Forum Discussion

SirJuggeth
Seasoned Newcomer
3 days ago

You can have 1, but you can't have both

There are 2 things that you need to see while playing this game...

Your player, and the puck.

You can choose to see one of them, but you can't choose both. 

Am I the only one who has a problem with this?

When playing CHEL, it's the worst. While I'm trailing behind the play I get to follow anything offscreen with a few arrows I can barely see. 

Good times 👍 

Let's have an option where the focus is inclusive of both the player and the puck, rather than centering the view on either, or. 

• Try holding the camera angle swap button for a couple seconds. That gives you a nice “in between” view. You have to this every game though, as it doesn’t save. 

hiperay
    Rising Rookie

Learn to toggle the back button (camera switch) to constantly switch between the puck when you are not in possession . I don't even have half of an idea on how you would fix something like this without it looking very weird on screen.  The changing of the score clock location should make it easier to see the arrows though at the bottom. Just as a reminder that if you are having a problem, check your camera choice for online. I play at overhead to make sure I can see almost everything that is going on at all times. That said, I am still pressing the camera switch button (as a defenseman) constantly. If you are having trouble just go into the quickplay 3v3 or pro-am and practice switching every time the puck changes possession. Might help you get the muscle memory down. 😁

SirJuggeth
      Seasoned Newcomer

The simple fix would be to not centre the screen on either the player or the puck, but allow the player to be at the top or bottom of the screen and the puck be at the opposite side.

The switch camera option should still be available, choosing what the camera would have it's dominant focus on either, while still trying to keep the other in view. But if they get too far apart, and the auto zoom won't adjust to keep both in view, the dominant focus would keep the selected on screen.

Having to press the camera switch button repeatedly so that the screen is viewing what you need to see is a symptom of the bigger problem.

We shouldn't have to choose a view higher from the ice in order to see the puck and your player at the same time. When your player is centered on screen a lot of the screen is showing you stuff, usually behind your player, that is of no use.

EA_Aljo
        Icon for Community Manager rankCommunity Manager

Of course a higher up camera is going to take in a wider view. I play defense so Zone works very well with keeping both puck and player on-screen. I know this isn't preferred for all though. Especially forwards so they need to use one that's closer in. I can see how it's more difficult to keep the puck and player on-screen. That would certainly get frustrating. Thanks for the feedback.

• I used to be a Zone and Classic camera kinda guy but ever since launch I have noticed a huge QoL change using Overhead.

As others have mentioned, you can click the touchpad certain ways to change your "focus" as well; Unless you come across a team leans heavily on dumping the puck, you shouldn't need to use this too much.

EA_Aljo
    Icon for Community Manager rankCommunity Manager

As Socair mentioned, you can hold down the camera switch button to get a view that keeps both your player and the puck on screen. This is the first thing I do when I load into a game. Unfortunately, that setting doesn't get saved so you have to manually set it for each game.

NeonSkyline21
      Seasoned Rookie

What the heck?! I've been playing these games online since NHL12 and never knew about this feature. Where was this communicated in the game? Is it in the controller settings? I'd been toggling back and forth between "puck focus" and "player focus" this entire time... 

• OP: I highly recommend using the "overhead" camera for ANY online game modes. You might be able to get away with Dynamic High or Classic for 1v1 modes like OVP or HUT but I find that I see the ice way better when using Overhead.