EA Forums - Banner

Moving Backwards & Using Knee Spam Represents 70% of UFC4 players. Do you Agree?

Deeznutz32211
97 posts Member
edited June 6
I fought a Whitaker player who i despised, he did most of the things i complain about, constantly moving backwards + knee spam. The only thing he didn't do was clinch spamming but I'm sure that will come in time, I'm almost sure it's too late to patch these types of players out of ufc4 or maybe the devs don't feel like it's a problem, but i can tell you i purchased the ufc 2, 3 and 4 without reading any reviews or playing any demos and after playing 4 i can honestly say i might not even purchase 5, definitely not on launch, probably not within the first 3+ months

Post edited by EA_Blueberry on

Replies

• Knee spam and running is all anyone does
  • HeadshotxStriker
    65 posts Member
    edited May 31
    Movement backwards should be slowed down, it does get annoying to chase people around for them just to try and counter punch or knee you when you close the distance... or just nerf the damage from strikes when moving backwards, very few fighters can land hard strike while moving backwards.
  • Movement backwards should be slowed down, it does get annoying to chase people around for them just to try and counter punch or knee you when you close the distance... or just nerf the damage from strikes when moving backwards, very few fighters can land hard strike while moving backwards.

It's crazy i have fights where i realize I've been chasing and getting countered and/or kneed so I'll stop walking and my opponent will walk all the way across the cage and literally wait on me to come to them and if i don't they'll start taunting until i do, it's wild because it's so many ppl that do it, it's almost expected at this point.
  • ReRis940
    1 posts New member
    > @Deeznutz32211 said:
    > It's crazy i have fights where i realize I've been chasing and getting countered and/or kneed so I'll stop walking and my opponent will walk all the way across the cage and literally wait on me to come to them and if i don't they'll start taunting until i do, it's wild because it's so many ppl that do it, it's almost expected at this point.

Man I totally agree. Glad I'm not the only one who noticed this cancer of a play style. Generally I can trick them gradually into being the aggressor. Some players are just so spammy they're not worth the time.
  • Man i love ufc/mma but i really hate this game

• EA_Blueberry
    4798 posts EA Community Manager
    @Deeznutz32211

I know you play at a higher level, but from my gaming experience I feel like this common across all games. You'll see certain strategies used by a broader base of the community because they are easy "go-to" plays that work against most players. Every once and a while, you'll get stopped because the other player knows how to counter the cheese. I'm going to edit the title to help improve some visibility around this argument to see if we can gather other's opinions in here on whether this is an outlining issue.

Thank you for sharing and always nice to see the concern you have still ended up in a victory. :)
  • @Deeznutz32211

I know you play at a higher level, but from my gaming experience I feel like this common across all games. You'll see certain strategies used by a broader base of the community because they are easy "go-to" plays that work against most players. Every once and a while, you'll get stopped because the other player knows how to counter the cheese. I'm going to edit the title to help improve some visibility around this argument to see if we can gather other's opinions in here on whether this is an outlining issue.

Thank you for sharing and always nice to see the concern you have still ended up in a victory. :)

Thanks for reading my post! its just frustrating when you know the guy you're fighting should be out of there in the 1st round but you're now in the 3rd because they won't engage, the block is increasingly difficult to break and body punches are near impossible to connect with while your opponent is moving backwards. The movement in ufc3 was slower so you couldn't just walk away and be safe, i guess i could just go back to ufc3 but honestly I've forgotten how to play. And lol ive taken losses but it's normally to really good guys, i guess i get more irritated winning by the skin of my teeth to cheesers
  • Moving Backwards & Using Knee Spam Represents 70% of UFC4 players. Do you Agree?

I have to agree.

Getting too many guys running backwards the whole fight and wait for you to strike first so they can get the knee in. Loads of guys will not engage and simply taunt you till you close the distance so they can cheese.

Maybe the referee could call the fighters closer if there's no action and/or give warning / point deduction for not wanting to fight.

I do think that if backwards movement is slowed down, it should solve 70% of this running backwards tactic and force the fighters to engage more.

Maybe the knee issue could be solved by adding a delay in between knees, if spammed. (Look, I love to use the knee, but some are spamming 2 to 4 knees in a row...)

• EA_Blueberry
    4798 posts EA Community Manager
    When you see a fighter moving backwards do you mirror their actions by moving backwards yourself? That way you get them to be a little more aggressive by baiting them into what you want them to do.

What are your best counters against players moving backwards to knee?
  • Deeznutz32211
    97 posts Member
    edited June 7
    When you see a fighter moving backwards do you mirror their actions by moving backwards yourself? That way you get them to be a little more aggressive by baiting them into what you want them to do.

What are your best counters against players moving backwards to knee?

Yes I've done it before where I'd go all the way to other side of the cage like they do, sometimes they'll move forward to be but more often they stand in the middle, wait for me to move forward and then retreat or they'll stay on the other side of the ring and taunt me. The buffed block makes fights take so much longer now and you can maybe get a 2 punch max body combo on a retreating fighter but when i see they're just not going to engage unless i start it, i spam leg kicks. the thing about a fighter who's constantly retreating is they get you used to chasing and forward moving punches are slower and weaker than ones you throw while your feet are planted, so as I'm moving in with say a jab/hook they can plant their feet and intercept me with a combo and just move away and do it again. I've gotten better at timing their combos for a counter but honestly it feels like if i don't counter the 1st strike in their combo my counter is either going to get intercepted by the next punch in their combo or more likely they'll be out of range before i can get my shot off

Post edited by Deeznutz32211 on
  • @Deeznutz32211 @EA_Blueberry

Oh this one is going to be fun.

See, I'm guilty as charged, except for the knee spamming part: I try and keep the distance as much as possible. And I use counterstriking, preferentially.

Aside the fact that I love technical striking instead of spamfests, I had to develop a counterstrategy for all the spammers out there: in my experience, most matchups (especially in the lower levels, it tends to not be so bad beyond div.15) consist of the other player coming in and spamming endless punch combos, or worse, knee-elbow combos - especially if they pick a power striker like say Yan, Conor, or Usman. Since there's basically no stamina depletion for throwing these combos over and over, they can do so for the whole match without drawbacks.

So what can one do? Keep the distance, counter, take 'em down. It's really the only options going into these kind of matchups, unless you decide to only use powerstrikers as well and to have a spamfest.

Once again, this whole mess wouldn't even be an issue if EA decided to use a realistic concept of stamina (you're going to spam? Ok, I can weather the storm, burn yourself out in the first round, then let's talk).
    But they decided this game is meant for button mashers and are not going to fix this issue, so there you go, this is what you have.

• @Deeznutz32211 @EA_Blueberry

See, I'm guilty as charged, except for the knee spamming part: I try and keep the distance as much as possible. And I use counterstriking, preferentially.

Aside the fact that I love technical striking instead of spamfests, I had to develop a counterstrategy for all the spammers out there: in my experience, most matchups (especially in the lower levels, it tends to not be so bad beyond div.15) consist of the other player coming in and spamming endless punch combos, or worse, knee-elbow combos - especially if they pick a power striker like say Yan, Conor, or Usman. Since there's basically no stamina depletion for throwing these combos over and over, they can do so for the whole match without drawbacks.

So what can one do? Keep the distance, counter, take 'em down. It's really the only options going into these kind of matchups, unless you decide to only use powerstrikers as well and to have a spamfest.

Once again, this whole mess wouldn't even be an issue if EA decided to use a realistic concept of stamina (you're going to spam? Ok, I can weather the storm, burn yourself out in the first round, then let's talk).
    But they decided this game is meant for button mashers and are not going to fix this issue, so there you go, this is what you have.
    @Deeznutz32211 @EA_Blueberry

You're 100 in the right imo, when I'm playing a guy who is using push kicks, sways, takedowns etc to keep distance 8 have no issue with taking an L or trying to figure them out, but the issue to me is how stamina dosent effect movement speed, they'll blow their stamina and then walk off like nothing happened and the fact that you walk backwards just as fast as you walk forwards but you slow down significantly after the second punch in a combo so it makes it hard to push the fight if your opponent dosent want to
  • Joshdeez55
    1 posts New member
    The game is just broken and it seems like the devs dont care and just try to do as little work to it as possible. Ground game has been broken since release. The strike movement is ridiculous you cant punch as hard moving back and people just refuse to engage. Literally have had matches where we stand across the cage for half the fight and no one does anything at all. It's been a year and I feel like the game is even worse now. I've bought every ufc game they have made on release date but after this monstrosity of a game I doubt I'll ever get another.
  • Joshdeez55 wrote: »
    The game is just broken and it seems like the devs dont care and just try to do as little work to it as possible. Ground game has been broken since release. The strike movement is ridiculous you cant punch as hard moving back and people just refuse to engage. Literally have had matches where we stand across the cage for half the fight and no one does anything at all. It's been a year and I feel like the game is even worse now. I've bought every ufc game they have made on release date but after this monstrosity of a game I doubt I'll ever get another.

Unfortunately the issue seems to be instead of addresses the things the player base wanted addressed they left several things undone and just tried to patch over it creating a mess of a broken system. Whoever decided the judging, stamina and grapple advantage need fired. Also the cosmetics are uncalled for and ungodly. They don't that to any other sport why us? Save the weird outfits for knockout city.