EA Forums - Banner

UFC 4's Striking Animations Have Me Worried

KnocksYOUoutCold
430 posts Member
edited July 2020
I unfortunately didn't get to participate in the closed beta, but I have seen a lot of gameplay footage; and I can say with absolute certainty that the striking animations are for the most part EXACTLY the same as UFC 3 and this has me very worried. Don't get me wrong, the striking animations in UFC 3 are by no means terrible but they just aren't as realistic as they should be. Having recently gone back to UFC 2, I can honestly say that the striking animations in that game look far more impactful and are much more realistic with each type of strike/ grappling technique having a myriad of variations. Here are the gameplay elements from UFC 2 that UFC 4 should improve upon and implement:

Striking animations: Are an improvement over UFC 3's in my opinion, as strikes in UFC 2 land cleaner; with seemingly more impact as: fighter's Heads jerk to the side from a well placed Hook or they stumble back from a well placed Jab or Straight. Speaking of which:

Hooks:
These look and feel much better than UFC 3's and are much more realistic, as they have various animations and ranges to them; from wide or looping animations that sometimes almost look like an Uppercut(Ngannou vs Overreem) To short inside Hooks(Cormier vs Miocic) With Fighter signature Hooks having even more variety. With Hooks tied to the bumpers, and having such a limited range and variety in UFC 3; they don't flow at all in combinations and feel stiff and unnatural to throw.

Jabs: These are immediately more impactful in UFC 2, as fighters are sometimes stunned and often stumble back far more often from a well placed Jab when trying to step in for a strike.

Straights: Refere to Jabs above

Uppercuts: A massive improvement over UFC 3, as not only do they have range and different variations; they are NOT thrown by having to hold LB/RB or L1/R1 and pressing X+Y or ◾+🔺together but are instead thrown by moving the Left Joystick Left and pressing either X or Y and ◾or🔺depending on if you're trying to throw a Right or Left Uppercut. This feels much more comfortable and natural.

Overhands: Look more realistic and impactful in UFC 2, with the animation starting at the Hips for momentum; with the Arm moving upward and then at a downward angle and ending with the Arm jerking violently back upwards due to the impact of the strike. Not every fighter throws an Overhand strike like Chuck Liddell( Arm over the top of the head and going straight down) Most fighters throw the Overhand at a looping downward angle(This is the case in UFC 3) However the strike animation itself simply looks more realistic in UFC 2.

Head kicks: While I wasn't able to see a lot of Head Kick KO's during UFC 4 gameplay, I can say that these animations looked cleaner in UFC 2(no awkward space between the fighter's Foot/Shin and the opponent's Head/Neck when the strike connects like in UFC 3) but are lacking in power and impact. Also, my kick animations don't awkwardly stop halfway through the animation(which happens frequently in UFC 3 for no apparent reason.)

Side Notes: After watching Martial Mind play THQ's UFC Undisputed 3, there are a few takeaways that should be implemented in UFC 4:

1. Slip and Sway counters need a longer window so players can fully capitalize on their opponent's mistakes.(maybe add a quick on screen effect or slow motion effect to let players know a counter opportunity is available?)

2. Counters should be possible using both Hands(unlike UFC 3 which only allows counters off of the lead Hand) and should happen IMMEDIATELY(within the same frame) after a: blocked, ducked, sidestepped, back stepped, slipped, or swayed strike(both THQ's UFC Undisputed 3 and your own Fight Night series have this feature) These strikes should be more damaging as the opponent is left completely open; and have a higher chance of being a KO strike.

Overall after only two days back on UFC 2, I feel that the striking animations are simply superior to UFC 3's; and therefore should be used and improved upon in UFC
5. Combinations actually flow naturally in UFC 2, as strikes like the Hook aren't tied to either of the bumpers and it doesn't take pressing two buttons simultaneously in order to throw an Uppercut. With UFC 4 mere weeks away, I can say that the striking animations need serious tuning; as again: NO ONE wants to pay $60 or more for a re-skin of UFC 3 with the EXACT same striking animations. Each type of strike needs to have a multitude of variations, and fighters with signature strikes(Chuck Liddell's Overhand and Straight for instance) need to be emphasized with different animations that are uniquely tied to those particular fighters; as Chuck Liddell does not throw a Right Hook the same way as Conor McGregor.

Hopefully someone from EA reads this and can pass it along to the higher ups, as this is a very serious issue that MUST be addressed before the game's release.

Post edited by KnocksYOUoutCold on

Replies

• saintdavid21
    43 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    I second this as I’ve been saying for the past couple days. And I add that the position of the closed fist upon landing should also be varied. This is the case in 2. Regular and Heavy hooks land with the fist in the “thumbs up” or “palm facing” position known technically as the “neutral” position. Just like Wanderlei hooks in 3. Overhand and heavy overhand hooks land in the “palm down” or “prone” fist position 🤜. This is so important to add individual variation to CAFs and authenticity to current fighters. As this man said UFC 2 nailed this feature.
    Post edited by saintdavid21 on
  • KnocksYOUoutCold
    430 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    I second this as I’ve saying for the past couple days. And I add that the position of the closed fist upon landing should also be varied. This is the case in 2. Regular and Heavy hooks land with the fist in the “thumbs up” or “palm facing” position known technically as the “neutral” position. Just like Wanderlei hooks in 3. Overhand and heavy overhand hooks land in the “palm down” or “prone” fist position 🤜. This is so important to add individual variation to CAFs and authenticity to current fighters. As this man said UFC nailed this feature.

Thanks bud. I honestly have no idea why the devs decided to steer away from the striking controls of UFC 2, as the more I've been playing it; the more natural and fluid the striking controls and animations look and feel. We all know that the preset combos in UFC 3 were a huge mistake, with Hooks tied to the bumpers and Uppercuts tied to simultaneous button presses; the striking often feels clunky and stiff. This is not a mistake that the devs can afford to repeat in UFC 4, so the striking needs to be as fluid as possible; with: NO preset combos(everyone hates this EA) and counters off of: slips, sways, side steps, and back steps, ect need to be immediate(with a longer maybe slightly slowed down moment when a clean counter opens up.) And they NEED to look and FEEL brutal(more controller feedback when a well-timed counter lands) as most counters land on target during the best possible openings when the opponent least expects it. Hopefully EA has time to implement these changes before the official release. 🙏

Man I should really start charging a Consulting fee for all of the awesome free advice I've been giving out🤔😁
    Post edited by KnocksYOUoutCold on
  • Amen to that. I thought you were looking into getting hired 🤔
    You should get the job🤙
  • Amen to that. I thought you were looking into getting hired 🤔
    You should get the job🤙

I was, but unfortunately there are no Quality Assurance Rep positions available in my area and if that wasn't bad enough; the form I would need to fill out in order to become an official Game Changer has been taken down.🤔
  • I just read on the latest thread. Reach!! Let us chose our own reach for CAFs. And make it matter. Make it so that reach really affects distance and timing. Not everyone who is 5-10 has a 72 inch reach
    I’m a 75” at 5-10. 🤔
  • Ru saying ufc 2 striking is better then ufc 3?

Or just the animations?
  • doupee85 wrote: »
    Ru saying ufc 2 striking is better then ufc 3?

Or just the animations?

Both, the striking animations in UFC 2 land cleaner; with fighters reacting realistically when getting hit by: wincing in pain, or stumbling backwards from a well placed Jab, or jerking their Head Left or Right from a brutal Hook. Overall the striking animations in UFC 2 feel smoother and look more realistic.
  • doupee85
    142 posts Member
    But the outcome isn't realistic at all nothin did damage eat a head kick and it does nothin.Ufc 3 u could potentially land 1 headkick and get a ko.

I personally can only remember 3 striking animations that were good in ufc 2

The overhands especially the lead hand

And the rear leg kick

Maybe the regular hooks are nice 2 but i can't remember.

Ufc 2 controls are almost as weird as ufc 3 but ufc 3 has way more moves i think

I personally cant play ufc 2 ever again after playing 3

The striking was smoother in ufc 2 there was no wind up at all so no input delay

Ufc 4 seems to have less of a delay then 3 but its still there
  • KnocksYOUoutCold
    430 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    doupee85 wrote: »
    But the outcome isn't realistic at all nothin did damage eat a head kick and it does nothin.Ufc 3 u could potentially land 1 headkick and get a ko.

I personally can only remember 3 striking animations that were good in ufc 2

The overhands especially the lead hand

And the rear leg kick

Maybe the regular hooks are nice 2 but i can't remember.

Ufc 2 controls are almost as weird as ufc 3 but ufc 3 has way more moves i think

I personally cant play ufc 2 ever again after playing 3

The striking was smoother in ufc 2 there was no wind up at all so no input delay

Ufc 4 seems to have less of a delay then 3 but its still there

First: I think we can agree that both games have outcomes that look unrealistic, and second:

while I can agree that from the impact perspective some strikes do land with little reaction or power(the Head Kick for example) most of the punch animations seem to hit with more impact in UFC 2, causing the opponent to react more when getting hit.

As for UFC 4: From the gameplay trailer EA released today, the striking does look more fluid(with some animations still looking a little stiff and needing to be tweaked) but unfortunately most of the KO/Knockdown animations were re-used assets from UFC 3; which means that the KO/Knockdown animations still look posed and unrealistic.

I have high hopes though that EA can address these issues before the game is officially released.
  • doupee85
    142 posts Member
    I almost think the reaction from getting hit is too big especially from certain strikes.The reaction happens every time its like were getting a standing flash ko everytime we get hit.

In ufc u get hit and have a reaction similar to the game the next strike is most likely putting ur lights out?

I think the reaction from getting hit needs way more variety

The more i think about ea ufc the worse it gets im just gonna stop lol
  • doupee85 wrote: »
    I almost think the reaction from getting hit is too big especially from certain strikes.The reaction happens every time its like were getting a standing flash ko everytime we get hit.

In ufc u get hit and have a reaction similar to the game the next strike is most likely putting ur lights out?

I think the reaction from getting hit needs way more variety

The more i think about ea ufc the worse it gets im just gonna stop lol

I can certainly agree that the fighter reactions to getting hit definitely need to be varied based on the type of strike being landed, and Amen to that😂 if we continue like this we're going to be here all night discussing the various gameplay and technical issues of each game.

• Rockii8
    2 posts New member
    I would like to see better customizations to stances and strikes. Every question mark kick isn’t the same. Izzy striking shouldn’t look like d till. That’s like lebron shooting form being the same as kawhi Leonard on 2k. It takes away from the experience from me