Forum Discussion

10 years ago

Do you have a backstory to your Springfield?

I don't know if I'd call it a "back story," but somewhere down the line I noticed my Springfield was starting to look somewhat like the city I live in. :P Like, I put Hibbert's office right across the street from my elementary school, which is exactly where my doctor is in real life. :P
  • izabellatrix wrote:
    I don't know if I'd call it a "back story," but somewhere down the line I noticed my Springfield was starting to look somewhat like the city I live in. :P Like, I put Hibbert's office right across the street from my elementary school, which is exactly where my doctor is in real life. :P

Thats a really interesting idea. :-)
  • izabellatrix wrote:

I've done a few things like that. I surrounded the elementary school playground with the squidport fences, because they look like the fences around my elementary school. I put a plum tree by the stonecutters day care center because my day care had plums growing next to it. I put the gilded truffle by the mountains because a lot of fancy restaurants here are in the mountains. Libraries here also tend to have parks attached to them, so my library is in my park.
  • I've drawn from my own life as well, and like most people I've tried to tell visual jokes. I discovered I have no talent for it; I guess I'll never be a boardwalk caricaturist.

Lately, I've been trying to arrange buildings in simple geometric shapes. I have shops, for instance, arranged in an X, not because the letter has any significance for me or even because I expect anyone to notice what I did. My hope is that is that those simple patterns will be compelling, perhaps especially if they're not noticed. Also, maybe starting with an abstract form will force me to come up with something I wouldn't ordinarily. I'm not good at it, but it keeps me interested when I do my Sunday redesigns.
  • I don't necessarily have a backstory to my entire Springfield, but I have done several areas based on certain themes. I've done my town square area to look something like the town square from the Back to the Future movies, and also put Frink's Lab, the Mall, and the Krusty Burger nearby in homage to the town as displayed in the movie. Frink's Lab is next to a river (Doc Brown lived on Riverside Drive) and I've got a Jet Engine Bike there with as many burning bushes as I have trailing behind it.

I also have a few small areas that mirror either the town I currently live in or the one I grew up in...mainly involving which buildings I've placed next to one another (example: Aztec Theater next to Coffee Shop although this also inadvertently is the same as the arrangement of the buildings in the splash screen).

Finally, the Valentine's event challenged us to spell out curse words with rose bushes...I've done it with buildings in one particular area in a certain way. It's funny to me at least! :)
  • neuroheart wrote:
    izabellatrix wrote:

I've done a few things like that. I surrounded the elementary school playground with the squidport fences, because they look like the fences around my elementary school. I put a plum tree by the stonecutters day care center because my day care had plums growing next to it. I put the gilded truffle by the mountains because a lot of fancy restaurants here are in the mountains. Libraries here also tend to have parks attached to them, so my library is in my park.

I really like that. :)

Does anybody else also have a house in their town that they think of as "theirs"? I have one that's based on my old house, and one that I made for my mom.
  • teo47 wrote:
    I don't necessarily have a backstory to my entire Springfield, but I have done several areas based on certain themes. I've done my town square area to look something like the town square from the Back to the Future movies, and also put Frink's Lab, the Mall, and the Krusty Burger nearby in homage to the town as displayed in the movie. Frink's Lab is next to a river (Doc Brown lived on Riverside Drive) and I've got a Jet Engine Bike there with as many burning bushes as I have trailing behind it.

I also have a few small areas that mirror either the town I currently live in or the one I grew up in...mainly involving which buildings I've placed next to one another (example: Aztec Theater next to Coffee Shop although this also inadvertently is the same as the arrangement of the buildings in the splash screen).

Finally, the Valentine's event challenged us to spell out curse words with rose bushes...I've done it with buildings in one particular area in a certain way. It's funny to me at least! :)

Your town is modeled after Hill Valley?! Pics please!
  • I just basically tried to make my Springfield as accurate as possible. And other things I've spent time landscaping has a back story behind my placement decisions. Feel free to add me and imagine it without all the white and orange houses. Lol I'm still house farming, but most stuff is where I want it. Lol
  • I had been building rather haphazardly, and that resulted in a few nice places and a ton of crappy spaces. Lately I've just been building in blocks, grouping things as I see they fit.

Now at least it looks sort of planned (if very unfinished). Plus it makes it easier to go up and down the rows when collecting stuff so I don't miss anything. At least I'm not feeling the land crunch yet.
  • I build mine based on what I'd think a town might have, some things resemble places I've seen around my city, but I'm going to redesign in a few days, so it might change. One thing close to Norwich I've done is the high school. The high school I go to has 2 MUGAs nest to each other then a field behind. Springfield High School in my town has 2 netball courts, but I had to get rid of the field a while ago due to land restrictions. I might base some more of my town around Norwich when I reorganise.
  • No real back story. I just like my town to be as symmetrical as possible :mrgreen: