EA Forums - Banner

[Wednesday Weekly] Patch Request/Feedback: Clinch & GnP

Prev13
mp2232
37 posts Member
edited August 2020
Let’s use this thread to discuss what the Dev Team needs to address with its first patch.

Please post the position/techniques that are unfavorable in the game or you feel needs modifying. I’d also appreciate the logic behind it, give us your reasoning.

Here are my thoughts, thanks for your input in advance,

CLINCH
The Clinch game has been tuned nicely and is pretty smooth and realistic, I also like the multiple intricate transitions/sweeps/throws that require Modifier button and trigger (Xbox) or L2 (ps)
The piece here that needs addressing is the relative inability to avoid the clinch. If you aren’t keeping your distance 100% of the time you will get clinched, the only other way to defend against the Collar Hooks is to move your head with the Right Stick and hope your going in the right direction to avoid the Collar Hook attempt. Definitely would like to see more cues to look for in avoidance or another avoid technique.

GROUND AND POUND
This is a portion of the game that I do not think got better since the last rendition. The ground and pound is very very very difficult to defend against once your opponent postures up. The amount of skill it takes to secure a takedown and posture up is not much. Very easy to posture up, and it’s all you have to do. Would like to see increased ability to defend ground and pound strikes, guessing with the LB/ R1 and left stick for a hook block is ridiculously hard and ineffective, and the system to defend GNP is altogether terrible.

What do you guys think?
Post edited by EA_Blueberry on

Replies

• Top Priority PURPLE SCREEN GLITCH FIX. Game breaker worse ive encountered EVER.
  • mp2232
    37 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    Thanks Hasty, hope they fix that for you and others. Also, are you using XB1 or PS4? If XB1 press and hold Xbox Button on your controller and select Restart Console, this will clear some cached data and junk and may give you a chance to get past the Purple Screen
  • Clinch denial AND ground and pound defence 100% gamebreakers
  • Some of the strikes haven't been connecting for me in both clinch and ground and pound. Like in the clinch, I wound throw a knee to my opponents head and it barely hits his/her face.

Stamina needs to be addressed to as it has been brought up. I dont get my fighter can beat the crap out of my opponent and the opponent comes back like nothing happened. My opponent should be worn out.

Can EA look at replays? Why do I get the same replay 3 times from the previous round? I want to see what else happened besides seeing the same hook 3 times. Can we create our own replays?
    I miss the highlight reel from UFC 3 Undisputed.

I'm on PS4.
  • We need tkos imo
  • we 10000% need OVER UNDER and DOUBLE UNDER clinch at the FENCE !
    how can they release an MMA game without these major positions !
    still cant belive ...
  • More fighters as there should be and Ultimate Team.
  • also we need elbow strikes and hammer fists form top mount !!!
  • Too easy to spam slam takedowns, not super terrible but definitely Op
  • Thanks guys! Let’s keep this going! More thoughts,

RottenRonnie: what I’m hearing is we need better ability to defend takedowns.

—-I do think in the last game at times it was too easy to defend the takedown. This is a hard line to tow as a developer I’m sure. In Simulation Gaming we attempt to create a “real” experience. In real life MMA wrestlers generally have good luck with takedowns, especially early in fights. Could use some more timing to deny the takedown slightly I think.

Vlado: absolute no-brainer!! So true! Where the hell are the elbows and hammers?!? Also!! Where are the under hooks?!? So true.

Métis: which fighters would u like to see added?

• TKO and AI referee are prior because without the 4th game of ufc game can’t be decent at all . We already did this on ufc 3 during 2 years . Playing ufc game mean ( surprise , exciting , shocking , luck ) as a real ufc fight . The fact is ufc 4 is yet too identical to ufc 3 and we played a lot so we just can’t play the same way we played those 2 years . So

- fighting issues
    - 5 round titles fight
    - Real Tko ( still protecting himself early stoppage)
    - AI referee interferes submissions
    - Fixing glitch issue
    - And others..
  • Some of the strikes haven't been connecting for me in both clinch and ground and pound. Like in the clinch, I wound throw a knee to my opponents head and it barely hits his/her face.

Stamina needs to be addressed to as it has been brought up. I dont get my fighter can beat the crap out of my opponent and the opponent comes back like nothing happened. My opponent should be worn out.

Can EA look at replays? Why do I get the same replay 3 times from the previous round? I want to see what else happened besides seeing the same hook 3 times. Can we create our own replays?
    I miss the highlight reel from UFC 3 Undisputed.

I'm on PS4.

Wolf, thanks for the insight.

I think the Clinch Game has been adapted to become more of a volume striking, leverage system. Here’s what I have experienced so far ; in general, if you can land the elbow in the clinch it’s devastating. Knees work well and can be thrown in double abundance. They don’t do as much damage as you may expect, damage is increased when your opponents stamina is low, and if you can get your opponent on the cage, and use the left stick to apply pressure in the right direction (leverage) your opponent can be held and knees can be pretty abundant here. **The way to defend here** You need to move the left stick when your back is on the cage TOWARD the under hook. We call this “out the backside” or “backdoor escape”

The clinch is fairly difficult to defend when it comes to strikes. The best defense I’ve found is to block a strike and use the left stick to pull away from the opponent (left stick opposite direction of opponent) Again, the key here is it’s easier after you block a strike.

Stamina I can definitely see has been brought up. It does seem to me that if you can weather the storm, land some body strikes, and stay out of the deep water damage-wise, later in the fight you can really get an upper hand and go ballistic with strikes, here’s the line that devs are towing here, and I think they did well with this here:

The Last Game Was Fairly Difficult To have any confidence in moving your head/minor sway as it was hard to do and moving in the wrong direction was devastating if you lean into a strike. Not a savory part of the game IMO. This Game however seems to be easier to accomplish successful head movement defense, it’s easier to string into combos, and the striking DISTANCE has been nerfed a bit, which is good because it can be easier to defend against the guy who plays this game like it’s Tekken or Streetfighter, spamming strikes off the rip. The Last Game rewarded these bums a lot more than this game does, if you can become confident implementing the head movement.

GUYS, I have a lot more commentary, breakdown, and just shared experiences with UFC 4 which I will be streaming and uploading on my YouTube channel. I will address things that you’d like to talk about so look for my post later tonight with the link!!

Let’s keep the chat going here I like the thoughts.
  • mp2232 wrote: »
    Thanks guys! Let’s keep this going! More thoughts,

RottenRonnie: what I’m hearing is we need better ability to defend takedowns.

—-I do think in the last game at times it was too easy to defend the takedown. This is a hard line to tow as a developer I’m sure. In Simulation Gaming we attempt to create a “real” experience. In real life MMA wrestlers generally have good luck with takedowns, especially early in fights. Could use some more timing to deny the takedown slightly I think.

Vlado: absolute no-brainer!! So true! Where the hell are the elbows and hammers?!? Also!! Where are the under hooks?!? So true.

Métis: which fighters would u like to see added?

Oh man, I would love a few for sure. I will definitely be forgetting some, but some I want are Geoff Neal, Niko Price, Merab, Luque, Jiri Prochazka, Marvin Vettori, Gregor Gillespie, Calvin Kattar, Sodiq Yussif, Ryan Hall. There’s a few female fighters too, but I’m sure some high-brower will say otherwise. Let’s hope EA puts those fighters in!
  • Fluid control scheme like Ufc 2 and 3!

This whole setup is a cluster. From body shots that become double legs, to the jumbled but inputs to do body kicks. The game is fun, but the control scheme is flaming dumpster juice!

Ragdoll KOs , TKOs, and Doctor Stoppages (as if we havent beat that horse to death on this forum)

Ground and Pound with actual impact and elbows.

Pride rules in Kumite.

PLEASE ADJUST THE GROUND GAME! FROM STAMINA ISSUES, TO OP WRESTLERS AND GRAPPLERS, CONSTANT TRANSITION DENIALS, THERE IS LITERALLY 0 TIME TO STUFF ANY SORT OF TAKEDOWN!

Less Fort Nite and more UFC!

EA, lets just be honest! Kids dont typically watch UFC. Not many kids are going to just pick up UFC games and learn these in-depth control schemes. The average kid could probably identify Conor McGregor and maybe Jon Jones, Nate Diaz, and Jorge Masvidal.

Can we please gear this towards the demo that actually wants so spend money on a game we would enjoy? Is that what this company about? Making money!

• Oh and that weird stall to take damage before you can defend GnP so the AI can get set can go too. Nobody gets taken down, and waits to get swung on.
  • EA_Blueberry
    4770 posts EA Community Manager
    mp2232 wrote: »
    Let’s use this thread to discuss what the Dev Team needs to address with its first patch.

Please post the position/techniques that are unfavorable in the game or you feel needs modifying. I’d also appreciate the logic behind it, give us your reasoning.

Here are my thoughts, thanks for your input in advance,

CLINCH
    The Clinch game has been tuned nicely and is pretty smooth and realistic, I also like the multiple intricate transitions/sweeps/throws that require Modifier button and trigger (Xbox) or L2 (ps)
    The piece here that needs addressing is the relative inability to avoid the clinch. If you aren’t keeping your distance 100% of the time you will get clinched, the only other way to defend against the Collar Hooks is to move your head with the Right Stick and hope your going in the right direction to avoid the Collar Hook attempt. Definitely would like to see more cues to look for in avoidance or another avoid technique.

GROUND AND POUND
    This is a portion of the game that I do not think got better since the last rendition. The ground and pound is very very very difficult to defend against once your opponent postures up. The amount of skill it takes to secure a takedown and posture up is not much. Very easy to posture up, and it’s all you have to do. Would like to see increased ability to defend ground and pound strikes, guessing with the LB/ R1 and left stick for a hook block is ridiculously hard and ineffective, and the system to defend GNP is altogether terrible.

What do you guys think?

Hey, @mp2232!

Thank you for kicking off a great post around Clinch and GnP. I made a change to your post title and will make this our weekly topic of discussion.

I know a lot of you that commented in here with other very important features or fixes needed such as the purple loading screen freeze. (the UFC team is aware of this and working to fix it as quickly as possible. We have threads in our Answers HQ on it where we will continue providing updates)

It's important to not derail conversations and try to keep it on-topic to get a constructive conversation going. @mp2232 wants this thread to have a conversation on Clinch & GnP.

We want to know how you all feel around the Clinch & Ground and Pound game from where the game stands right now. I'll make sure we get this thread up to the team to take a peak at. So whatever comes to your mind right now on what you think feels great, not so great, or ideas on what you think will improve these two aspects of UFC 4, punch it to us below.

Some important things to consider. Fighters in the Octagon being used and the game mode are helpful pieces of information when you're relaying your thoughts. Video footage is always a bonus too if you're willing to toss in any content you think will be helpful to your views.

Looking forward to this discussion.
  • UNIVERSE MODE for the first patch!
    🤞🏼😀
    I know won’t happen...😢 so how about
    - TKO’s
    -fix tattoo glitch when going back to edit CAF all tattoos are gone
    -make moveset for CAF editable
  • This is good stuff guys! The fact that a productive forum can be made, good back and forth can be established and THEN the folks at EA actually get involved to show they are with us on this and hearing us out, I love to see it!

The more you are willing to detail, support with video, reference fighters your using, (this is easy we can do this) the more weight (if you will) your post has. Which makes sense, let’s face it, generally speaking, myself included, we aren’t great at explaining game sequences with words, so clip some videos, use your Xbox app (if PS4 I’m not sure) to save them onto your mobile phone and then post them here if you guys can do that.

Remember, when you feel like there’s an unsavory sequence in game, screen record that sucker and get it on this forum. They’re listening!! Take advantage of your opportunity to voice your thoughts and influence change to this game.

• 1. work on standup fluidity and impact, body shots do like a quarter of the damage from ufc 3
    2.Clinch DENIAL mechanic PLEASE
    3. striking feels telegraphed and slow, combos feel awkward to chain,
    4. overall punch impact feels unsatisfying, almost like punches aren't connecting most of the time
    5. work on stamina punishment especially with spamming, cause right now you can spam forever and your stamina will be okay
    6. work on ground and pound, I think the new system sucks so bad and just doesn't make sense, just bring back the old ground and pound with elbows, it was so good
  • vladoskartos
    56 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    Need to fix those weird KO animations first, make it ragdoll, because it’s already getting very annoying to see fighters fall into the same 3-4 positions after getting knocked out. And make easier to defend hooks on the ground, straights is easy to dodge, but to defend yourself from hooks is very difficult. Also add more damage to the body on the ground when doing GnP while postured up.Also fix that hit detection, I have noticed that a lot of times when throwing kicks, I see them connect but no damage is done.