Forum Discussion

qbz49j8um3rf
New Rookie
5 days ago

You think we'll ever get the changes we actually ask for?

This game has been the same for nearly a decade, even the change to a "new engine" was a straight up port, bugs and all. Every single year we ask for things like GM connected, PC, career with the minors like we used to, etc. and every single year we get the same answer:

"We're listening an we hear you. Hopefully it'll be in an upcoming game." 

The problem is that it never is. All we get are things no-one asked for like this strange Finals-like presentation and stores that don't work. Even the "new stats" that were introduced MANY years ago have never, ever worked in Chel. Every cycle it's a few tweaks and "features" added to the same old wheezing monstrosity for AAA prices. 

We're never going to get any meaningful changes until this decade old monstrosity they keep adding onto every year is ditched and we get a new, thoughtful hockey game with actual attention paid to it. Miss a cycle. Miss three, I don't care. 

NYR224
    Seasoned Scout

I totally get where you're coming from. It feels like year after year, we keep asking for meaningful changes—things like GM Connected, career modes with minors, and PC releases—but instead, we get the same old recycled game with small tweaks and features nobody really asked for. I think a lot of us are frustrated by the constant we hear you from EA, but with no real follow-through. It’s like they’re stuck on this old engine, just adding small things and hoping we won't notice that the core issues never get addressed.

At this point, I honestly wouldn't mind if they took a year off to really focus on rebuilding the game from the ground up. It’d be worth the wait for a hockey game that actually feels fresh and gives us the changes we’ve been asking for. Until then, we’re probably going to keep seeing the same cycle. Pretty disappointing. I think a lot of us are frustrated by the constant "we hear you" from EA, but with no real follow-through. It’s like they’re stuck on this old engine, just adding small things and hoping we won't notice that the core issues never get addressed.

• I've been chatting on these forums about this game since NHL12 came out. I've gone through periods of being SUPER into it and not playing it at all some years. There has rarely been a dramatic change to QoL, bug fixes, or modes outside a couple of iterations of the game. 

The fact that Be a Pro is STILL using the SAME campaign cutscenes, and STILL has the SAME XP bugs (my guy in 24 couldn't progress important stats like acceleration, agility, and others once they got to 90... completely killed the mode for me).

It is extremely disheartening that they axed GM Connected and never thought to bring back even a SIMPLIFIED version of it.

Sadly, they haven't given AI goaltending the tender love and care that is so severely needed. Soft, unscreened wrist shots going in right after the player enters the zone and shoots it far-side? Let alone if the shot is taken within the last 10 seconds of a period. 

Maybe even more egregious is the freakin PLAYER CUSTOMIZATION for EASHL/WoC being so incredibly bare-bones - using the same faces we've had in the game since NHL14 at least! Such a small number of hairstyles, eyebrow styles, etc. Why not give us actual sliders for our players' faces and features? 

qbz49j8um3rf
      New Rookie

Going on a decade and every goalie's helmet in Chel is still blank white and they can't seem to be able for the life of them to program something for that. 

Thank God we got werewolves and robots or whatever though. That's REAL hockey.

NeonSkyline21
        Seasoned Rookie

Wait is this for real? I thought goalies could change their helmet colors in EASHL, couldn't they? Or is that just a club-wide setting? 

Are you telling me that goalies can't pick which helmet they use for drop-in games from a list of designs/colors? Something that would both satisfy goalies and also provide EA with another way to monetize their players? 

I am in disbelief... 

• Just for the fact they had even brought it up last year in an interview hints  they are cooking something up in the Online Franchise department in my opinion.  Hell Franchise offline this year is getting some work done it it too.  To me they go hand in hand.   It's also not something that should be rushed.   People sure want GM Connected back so badly but back then it wasn't a highly played mode among the community and it had lots of problems.   It's best to get things correct the 1st time for people to enjoy a return of the mode.

As I've said for PC well with a new Nintendo Switch coming out there is potentially more powerful and it has a huge playerbase too maybe they making a version of NHL.  Also now come November there will be the PS5 Pro which is 1 more system they will have to maintain the game working on.   Getting things to work properly on PC with all the configurations is easier said than done.   I would suggest you look up the issues people have with Madden and FC on PC this season and see if it's smooth sailing or not.  And they got much much bigger teams and funds to work with.

Licensing isn't cheap so skipping years isn't gonna magically make the game better.  If anything they would probably cut back staff.  Also I can't see the community wanting to play NHL 24 for 2 years without changes.  Then we talk about HUT and how it would need to be completely wiped for the off-cycle year.

And yes it's a known fact t hey don't talk about future content because it can get them in trouble.  So we will always be left in the dark.  Only thing you can really do is give good constructive feedback/ideas and let us pass along the information.   After that it's up to them to decide how they shape the future of the game.

qbz49j8um3rf
      New Rookie

It doesn't take a decade to roll out a new feature.

KlariskraysNHL
        Hero

That is you assuming it's becoming a feature.  Like since I saw that interview about GM Connected I'd assume it didn't start getting worked on til recently if at all judging from the video.  As far as presentation goes they might be wanting to add their own presentation over a more authentic presentation.  Whatever we see in videos/blogs is what we have to go on is coming to the game in 25.

NYR224
      Seasoned Scout

You make some great points. I definitely agree that GM Connected, if it does make a return, needs to be done right. It’s easy to forget that the original mode had its fair share of issues, and bringing it back rushed wouldn’t help anyone. Taking the time to do it properly will hopefully ensure a smooth experience.

As for PC, I can see why it’s a challenge. With all the configuration issues Madden and FC are facing, it makes sense that NHL wouldn’t want to launch on PC until it’s ready. Plus, with the new Switch and PS5 Pro, they’ve got a lot of platforms to consider.

I think you're right about skipping years too. While it sounds good in theory to take a break and come back with a bigger overhaul, the reality is that licensing and development costs wouldn’t make it feasible without scaling back in other areas, which could hurt the game even more. As frustrating as it is, it looks like all we can do is keep giving feedback and hope the changes we really want make it into the game eventually.

cogsx86
    Seasoned Novice

GM is great in theory, but no one plays it. The leagues dont finish. 

The game has significant upgrades every year. Animations, gameplay, skating, hitting, new game modes, new goalie animations. The game every year has roughly the same amount of updates and gets better every single year. " If you dont think the game has improved go play 20 or 19 or 16 when the jump for the new consoles occurred. 
    Ive been coming to the forum since before 2008 and these exact threads are started. 

BE a PRO bugs or CHEL STAT bugs? Everyday EA watches the forums were they made aware of that? 

You can play NHL on the cloud on your PC. ping is great. 

To me this thread is a me me post. Every other week we get posts like this. Hockey is hockey, you dont need GM connected to make it better. All that will happen is the league will be filled with three quarter AI teams, scheduling to play other players will be a pain and the leagues just wont work. 

like omg "Why not give us actual sliders for our players' faces and features? "

this has absolutely nothing to do with GAME PLAY, 

The players could look like blades of steel players with the same gameplay we have today, who cares hockey is hockey. 

Hester147
      Seasoned Rookie

You need to look into why the leagues didn't finish. Once you played a season or two, you got tired of the absurdly long simulation times, and bugs. There are many connected franchise leagues across the other ea titles that are thriving in its current modern state. 

NeonSkyline21
      Seasoned Rookie

I've been posting on these forums since NHL12's heydey and I have to say, your reply is pretty unfathomable to me. 

Perhaps the MOST UNFATHOMABLE thing you said was: "Hockey is hockey, you don't need GM Connected to make it better." I don't understand your point with this. It's quite clear that some subset of the player base wants an online franchise mode so that they can, ya know, play franchise mode with their friends/other people. The thing you're failing to grasp is that the NHL series'  "gameplay" isn't only about what happens on the ice. "Gameplay" also includes managing your lines, making trades, drafting players, etc. If we follow your logic, then EA shouldn't offer anything other than offline 1v1 play. Hockey is hockey, right? You don't need to play against other players. Thank the lord the devs don't have your mentality otherwise, we would have never gotten EASHL, Be a Pro, etc in the first place. 

Another quote from you: "BE a PRO bugs or CHEL STAT bugs? Every day EA watches the forums were they made aware of that?" The answer: Yes. Yes, they were. They either didn't think it was worth it to debug these issues or they couldn't. What's your point? 

To argue that the game gets "significant upgrades" every year is wild. It's a subjective thing, sure, but what were the significant upgrades to NHL23 that we got in NHL24? The "pressure system?" The feature that was severely undercooked for months and had to be severely nerfed to make fans happy? Wow. What a "significant upgrade." 

The last thing I'll say is that you made a strawman argument about "going back to NHL16 if you don't think the game has improved." No one is arguing that the game hasn't changed over 8 years lol. Also, a lot of people feel like the game was better during the NHL20 iteration. So there's that, too. 

I get that you're happy with the bare minimum. That's great. Others see the potential that this series has and just wish it would reach at least a small part of that potential. 

admiral745
        Seasoned Traveler

Trading to make tweaks to my team and accrue draft pick sis actually one of my favourite parts of the Franchise experience. I love wheeling and dealing, seeing what I can get to improve my team. My trade deadline, I actually do the trades a couple "days" before the deadline so I don't feel rushed during the trade deadline date. After that the season is boring until playoffs, as I hate having to wait to do more trading, lol. We all have our things we enjoy about it. If a player doesn't seem to mesh well, I don't hesitate to ship them out.

admiral745
    Seasoned Traveler

Personally, I would not use GM connected. But I am hoping that the promised changes to Franchise Mode will actually be revealed this week, as they are supposed to. I also hope that many of the Franchise Mode changes will involve storyline and making it more engrossing, instead of the same every playthrough. It would be great if those same changes were rolled out onto BAP mode. If the info dropped this week is in line with the many things I have seen requested with Franchise and BAP modes, then there will be a lot of happy people with that. If the changes are only minor and inconsequential changes, then we are going to see a lot of angry posts on this forum over the next couple of months. On that note though, no matter what they do, they will not please everyone. Some will hate the changes, others will like them, that is simply the nature of any industry.

NeonSkyline21
      Seasoned Rookie

I wouldn't get your hopes up. I feel like it'd be wise to set your expectations per the work EA has put into the game over the past 5 years. I could see them maybe fulfilling one or two of the requests that the community has made regarding Franchise mode. 

admiral745
        Seasoned Traveler

Oh my expectations are pretty low, considering previous years

Hester147
    Seasoned Rookie

Probably not, a majority of the community requested changes or additions don't have ways to montize them further. Be a pro, gm connected, etc etc, unless if the changes being requested are specifically aimed at hut , then it's unlikely to get serious consideration. It's just the way the franchise have moved over the last decade, it's sad, but it is what it is