EA Forums - Banner

UFC4 striking animations.

YoungNewport95
86 posts Member
edited August 2020
I know it’s all been said before, but we REALLY need some variety in the striking. I think this game could really benefit from some signature styles, sort of like a basketball game with the different moves for different players. Maybe like a certain move set for high level kickboxers, or high level boxers, or some sloppier shots for guys who are grapplers or wrestlers. When every fighter throws virtually every technique the same way like they do now the striking just gets so stale so fast. Every fighter is unique not just in their stance and footwork, but also how they strike. Right now everyone just feels the same. When you’re using a fighter with really nice footwork or someone who’s really good with their range the lack of variety in striking makes it virtually impossible to feel or use those things properly. We need more variety. Think Lyoto Machida and Stephen Thompson’s in and out Karate style. Or Edson Barboza’s crispy technical kick game. Darren till’s traditional Thai boxing style. Justin Gaethje and Nick Diaz with the super high volume punches and high pressure brawling style with their hands up in that high guard. I know they can’t make signature styles/animations for all 200+ fighters, but having some variety between the different styles of fighters would be such a refreshing change in the stand up. It would make playing with different fighters feel so much more rewarding, and force you to really adapt and play to their style to succeed. With that I think the game could also do with adding some new strikes that are becoming common in MMA rn. Low calf kicks, Upkicks from the back, etc. I don’t know if this stuff is at all possible at this stage of the game, but I sure hope we could see it at some point down the line. I want to love this game, but I’m afraid the striking is gonna get old quick.
Post edited by YoungNewport95 on

Replies

• Now that I think about It, I know this stuff is possible. EA UFC 2 had signature animations for certain guys, Nick Diaz comes to mind off the top of my head. I don’t know why they moved away from that. That would be so nice for the feel of the game.
  • Yes I 💯 agree. I have said this along with a few others for a while. It’s a serious issue. It’s like having every MLB Show player have the same exact batting swing or every QB with the same throwing motion. It has to be taken back to the Undisputed 3 days when you could chose strikes (Chuck’s Straight, Lunging Hook, Etc.) UFC 2 has the best striking to date with heavy hooks/uppercuts overhand heavy, wild overhand, heavy straight and jab, etc. Every darn hook from every fighter looks identical in 3 and now in 4. It’s so bad. I need a shovel hook, upper hook, diff angle motions of punches, and for God’s sake the darn overhand makes contact with the back of the fist!! Not every punch is turned over to that extent. How about fixing this or adding new strikes that we can use for our CAFs like Wanderlei’s hooks or Lawler’s shovel hook. It’s not good.
  • YoungNewport95
    86 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    Couldn’t agree more @saintdavid21. All of that would improve the game so much. I’m glad they made some ground improvements and the clinch looks better, but the striking still needs a lot of work. 2 also had that nice long forward lung animation when you flicked the stick that was super solid for range control and for rushing. The way that forward lung/shuffle works in 3 and 4 isn’t nearly as effective. The hooks also, they changed the hooks in 4 to change the range, but now they don’t look nearly as good.
    Post edited by YoungNewport95 on
  • EA_Blueberry
    4647 posts EA Community Manager
    A new type of leg kick has been added to the game - calf kicks. With the addition of these new kicks, the regular leg kick is now done by holding the kick button and tapping the button results in the calf kick. Calf kicks target a lower part of the leg which makes them more effective for destabilizing your opponent (interrupting strikes) and safer than regular leg kicks versus checks. For balance purposes, these new kicks will deal a little less damage than regular leg kicks but they can combo with other strikes in the same way.

UFC 4 (7.0) Patch Notes: https://forums.ea.com/en/ufc/discussion/268603/ufc-4-patch-notes-7-0#latest
  • saintdavid21
    43 posts Member
    edited January 21
    This is very nice. Thanks. As stated though, let’s get a few more! Start with a different type of hook like wandys. Please. The hooks are the worst only because everyone throws the exact same type. Get a shovel hook or low to high type hook with fist neutral👍 instead of pronated🤜. Like 2 had all those heavy hooks and crosses. And for the love of God, why can’t we edit our CAFs. It’s mind blowing. Do something for the offline players...please.
  • I absolutely agree ! The game has several variations of crosses and jabs ,but the hooks are the same for everyone.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4647 posts EA Community Manager
    This is very nice. Thanks. As stated though, let’s get a few more! Start with a different type of hook like wandys. Please. The hooks are the worst only because everyone throws the exact same type. Get a shovel hook or low to high type hook with fist neutral👍 instead of pronated🤜. Like 2 had all those heavy hooks and crosses. And for the love of God, why can’t we edit our CAFs. It’s mind blowing. Do something for the offline players...please.

This is a huge request I've been sharing with the team. I unfortunately don't have any insights to share on what direction they'll be going in whether editing CAFs is in the pipeline, but keep sharing your thoughts and I'll keep reminding them it's an important feature the community wants.
  • saintdavid21
    43 posts Member
    edited January 24
    Thanks very much for letting us know you’re trying to get that message across to the team. It means a lot that at least you are trying. Now we just need the team to just give in. We know they realize how important it is to so many of us. They just need to make the choice to give back to the OGs who like to play offline and have fun in their own private game modes without being online. Think about it, Madden has player archetypes, but we can still edit and change them. Also every other UFC gave us full edit control. C’mon EA we can’t keep playing career over and over to build a CAF the way we want just to have the career end and the CAF rendered useless.