EA Forums - Banner

Making reads and breaking rhythm: a discussion and tutorial

EA_Blueberry
4276 posts EA Community Manager
Hey, UFC Community.

Highlighting a post from forum user @ZyaffYT via this post. If you want to respond with feedback please reply there.

"Making reads" is something that you will hear pro or competitive players refer to a lot when playing UFC 4. They tend to say it after a big counter, or after a combination their opponent throws. Today, I thought I'd take a closer look at what making reads really is, how to do it, and what the benefits are.

To start off, we need to address the fact that all players have patterns. Nobody changes what they do every second of every fight, so as you play a specific opponent, you need to take a mental note of their patterns -- What strikes they throw and the timing that they throw them at. This segues into my next point; timing and rhythm.

Every player has patterns, and every player also has a specific cadence, or rhythm that they throw to. For example; Jab - pause - Jab straight hook - pause - Uppercut hook. That's a very simple cadence, and the key is not to pick up on what exact strikes are being thrown, because those vary. What is important is to pick up on the type of strike being thrown; straight strike or round strike. When you realize that the second strike in every combination of a specific player's arsenal is going to be a straight strike, now you've made your first read.

It's that simple. "Making a read" simply refers to picking up on what a player is doing at a specific time or during a specific sequence. For another example, picking up on the fact that a player is pulling on every third strike you throw and then firing off a counter uppercut.

Now, we can talk about acting upon your reads. Once you are sufficiently confident in the read that you have made, you can begin to act upon it. Figure out what is going to be the best counter to your opponent's sequence, wait for them to perform it, and then use your appropriate counter. To use our earlier example that the second strike in every combination is straight, we make sure to wait for the first strike, then preemptively slip the second strike and throw a straight (or an uppercut, depending on the range).

It's a bit different when you talk about a player's cadence. Interrupting a player's cadence is a bit more complicated, but can still be done. Here, the key is to intercept the opponent each time they get into a rhythm, or not allow them to get into the rhythm in the first place. There are a few methods to achieve this.

First is mid-sequence interruption. This is done by again, making your read on the cadence, and then firing off a counter (leg kick, straight, pull uppercut, etc.) right in the middle. This will make your opponent not wish to commit to their usual rhythm because every time they do, they get punished for it. Now, you have thrown them off their game because they don't know what to do without their cadence.
Second is pressure. If a player constantly is catching you with their timing, you want to take that away. This means that you have to crowd them. Get in their face and use well timed combinations and shots to keep them on the back foot, thus not allowing them to settle in and get comfortable.

Third is outside fighting. If you really cannot do the first two, this is your safest bet. Never get into a range that the opponent can start firing off at their own pace, instead throwing single shots and intercepting when safe. Remember that you are not required to engage when not comfortable. Fight at your OWN pace.

Let me know if this helped you out, I'll see ya guys later.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!