 3.

I do appreciate the attention to detail in terms of positioning, strike timing, and countering against strikes with angles, but with the gooey feeling controls it feels unrewarding to keep playing toward those higher level strategies.
  • SkynetUFC
    257 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    I've read through a bit of this thread, but not all of it.

What I haven't seen mentioned so far is the input lag. I've been playing on the PS4 slim. Played through a full career on Pro difficulty, and have been playing Fight now on Legendary. I've been playing mostly heavyweight matches.

I don't mind the difficulty, I don't mind having to work with the AI patterns and work around them. What I do mind is how difficult it is to actually counter and react, because button presses seem to lag quite drastically, even more so than UFC 2 (on the same PS4 slim). I've seen that there's an input queue system, which likely points to the input lag. Given that, I've found it to be the most frustrating game I've ever played because of this. Now that I've kind of gotten used to the cumbersome multi button system, I find it incredibly difficult to string together combos with the lag, and almost impossible to consistently react to the AI. There are many times I see a mid/low kick and pull both triggers, and still take the hit or miss a grab. Or I input a 3 button combo, and punch once, or I unwittingly unleash a 4 strike combo and take a hit. It's as if I'm supposed to be Neo and see the Matrix code to adequately react to the AI.

Yes, I could spend hours getting even more used to the input lag, learn how to make every single button press intentional and millisecond perfect, but if the game doesn't feel good to play, why the hell would I? Even though the striking is more dynamic and technical, there's a distinct lack of flow missing that UFC 2 had. I just don't understand why the improvements in UFC 2 were completely revamped to be more cumbersome in 3.

I do appreciate the attention to detail in terms of positioning, strike timing, and countering against strikes with angles, but with the gooey feeling controls it feels unrewarding to keep playing toward those higher level strategies.

Thanks for the feedback, messier. This is something we've seen from the community in a few places, and it's a really tricky one because no one in the office has that feeling. Tracking down the cause of this has proven difficult.

If I were to offer my best guess, it would be the back-end frame tuning that our tools show but users can't see. When an input doesn't come out right away, we can see why, and understand the reason to it. It's not just lag, it was an intentional delay of some sort. I think knowing the reason makes us not get the impression that it's lagging?

As to the input queue, it's actually helping reduce the feeling of lag, as the queued action will play on the earliest possible frame. It also allows for proper combos to be entered in quick succession and then start thinking of the next move you plan to make. You can also enter them one strike at a time and still get the same effect, but for some reason people often find that harder to do.

Hopefully we can figure this issue out and resolve it one way or another, because we certainly don't want the impression of laggy controls...
    Post edited by SkynetUFC on
  • @SkynetUFC

I'm not sure if I'm experiencing input delay due to the 30 fps on the PS4 Slim, or if there's an issue with controller connectivity, or even monitor refresh rate issues (I am playing on a 4k pc monitor). I do know that UFC 2 feels noticeably smoother on the control side, even though the combo system is much less robust than in UFC 3.

I understand the theory behind the new input system, but in practice it makes for stilted controls. And like you mentioned, people find it harder to play with than in previous UFC games.

When I've researched the input lag/delay I'm experiencing, some people have mentioned that it's less prevalent on the PS4 pro. Without owning a pro, I have no way of testing if there's a difference or not. Is UFC 3 60 fps on a Pro?

• SkynetUFC
    257 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    @SkynetUFC

I'm not sure if I'm experiencing input delay due to the 30 fps on the PS4 Slim, or if there's an issue with controller connectivity, or even monitor refresh rate issues (I am playing on a 4k pc monitor). I do know that UFC 2 feels noticeably smoother on the control side, even though the combo system is much less robust than in UFC 3.

I understand the theory behind the new input system, but in practice it makes for stilted controls. And like you mentioned, people find it harder to play with than in previous UFC games.

When I've researched the input lag/delay I'm experiencing, some people have mentioned that it's less prevalent on the PS4 pro. Without owning a pro, I have no way of testing if there's a difference or not. Is UFC 3 60 fps on a Pro?

The Pro and Xbox One X both allow for a rendering frame rate of 60 fps or a 4k resolution. Gameplay still runs at 30 fps, however; so there's no real advantage. The picture is smoother but inputs will be processed at the same speed. You just see more of the motion.
  • ZReynoso
    30 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    The responses from the EA people in this thread has justified my decision to sell the game.
    Very defensive and seem unable to accept that the game is crap.
    The defend everthing and tell us that certain things that make the game crap are meant to be the way they are, all players are ceap and exoect us on the forums to solve all the issues.

I actually see no hope for the game with the current people in charge.
    They are heading in the wrong direction with things such as pre set combos etc.
    Career modes terrible and just lazy also.

Im gutted that the game is sooooo poor.

I enjoyed ufc 2.
    If ud simply done a good career mode and improved the ground game and clintch games aswell as just tweating other bits of the game id have accepted that happily.
    Instead you didnt even bother to try and come up with any new ideas for the ground and clintch game which everyone knew was the weak point of your game.
    And the career mode is just a load of nothing.
    No stories or anything.

Lazy EA

They just copied Conor’s past two years of MMA.
  • ZReynoso
    30 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    (blank)