EA Forums - Banner

The biggest problem with ea ufc.

abc2056419704
137 posts Member
edited July 2018
Ok so in my opinion the biggest problem with ea ufc games are the fact that one shot cannot change the fight....you almost always have to rock them serveral times just to get a ko so if you are getting a little behind and have been rocked a few times its way to hard too come back you can land a big shot but itll just rock him then you have too try and break his guard but more then likely he will just back up and recover.you just hardly ever have to worry about getting koed or you hardly ever have the satisfaction of landing a one shot ko its very rare that it happens and it doesnt matter what fighter you pick you can pick anthony johnson and you still will hardly ever get a ko or come from behind ko without constantly rocking them until they hit that pre determined amount of stuns....same goes with submissions you never feel like you can lock onto a submission confidently its just far to easy to escape subs in these games.part of the reason we love mma is because of its unpredictability but this game just doesnt have it....just the other day i was nate diaz going against some guy using conor and i.made him waste all his stamina and went for an arm bar but for some reason on the 3rd stage its super easy for people to escape even tho they have no stamina!....it just doesn't feel like a real mma fight it just turns into a rockem sockem robot match.thqs ufc games was great with that you actually felt fear of being countered and i had so many awesome memories of coming back and ko'ing people with well timed counters even ea sports mma was better then ea ufc at this....and this is the team that made fight night!fight night was amazing with being able to get ko's so idk why they didn't do it with ea ufc.

Replies

• I've been screaming it since the beta and they simply don't care. They fear that if the game is too realistic it will scare away casual fighters who grew up playing Mortal Kombat.

That they don't just commit to simulating what a real fight looks like really is the issue. The power is way too low, the accuracy is way too high. Just tuning that correctly would improve the game tremendously.

The thresholds on the health events are all out of whack as well because the damage is out of whack. It's like Suduko, you make one decision arbitrary and it throws off the symmetry everywhere. Leg kicks are overpowered because the counter doesn't do enough. So they actually tune down leg kick damage and increase the caught kick counter cross damage (and until recently you couldn't even block it).
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I don't know what you too are talking about. It is absolutely possible to knock some one out with one punch/ kick. I've done it plenty and been knocked out also. All you have to do is catch your opponent with low stamina and the easiest way to do that is to make them miss with a head kick.

You're not getting what we're talking about. We're not saying that you can't finish a fight with one shot, we're saying that you can't win a fight with one shot. You even said yourself, you have to catch someone with low stamina. That's not how real fighting works. If you're watching TV and I sucker punch you you're going to sleep, I don't care how much stamina you have. Look at how many times Rumble has knocked dudes out in the first round? What about Connor? Was Aldo exhausted 14 seconds into that fight?

This fight is all about the wonky stamina game and it's irritatingly unrealistic. Even in the heavyweight division you're not going to get any first round KOs unless it's part of a combination.
  • I don't know what you too are talking about. It is absolutely possible to knock some one out with one punch/ kick. I've done it plenty and been knocked out also. All you have to do is catch your opponent with low stamina and the easiest way to do that is to make them miss with a head kick.

You're not getting what we're talking about. We're not saying that you can't finish a fight with one shot, we're saying that you can't win a fight with one shot. You even said yourself, you have to catch someone with low stamina. That's not how real fighting works. If you're watching TV and I sucker punch you you're going to sleep, I don't care how much stamina you have. Look at how many times Rumble has knocked dudes out in the first round? What about Connor? Was Aldo exhausted 14 seconds into that fight?

This fight is all about the wonky stamina game and it's irritatingly unrealistic. Even in the heavyweight division you're not going to get any first round KOs unless it's part of a combination.

I've had plenty of fights end In the first round If you time shots and combinations it's not hard to get a early knock out especially if you time say a overhand or head kick I think the game isn't perfect but it's not completely trash
  • The striking still needs a lot of work. The hit detection isn’t as accurate as it should be. There will be times when you hit an opponent and it doesn’t register, and many times in a KO replay I actually see I didn’t make contact. The knockout animations should have more rag doll; if you knock someone unconscious, they aren’t gonna step back three times and catch themselves as they fall. As many have requested, doctor stoppages should make a comeback; especially when you rock someone 8 times and they’re bloodied beyond recognition. Speaking of that, there shouldn’t be so many rocks/knockdowns every round or fight. It’s time for some simulation settings, honestly. The game hasn’t been much fun. The little things add up.
  • The game is definitely not perfect and I don't think it ever could be. Yes, I've seen the knockouts when the finishing punch or kick miss completely, but that's only visible on replay and I am OK with that. As far as doctor stoppages, I could not disagree with you more. I don't want to see my fighters lose fights because what looks like superficial fights cause unrealistic and ridiculous bleeding. That's the one thing I could definitely do without. Blood stoppages rarely happen in the real UFC, and those of you, who crave the emotional satisfaction from something so arbitrary, will have to find your fix elsewhere.

Nah, people just want the game to be as realistic as it can be. Doctor stoppages are actually a thing in MMA. No one is asking for unrealistic cuts and immense gore. Majority of people want an MMA simulation, not a sloppy knock off of Mortal Kombat. Speaking of stamina, that's pretty broken too. No fighter throws a 100 punches a round and ignores gassing, or gets rocked 5 times and can stand straight. It's a joke. They need an arcade setting for players like you, and simulation settings for players like me. I actually want an MMA simulation and not some arcade fighting game with good graphics.
  • Or they could just add an option to turn on/off doctor stoppages.

I've had plenty of fights end In the first round If you time shots and combinations it's not hard to get a early knock out especially if you time say a overhand or head kick I think the game isn't perfect but it's not completely trash

You are trying so hard to strawman our criticism. No one is arguing that you can't knock opponents out in the first round, we're complaining about the how! It's not realistic. The fundamentals are mostly there, but it's tuned comically, and it's the force behind certain strikes are completely unbalanced as a result of attempting to deviate from simulation physics while trying to get a result that looks sim.

Watch ANY fight. Not just in the UFC, but go on worldstar. Fighters who throw a ton of strikes in succession tire out fast! Individual shots that land perfectly do more significant damage. But everyone is also a lot less accurate then on this game.

Pick a striker you like, fight with him 10 fights, and track the stats. Then compare that to his 10 last fights in the UFC. The numbers will be so different it will blow your mind.
  • ZReynoso wrote: »
    The striking still needs a lot of work. The hit detection isn’t as accurate as it should be. There will be times when you hit an opponent and it doesn’t register, and many times in a KO replay I actually see I didn’t make contact. The knockout animations should have more rag doll; if you knock someone unconscious, they aren’t gonna step back three times and catch themselves as they fall. As many have requested, doctor stoppages should make a comeback; especially when you rock someone 8 times and they’re bloodied beyond recognition. Speaking of that, there shouldn’t be so many rocks/knockdowns every round or fight. It’s time for some simulation settings, honestly. The game hasn’t been much fun. The little things add up.

I don't condemn the things that I don't think I could do better as a dev. The knock down sequences are wonky, but they need the fighters to fall into certain positions or you lose your ability to jump on them after they hit the ground. This is the type of thing that should improve every iteration of the game as they have more time to record smooth out animations.

Same thing with the grappling. I really hope UFC 4 doesn't try to reinvent the wheel and instead just chops up the current animations and adds a whole lot more branching animations. That way there aren't these extended gaps in time where you have no control of your fighter and have to watch some long drawn out animation play. Securing a single leg isn't just about timing, it's about deciding which direction to turn it as well.

The clinch on the other hand needs a COMPLETE overhaul. Crazy that UFC 3 Undisputed still has such a superior clinch.
  • [Deleted User]
    0 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • KingstonHawke
    123 posts Member
    edited August 2018

Watch ANY fight. Not just in the UFC, but go on worldstar. Fighters who throw a ton of strikes in succession tire out fast! Individual shots that land perfectly do more significant damage. But everyone is also a lot less accurate then on this game.

Pick a striker you like, fight with him 10 fights, and track the stats. Then compare that to his 10 last fights in the UFC. The numbers will be so different it will blow your mind.

9 times out of ten, individual shots knock people out when you beat them to the punch (and let's not count heavy weight for obvious reasons). When someone is circling around, trying to anticipate your next move, you will never land one clean, especially in the early stages, and the one time it does happen, the guy had really crappy reaction time. So, back to my original point, stamina IS everything, as it should be. One punch knockouts just like doctor stoppages are too subjective in a video game and this game is as good as it gets (when it comes to striking, at least) so, enjoy it...

Sorry, but you're wrong. The sciences that govern fighting (mostly physics) are very straight forward and not all that difficult to recreate. The only subjective part in the entire equation is when it comes to assigning ratings and attributes to fighters.

But you can come up with some really crude formulas and get very real results. All it takes is around 800 lbs of well-placed force to knock most people out. Why all fights don't end in KOs is because it's hard to land a well-placed shot. But that just means that for us who are able to do so, we ought to be rewarded in a realistic way.

Stamina almost plays no role in how your body handles concussive trauma. The role stamina plays is in vulnerability. A tired fighter will be less defensively inclined and present more opportunities for his opponent. In 5 round fights, there are a lot more 1st round KOs than 5th round KOs. And it's no surprise if you know the science. Force is mass X speed. As you slow down it's harder to generate enough force to meet that threshold.

The threshold for fighters in this game should be 600 at the very lowest, and 1200 at the highest. Convert lbs of force to hit points, give every single strike a baseline amount of hitpoints, and then everything from there is just adding modifiers for movement/stats/etc and taking into account where the strike landed.

Every strike that makes contact should cause bleed through from 0-100% governed by all the same formulas above. This is why a landed jab rarely ever knocks someone out, but a blocked head kick might. 50% of a 1800 lbs of force is higher than 100% of 500 lbs of force. It's really all very basic stuff. Spinning stuff exist for a reason. And the trade off is accuracy and telegraphing your shot. But when it lands, you get Barbosa making Kevin Lee dance or putting Terry Etim to sleep before he hits the ground.

There's a reason Connor knocks most fighters out with that left straight. It's because his shoulders are so wide and he's great at creating torque with them whilst keeping his accuracy. He knows he has an amazing chin so he'll trade and trust that while he can survive one of your shots you can't survive his. At featherweight where they are less massive no one can handle his power. It took a HUGE (possibly roided) Diaz at welterweight to survive Connor's power.

In this game that sub game exist, but just barely. The risk and reward aren't realistic.

that's ridiculous though. the only way I can one strike KO or hurt someone bad is if they miss a head kick and I'm in the right range to counter? that's ridiculous