EA Forums - Banner

[Wednesday Weekly] Striking Spammers Continually Rewarded

Prev1
mp2232
37 posts Member
edited August 2020
I keep facing Masvidal and Volko and they just never stop throwing 1-2 combos and somehow there’s no penalty, there’s nothing by way of preventing these guys from just literally striking from bell to bell. They don’t stop. And they get rewarded. Unsavory piece of this franchise.
Post edited by EA_Blueberry on

Replies

  • Whilst I agree, move back, strike to body multiple times.
  • David75675 wrote: »
    Whilst I agree, move back, strike to body multiple times.

    I really didn't want to have to endorse this complaint as I know there are 'counters' and it's about learning to adapt, but honestly, you can do this a couple times and it works, but they just spam indefinitely regardless and it becomes just tiring and tedious.

    They're not punished by stamina at all and any counters are momentary breaks, not solutions currently.
  • I've been preaching this however all we get is "side step move back hit uppercut and throw a leg kick. Ok now you'll turn into a unicorn and blind him with your plus five sparkling pants." I wonder if they even play this game online?
  • It's because of how fast they can break down your block with just straights alone.If it was like ufc 3 they wouldn't be spamming straights.
  • Either way, I hear a lot of this and I see a lot of this. Maybe it’s more about putting together a set of strategies to neutralize these guys
  • mp2232 wrote: »
    Either way, I hear a lot of this and I see a lot of this. Maybe it’s more about putting together a set of strategies to neutralize these guys

    I mean they could balance their game but uh, haha. EA worse than ever.
  • Stamina still needs to be reworked. But I hated in ufc 3 when it became about just punch punch, step back hold block and time the kick catch. At least now I can break someones block better, or actually get successful clinches and takedowns to mix it up. Footwork and defense is a much higher priority in this game.

    I love people who spam them punches. Be patient, circle, use your footwork. Keep your block high and move your head, and wait for those beautiful counters (strikes, clinch OR takedown)
  • **** annoying
  • EA_Blueberry
    4770 posts EA Community Manager
    mp2232 wrote: »
    I keep facing Masvidal and Volko and they just never stop throwing 1-2 combos and somehow there’s no penalty, there’s nothing by way of preventing these guys from just literally striking from bell to bell. They don’t stop. And they get rewarded. Unsavory piece of this franchise.

    @mp2232

    I'm going to make your post as a starting point to this week's forum discussion. Last week we talked about Clinch & Ground and Pound, join the discussion here if you still want to jump in. There have been a lot of conversations within this boards about stamina (requests to have it drain more significantly) and how fighters who are spamming strikes tend to have an advantage inside the octagon.

    Let's breakdown our thoughts into two areas:
    1. How do you combat fighters that are spamming strikes? We're observing your feedback on how you feel it's impacting your overall gameplay in terms of balance and that can be part of your second thoughts to this discussion, but if you have any tips on what works best for you when you're coming across these type of tendancies, we can use this conversation as a resource on improving our skillsets in defending against it.
    2. Your second thoughts can be on whether you feel these statements are true, are strikers the meta right now? What do you think the developers should do in order to balance strikers against other fighting styles. Be as specific as possible.

    Strike us with your thoughts.
  • YouPapi3o6
    65 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    Stamina drain

    Some players throw over 150 strikes in a round. They miss a lot of those strikes as well. There should be a higher stamina tax for missed/slipped strikes, blocked/interrupted strikes and consecutive missed strikes thrown. I feel this would help to slow down the spam. I do enjoy the striking but it does need some tweaking.

    Minor lunges

    Minor lunges are helpful in the sense that if they’re timed right they will set you up for a devastating combo but they don’t drain enough stamina. Everyone abuses the minor lunge. I think a lot of people are confusing the minor lunge for a step back. A lot of players use the minor lunge consecutively without losing stamina for it. They go forward, left, right back, or minor lunge three times to the right or left, or in different variations. The problem is that they will do this and step into hooks or straights and even leg kicks with no effect from the strikes. A higher stamina drain for the person doing consecutive lunges or higher damage received for the person doing the minor lunge while stepping into the strikes would help to negate this.

    Preset combinations

    The striking almost works as an advantage for one side. Sometimes the strikes I throw will not be thrown because of something my opponent does. This is due to preset combinations. One animation over powers the other animation. I want to mix my own combos and not have to follow preset combinations. This is another thing I feel would help to stop spam fighters because it will allow players to adapt to each other’s fighting styles faster.
  • I agree. Needs to be more tax stamina on missed puches..they are throwing 100 punches with max stamina lol
  • YouPapi3o6 wrote: »
    Stamina drain

    Some players throw over 150 strikes in a round. They miss a lot of those strikes as well. There should be a higher stamina tax for missed/slipped strikes, blocked/interrupted strikes and consecutive missed strikes thrown. I feel this would help to slow down the spam. I do enjoy the striking but it does need some tweaking.

    Minor lunges

    Minor lunges are helpful in the sense that if they’re timed right they will set you up for a devastating combo but they don’t drain enough stamina. Everyone abuses the minor lunge. I think a lot of people are confusing the minor lunge for a step back. A lot of players use the minor lunge consecutively without losing stamina for it. They go forward, left, right back, or minor lunge three times to the right or left, or in different variations. The problem is that they will do this and step into hooks or straights and even leg kicks with no effect from the strikes. A higher stamina drain for the person doing consecutive lunges or higher damage received for the person doing the minor lunge while stepping into the strikes would help to negate this.

    Preset combinations

    The striking almost works as an advantage for one side. Sometimes the strikes I throw will not be thrown because of something my opponent does. This is due to preset combinations. One animation over powers the other animation. I want to mix my own combos and not have to follow preset combinations. This is another thing I feel would help to stop spam fighters because it will allow players to adapt to each other’s fighting styles faster.

    100 agree
  • My only gripe about striking was the control changes and the step back in fluidity. Kicks and punches used to use distinct buttons, everything had its own input. Now with multiple strikes/ grapple commands on one input it makes the game a little messy. The overhand right is a big one for me, as instead of just throwing the punch my character will sometimes pretend he wants to clinch. I really really really wish you guys could just reset the control scheme back to the original. Where striking used the buttons, and grappling used the sticks. Make spinning kicks stick to the kick buttons, make spinning elbows be distinct. No sharing inputs and "hold" inputs instead of press.
  • I kind of want to see strikes with one arm while the other is protecting the chin..first thing fighters learn is to throw a punch while covering the chin or head with the other arm..is it hard to implement? It feels like sock em robots at times
  • The only way to safely combat the spammers is to back up and most of them tire themselves out. That ain't realistic at all , The way they can break your guard with straights is ridiculous and people are now doing it after you throw anything in return they mash a jab cross jab cross then because your blocks soo low then try clinch or overhand . That's the meta . Horrible horrible unrealistic style.
  • @EA_Blueberry Ok I'm not sure if this has been addressed yet but I can't find anything on it yet and I know there lots of us that have been vocal about it. The knockout animations, how they snap into the exact same place 95 percent of the time this is a definite problem and I have voiced this before, will it be worked on? Can we go back to ragdoll? That would be awesome! But if not can I get a reason why this has been changed because it just honestly looks really bad and it makes the game get boring fast. I love the gameplay but those ko's need to feel more natural and physics based. If anyone at all can address this I would appreciate it big time. Sorry if I posted this on the wrong thread but it seemed like the most recent one and I'm hoping to get some answers for all of us. ✊
  • I’m looking forward to responding to @EA_Blueberry using the response format he suggested.

    1. My defense against the striking spammers is usually to use movement and major sways/side step whatever you call it. I look for a hook to come then step to that side quickly or shoot a takedown. I’m learning to clinch these spammers more but the issue is the banshee spammers with good timing can take the smaller weight class guys (volko is a big glitch rn) and simply never stop striking.

    They interrupt the clinch attempt and they block the takedown, as a result im stamina taxed due to blocked takedown and my grapple attempts interrupted drain it as well. They mix in a couple body shots and here’s the situation that results because of the fact that the missed strikes don’t tax stamina enough and **one other aspect I believe is missing in this game** : your in the first round and your stamina is significantly drained due to the striking spamming and what’s mentioned above, and you cannot get away from the guy.

    The guy on the other side has thrown 76 1-2 combos and has all his stamina.

    2. I do feel the strikers are the metas, here’s an idea since specifics are asked for.

    An effective, low low stamina cost, Step Back
    Essentially this would be a revamped major backwards sway/lunge. Please see John Dodson real fights Dev Team. If you watch for any amount of time you should see how Dodson very well illustrates the use of the back step, it’s also very common amongst most fighters. The LB + RS away from opponent right now is lazy and gomy and that’s not how strikers move backwards. Improve this and it will help us avoid the spammers in a very realistic way. It will encourage more technical striking and better timing utilization. An athletic backwards step that covers some distance please. Not a guy pulling his head back and then in a lazy gomy dancing type motion pulls his body backwards slowly and is unable to keep his hands up while doing so. Need to be able to keep your hands up here as well.



  • EA_Blueberry
    4770 posts EA Community Manager
    Thanks, @mp2232!

    Do you think the combo for the hook works well against striking spammers? (Duck and then hook them). The comb is listed under the offline tutorials.
  • mp2232
    37 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    Not really, if I run into an uppercut it’s over. Any move that could put you in harms way of a punch is inferior to an athletic back step.

    In boxing and kickboxing we call it in-the-pocket or outside. Stay in-the-pocket or stay outside. In MMA they commonly refer to it as inside or kicking distance. Either way you dice it, the idea is forward movement and backwards movement are used most all of the time in striking. We don’t have good enough backwards movement ability in this game IMO.

    Fight against a guy who uses banshee Nick Diaz and throws 1-1-2 and 1-2 combos the entire first round. Your literally fighting on a merry-go-round trying to keep away and trying to turn him around every time your back hits the cage.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.