EA Forums - Banner

Anyone actually use specialist/grappler?

It's not even a rant at EA I just don't get how you win with these guys..

They're so slow on the feet I just don't know how to play them. I know you could say they're for the ground anyway but christ they're boring

Replies

  • Specialist rousey is a tank on ground. All you have to do is spec into everything except TDD with her.
  • Specialist rousey is a tank on ground. All you have to do is spec into everything except TDD with her.

    But what are you doing on ground? Denials so you can sub or just trying to get to posture up?
  • Denials for subs. Let them reverse you to for example if your in dominant full guard jus go one direction without feints so they flip you , so you can then aim to go submissive full guard to get 2gate triangle
  • Denials for subs. Let them reverse you to for example if your in dominant full guard jus go one direction without feints so they flip you , so you can then aim to go submissive full guard to get 2gate triangle

    2gate? I only get 2 gate from doubleunder hooks in the clinch.
  • U have 5* armbar?
  • Ah, no just 5 star triangle.
  • I have 4* triangle 5* armbar
  • I have standard 3 star subs. Just go for a takedown/knockdown the deny transitions into a sub.
  • compromise wrote: »
    It's not even a rant at EA I just don't get how you win with these guys..

    They're so slow on the feet I just don't know how to play them. I know you could say they're for the ground anyway but christ they're boring

    I've said this many times before, but like everyone else, I started as a stand up fighter. Very quickly, I got sick of stand up because of all the pressure fighters, brawlers, and spammers. Those people took all the fun out of the game. I don't want my fights to end in less than two minutes of round 1. I don't care whether I win or lose fighting like that, so, I went to the ground. Sure, specialists in particular are horrible on their feet, but the goal is not to stand and bang, it's to take the fight down to the ground, so, I max out my footwork to dodge a big strike, then, it's go time.

    You may consider that style boring, but ground keeps everyone honest. There are three huge problems with the ground game: pre-preemptive denials that allow players to keep the fight standing regardless of their TDD being 60 and your TD being 100, which is TOTAL CRAP that doesn't exist in the real UFC. There is also GA and every stand up fighter's ability to max out their bottom game and sub D. In other words, EA development team has pretty much ruined the ground game and all I care to do is dailies.
  • I love my 4* champ Khabib, I was 40-1 or something with him before switching out to Tony, I'm probably gonna go back to using Khabib soon, just can't be bothered switching the moves around.
  • CAP1313 wrote: »
    compromise wrote: »
    It's not even a rant at EA I just don't get how you win with these guys..

    They're so slow on the feet I just don't know how to play them. I know you could say they're for the ground anyway but christ they're boring

    I've said this many times before, but like everyone else, I started as a stand up fighter. Very quickly, I got sick of stand up because of all the pressure fighters, brawlers, and spammers. Those people took all the fun out of the game. I don't want my fights to end in less than two minutes of round 1. I don't care whether I win or lose fighting like that, so, I went to the ground. Sure, specialists in particular are horrible on their feet, but the goal is not to stand and bang, it's to take the fight down to the ground, so, I max out my footwork to dodge a big strike, then, it's go time.

    You may consider that style boring, but ground keeps everyone honest. There are three huge problems with the ground game: pre-preemptive denials that allow players to keep the fight standing regardless of their TDD being 60 and your TD being 100, which is TOTAL CRAP that doesn't exist in the real UFC. There is also GA and every stand up fighter's ability to max out their bottom game and sub D. In other words, EA development team has pretty much ruined the ground game and all I care to do is dailies.

    I've said it a few times about the ground though.. Just like a grappler can outplay on their feet a striker should be able to outplay on the ground.

    I personally am terrible on the ground.. I just don't seem to have the reactions to deny and keep them from getting to a posture up. So if I'm a striker against someone who prefers ground I'm pretty much going to get dominated

    When it comes to people being good as a striker on the ground that needs to be in the game. Otherwise you'll get people practicing over and over to work out which ways to deny and then you'll have 80% of the community playing grapplers because who doesn't love an easy win?
  • compromise wrote: »
    CAP1313 wrote: »
    compromise wrote: »
    It's not even a rant at EA I just don't get how you win with these guys..

    They're so slow on the feet I just don't know how to play them. I know you could say they're for the ground anyway but christ they're boring

    I've said this many times before, but like everyone else, I started as a stand up fighter. Very quickly, I got sick of stand up because of all the pressure fighters, brawlers, and spammers. Those people took all the fun out of the game. I don't want my fights to end in less than two minutes of round 1. I don't care whether I win or lose fighting like that, so, I went to the ground. Sure, specialists in particular are horrible on their feet, but the goal is not to stand and bang, it's to take the fight down to the ground, so, I max out my footwork to dodge a big strike, then, it's go time.

    You may consider that style boring, but ground keeps everyone honest. There are three huge problems with the ground game: pre-preemptive denials that allow players to keep the fight standing regardless of their TDD being 60 and your TD being 100, which is TOTAL CRAP that doesn't exist in the real UFC. There is also GA and every stand up fighter's ability to max out their bottom game and sub D. In other words, EA development team has pretty much ruined the ground game and all I care to do is dailies.

    I've said it a few times about the ground though.. Just like a grappler can outplay on their feet a striker should be able to outplay on the ground.

    I personally am terrible on the ground.. I just don't seem to have the reactions to deny and keep them from getting to a posture up. So if I'm a striker against someone who prefers ground I'm pretty much going to get dominated

    When it comes to people being good as a striker on the ground that needs to be in the game. Otherwise you'll get people practicing over and over to work out which ways to deny and then you'll have 80% of the community playing grapplers because who doesn't love an easy win?

    I'm talking about realism. Realism. The way people fight stand up in this game, could never happen in UFC or any other fight promotion. You don't see any fighter throwing the same damn move over and over again. You don't see any fighter throw combo after combo after combo. There is only a handful of fighters, capable of truly pressuring their opponents (Khabib, Max, and Tony) and they mainly do it with forward movement. Even they pick their shots, they don't mindlessly throw because it's not possible to keep that up. That's why stand up in its current form is crap.

    The ground game puts everyone on equal footing. You see a guy move left, press left. He moves right, press right. He postures up, press up, ect. After a while, you learn to recognize submission attempts and block or better yet, reverse them. The problem is the unrealistic attributes, the game provides to strikers and brawlers. None of them are decent off their back or submission defense and it shouldn't come down to crappy ground players simply moving the stick in any one of the four directions to get themselves out of a submission or off the ground.
  • CAP1313 wrote: »
    compromise wrote: »
    CAP1313 wrote: »
    compromise wrote: »
    It's not even a rant at EA I just don't get how you win with these guys..

    They're so slow on the feet I just don't know how to play them. I know you could say they're for the ground anyway but christ they're boring

    I've said this many times before, but like everyone else, I started as a stand up fighter. Very quickly, I got sick of stand up because of all the pressure fighters, brawlers, and spammers. Those people took all the fun out of the game. I don't want my fights to end in less than two minutes of round 1. I don't care whether I win or lose fighting like that, so, I went to the ground. Sure, specialists in particular are horrible on their feet, but the goal is not to stand and bang, it's to take the fight down to the ground, so, I max out my footwork to dodge a big strike, then, it's go time.

    You may consider that style boring, but ground keeps everyone honest. There are three huge problems with the ground game: pre-preemptive denials that allow players to keep the fight standing regardless of their TDD being 60 and your TD being 100, which is TOTAL CRAP that doesn't exist in the real UFC. There is also GA and every stand up fighter's ability to max out their bottom game and sub D. In other words, EA development team has pretty much ruined the ground game and all I care to do is dailies.

    I've said it a few times about the ground though.. Just like a grappler can outplay on their feet a striker should be able to outplay on the ground.

    I personally am terrible on the ground.. I just don't seem to have the reactions to deny and keep them from getting to a posture up. So if I'm a striker against someone who prefers ground I'm pretty much going to get dominated

    When it comes to people being good as a striker on the ground that needs to be in the game. Otherwise you'll get people practicing over and over to work out which ways to deny and then you'll have 80% of the community playing grapplers because who doesn't love an easy win?

    I'm talking about realism. Realism. The way people fight stand up in this game, could never happen in UFC or any other fight promotion. You don't see any fighter throwing the same damn move over and over again. You don't see any fighter throw combo after combo after combo. There is only a handful of fighters, capable of truly pressuring their opponents (Khabib, Max, and Tony) and they mainly do it with forward movement. Even they pick their shots, they don't mindlessly throw because it's not possible to keep that up. That's why stand up in its current form is crap.

    The ground game puts everyone on equal footing. You see a guy move left, press left. He moves right, press right. He postures up, press up, ect. After a while, you learn to recognize submission attempts and block or better yet, reverse them. The problem is the unrealistic attributes, the game provides to strikers and brawlers. None of them are decent off their back or submission defense and it shouldn't come down to crappy ground players simply moving the stick in any one of the four directions to get themselves out of a submission or off the ground.

    I agree with you with what you're saying but I think even the ground game is unrealistic. I mean you've got a tiny tiny window as a striker with little takedown defense against a grappler where you can counter the takedown. Now I'm not saying it needs to go back to how it was because that was rediculous. You had way to long of a window to counter a takedown and even as a striker you could never be bought down.

    What they needed was a scramble to the ground in most cases. You watch a lot of strikers in real life and they have great takedown defense, they just suck on the ground.

    If a striker is rocked then yeah they should be easy to bring down but what there should have been is a bit of skill to get you down. It shouldn't be a case of if you miss the takedown defense then they can just put you down and that's it the games over.

    The only exception to this which I think is just awful is when you get pushed to the cage and lose all stamina
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!