EA Forums - Banner

EA has wasted the license

Prev1
Hear me out,

The game is at times enjoyable, it at times feels fluid, it can look nice, and with the addition of Cormier the commentary is improved massively from can't be arsed Joe.

But honestly when you think of what's been done with this license in the past, and what the potential holds for this game, I can't help but be disappointed to pay £60 for a game I may play a lot but will always remind me that it's not what it could be.

Create an event
Are you telling me you have this as a whole 'mode' yet it's literally one 'fight now' after another, none of them linking together, always full arenas even if you setup a full card which presumably includes prelims, no sense that it's first fight of the night or main event, no effort to show anything that would come from a real event like "coming up later" or nods to the city they're in, special media slots, etc. so much could be done with this to make it memorable, right now it's just a way to have one fight follow another.

Undisputed did this better 10 years ago.

Fight pass and regional promotions
The WFA doesn't exist. It hasn't existed for 14 years! what on earth is this nonsense in your career? the UFC has access to licensing for a number of promotions currently active that would be a blast to stop through on the road to the big show, How about I can start out fighting fighting in Alaska at AFC? or start in Canada, or the UK with Cage Warriors or if I pick a female, Invicta? Why not show some initiative with this and give us something interesting and CURRENT. I repeat, the WFA has not existed in nearly 15 years.

Pride
The UFC owns the license and all material for Pride FC, yet you have not touched this at all? One of the most famous MMA orgs ever, at your fingertips? Nothing? I know it's the greatest game, but look at what WWE 2K did with their career mode, they had dream sequences where the characters wrestled in old WWE vents, or weird things, or whatever, there are many ways to put a current character in an old show. And that's career, you could just have this as a mode choice for fight now and event and it would still be cool.

Do I have to say it? Undisputed did this 10 years ago.

Characters
I find it amazing that after all of the talk of customization and what players wanted, all that is added is some cheap 'gear' so I can look like I'm off to play Volta. There are no first names, still, there are no new nicknames, are you kidding? We can't go without a nickname for whatever reason, yet you limit us to the rubbish that is there, none of them particularly interesting or unique. You even have the cheek to have an alphabet menu at the top as if they all wouldn't fit on 2 pages.

Body types limited, hair is better though, tattoos identical, you need more more more in this feature, you give us meh.

Career mode interactions
Where are the press conferences, weight ins, interviews, all massive parts of the UFC product, relegated to a quick teaser clip in this game STILL, even codemasters F1 games, hell even AO Tennis for gods sake, has you beat on media interaction in a game where one of your core focuses is media hype. click a menu item, lose some points, gain some hype, fascinating. Why not a cut scene where our fighter is shown doing the thing? Or better yet, make them interactive!

--

Come on guys, you have one of the best, fastest growing, most lucrative licenses in sports, with a rich history and thriving, vibrant world, yet you show us the bare minimum each year to get by. It's maddening, it really is, as your gameplay is.. nearly there.. I'll leave that for others, but it's enough to make it enjoyable, but the game you have built around it is not even 5% of the world you're trying to present.

Do better next gen.

Replies

• Yeah I felt all this. Even though I have bought every game they have made and enjoyed most of them, the idea of what this game could’ve had by the 4th installment always makes me feel it could’ve been so much better. Honestly hoping 2k goes for the rights of this game and try it out. Even though they haven’t been the best at times too
  • Agreed. Hopefully the UFC revokes it and goes with another company to make an actual simulation game. This is for kids and noobs.
  • Do we really want to start the development cycle again with a new developer after all these years? EA have actually made what is currently the best fighting sim that has ever existed.
    The career mode could stand a lot of improvement I'll agree. There could be some quite fun mini games involved such as contractual wrangles etc that actually have career impact but as far as the fighting in the octagon part goes I just think they've nailed the basics there.
  • Mercia66 wrote: »
    Hear me out,

The game is at times enjoyable, it at times feels fluid, it can look nice, and with the addition of Cormier the commentary is improved massively from can't be arsed Joe.

But honestly when you think of what's been done with this license in the past, and what the potential holds for this game, I can't help but be disappointed to pay £60 for a game I may play a lot but will always remind me that it's not what it could be.

Create an event
    Are you telling me you have this as a whole 'mode' yet it's literally one 'fight now' after another, none of them linking together, always full arenas even if you setup a full card which presumably includes prelims, no sense that it's first fight of the night or main event, no effort to show anything that would come from a real event like "coming up later" or nods to the city they're in, special media slots, etc. so much could be done with this to make it memorable, right now it's just a way to have one fight follow another.

Undisputed did this better 10 years ago.

Fight pass and regional promotions
    The WFA doesn't exist. It hasn't existed for 14 years! what on earth is this nonsense in your career? the UFC has access to licensing for a number of promotions currently active that would be a blast to stop through on the road to the big show, How about I can start out fighting fighting in Alaska at AFC? or start in Canada, or the UK with Cage Warriors or if I pick a female, Invicta? Why not show some initiative with this and give us something interesting and CURRENT. I repeat, the WFA has not existed in nearly 15 years.

Pride
    The UFC owns the license and all material for Pride FC, yet you have not touched this at all? One of the most famous MMA orgs ever, at your fingertips? Nothing? I know it's the greatest game, but look at what WWE 2K did with their career mode, they had dream sequences where the characters wrestled in old WWE vents, or weird things, or whatever, there are many ways to put a current character in an old show. And that's career, you could just have this as a mode choice for fight now and event and it would still be cool.

Do I have to say it? Undisputed did this 10 years ago.

Characters
    I find it amazing that after all of the talk of customization and what players wanted, all that is added is some cheap 'gear' so I can look like I'm off to play Volta. There are no first names, still, there are no new nicknames, are you kidding? We can't go without a nickname for whatever reason, yet you limit us to the rubbish that is there, none of them particularly interesting or unique. You even have the cheek to have an alphabet menu at the top as if they all wouldn't fit on 2 pages.

Body types limited, hair is better though, tattoos identical, you need more more more in this feature, you give us meh.

Career mode interactions
    Where are the press conferences, weight ins, interviews, all massive parts of the UFC product, relegated to a quick teaser clip in this game STILL, even codemasters F1 games, hell even AO Tennis for gods sake, has you beat on media interaction in a game where one of your core focuses is media hype. click a menu item, lose some points, gain some hype, fascinating. Why not a cut scene where our fighter is shown doing the thing? Or better yet, make them interactive!

--

Come on guys, you have one of the best, fastest growing, most lucrative licenses in sports, with a rich history and thriving, vibrant world, yet you show us the bare minimum each year to get by. It's maddening, it really is, as your gameplay is.. nearly there.. I'll leave that for others, but it's enough to make it enjoyable, but the game you have built around it is not even 5% of the world you're trying to present.

Do better next gen.

“Each year” nah man, it’s every 2-3 years. They release ufc game each 2-3 years. After UFC2 they went downhill. They just don’t care about MMA but still have that license. Every time they release ufc game, it’s always at minimum. They have completely no dedication for MMA game. 8 years of total development and the game feels worse than the game that was released in 2011 🤦🏻‍♂️ I hope EA DOESNT RENEW THE LICENSE.
  • > @rylee3812 said:
    > Do we really want to start the development cycle again with a new developer after all these years? EA have actually made what is currently the best fighting sim that has ever existed.
    > The career mode could stand a lot of improvement I'll agree. There could be some quite fun mini games involved such as contractual wrangles etc that actually have career impact but as far as the fighting in the octagon part goes I just think they've nailed the basics there.

None of the UFC games made by EA has come close to Undisputed 3. It is by far the best MMA game to date and probably the the best combat sports game ever made.
  • I enjoyed Undisputed 3 well enough but in my opinion this one tops it in overall scope.
  • > @rylee3812 said:
    > I enjoyed Undisputed 3 well enough but in my opinion this one tops it in overall scope.

I don't know what you mean by 'overall scope' mate?
    This game is UFC 3 with some minor adjustments. It has no new modes. It has added little to the modes it has. The new career stuff is over before you even start, and the increased 'interaction' is surface level at best.
    The WFA lives on 15 years later STILL in this game?!?!?!
    Where is the scope? What am I missing?
  • You must not remember Undisputed 3 enough. You had event creator, Pride mode, etc. Even in career mode, you could take fights above your weight class or below without having to wait and defend a title multiple times. You could also fight in Pride or the lower level pro scene instead of just taking UFC fights in career mode. Undisputed 3 was light years ahead in both creativeness and overall gameplay. The only thing EA has going for them is their striking mechanics. Undisputed 3 had grappling and clinch perfected to a level that EA will clearly never reach. Really sad that a game that was released 8 years ago is still so much better than the fourth installation of a game for EA.
  • The only hope we have is if 2k buys them out
  • > @Mercia66 said:
    > > @rylee3812 said:
    > > I enjoyed Undisputed 3 well enough but in my opinion this one tops it in overall scope.
    >
    > I don't know what you mean by 'overall scope' mate?
    > This game is UFC 3 with some minor adjustments. It has no new modes. It has added little to the modes it has. The new career stuff is over before you even start, and the increased 'interaction' is surface level at best.
    > The WFA lives on 15 years later STILL in this game?!?!?!
    > Where is the scope? What am I missing?

I mean "overall scope" in that the design mechanics used in UFC4 are more complex than they were in UFC3 undisputed. There are more positions available and they require more strategic thought to employ usefully.
    Undisputed was too linear as well in the way that your fighters stamina degraded. You couldn't really come back from a stamina differential once one had opened up between you and your opponent and as far as I recall it was always a guaranteed stay down on the third knockdown, so it wasn't very organic in the way it flowed. It had some nice touches, like the flick the stick reversal thing and I liked the way it felt to play but I think there is just more in these ones. (This one is by no means there yet but I'm hopeful).
  • rylee3812 wrote: »
    I enjoyed Undisputed 3 well enough but in my opinion this one tops it in overall scope.

Stop the 🧢 bro . This games ground game is childish at most . Literally if the striking from this game and updated roster and graphics added to the undisputed it would be the greatest to date . This game lacks the very foundations of mma and has made it more into a fortnite / mortal Kombat

• mrbass13
    2 posts New member
    this game can be fun at times but 🎃🎃🎃🎃 me how did they spend 2 years making this game and it isn't as good as 3 ? How is that even possible.

If they had off just took the gameplay of 3 and tweaked a few things and added a pride mode that would have been just great.

Also what is to stop them having multiple different types of MMA rule sets ? Its not like EA MMA didnt have that option.
  • I’m hoping they let go of the license. I was just playing and could not stop a takedown unless I was holding lt+rt way before they shot. I’ve reached my breaking point to this game. It’s a shame
  • I wish I could get my money back, I really loved ufc 3 but this is complete trash. You can easly tell that ppl who worked on ufc 4 are not mma fans.
  • There is always the chance that updates will solve the problems. I remember some other titles where you could just keep kicking constantly with no real stamina penalty and that eventually got fixed. Its frustrating to wait but I can't imagine EA leaving the game in this state indefinitely.
  • They think nobody will give a #### about Pride mode but literally everyone asks for it. Could do Pride mode, have the og ufc octagon and alot more oldschool fighters, some kind of career mode or story mode that follows the history of the sport from UFC 1 to now would be amazing. I don’t they have any real huge knowledgeable fans of the sport working at EA or at least making decisions. There is so muxh potential with the rich history of the sport,
  • Mercia66
    61 posts Member
    edited August 29
    They think nobody will give a #### about Pride mode but literally everyone asks for it. Could do Pride mode, have the og ufc octagon and alot more oldschool fighters, some kind of career mode or story mode that follows the history of the sport from UFC 1 to now would be amazing. I don’t they have any real huge knowledgeable fans of the sport working at EA or at least making decisions. There is so muxh potential with the rich history of the sport,

They don't have any imagination, mate. And they do not know what they have with the license. They have 4 sports licenses, that's it, it's important to understand where EA is right now. They need to keep pumping licensed games to keep the cash flow, quality is not important. Go look at the Madden reception, rated 6 on IGN, IGN! slaughtered by its community. Context for how pathetic UFC 4 is can be found there.

The more I played it the more unhappy I grew with it. Career mode is a total wash, it's completely pointless and has barely progressed from Fight Night Champion. Event mode is useless so all you have is online where you'll find punch spammers who aren't punished by stamina, ground and pound losses cos defense is completely out of user control, and wrestle jockeys cos takedowns can not be defended.

You want to go online and use their much touted striking system? Hah. Good luck against all that. I found the odd fun opponent who wanted to fight realistically, everyone else was just cheesing as above, frustrating, and soon uninstalled.

These companies that give EA their license need to be really be looking at how their product is being represented. They need to realise that their license is actually profitable in the gaming world no matter who has it, and that putting out something of real quality will be lauded and remembered by fans, a la NFL 2K5 or Undisputed 3.

This game is so bad you need to fill in a form to request actual active UFC fighters be put into the official UFC game.

This is not a yearly title, they've had 3+ years to work on this, and this total heap of crap is what they release.
  • [quote="rylee3812;c-2151009"]There is always the chance that updates will solve the problems. I remember some other titles where you could just keep kicking constantly with no real stamina penalty and that eventually got fixed. Its frustrating to wait but I can't imagine EA leaving the game in this state indefinitely.[/quote]

Updates can't solve a terrible game...that update would be called ufc 5. But after this...nobody will buy ufc 5
  • The general perception I get from EA is that they think having to request actual UFC fighters be put into the official UFC game is fun community engagement.

Same with asking for features that should be in the game after 4 editions, lets make a poll!

They're so completely off the planet as a company it's hard to see coming back and adding anything substantial to the game from here, besides trying to put ads back.
  • Ea is a 🎃🎃🎃🎃 company I’m sick of it man Im really trying to stay positive but it’s becoming really hard to tolerate the 🎃🎃🎃🎃 they be pulling! Every time I play the game it reminds me of how doodoo this 🎃🎃🎃🎃 really is should have been selling the game for $30 for what we got!