Forum Discussion

9 years ago

Larsyuipo's Town Updates

Seems interesting.
  • Update:

Started working on the map.

I took some pieces of paper out of my math notebook. I put them together and created this map. 1 small square (1*1cm) is road, pavement and river size. The big square (4*4cm) is a land expansion.

As you can see I've already drawn something. I've draw the outline for my Forrest area. You can see 2 roads as I'm making it like a hill.
    Here is an example:

Ive also put in the Springfield sign, even if I have yet to get it. I really want to get it, but I'm waiting until I have spend my donuts in Halloween items.

Back to the map, I decided not to put the ocean and squidport in here as its really simple to design that. Also I still have to put the beach area on the map.

So thats it for today. Will be back soon, once I have more things done.
  • Thats cool, my town is all over the place right now.

The mon-o-rail event really slowed everything down for me when I tried to build a track around my town. I've put everything from the last event away in inventory for now
  • Update:

Ugh I just can't figure out how to place things in my Forrest area. Idk why but whenever I start designing stuff I remove everything g and start over once again.

Any tips and ideas? I want to do something with a hill like I posted above but also want something g simple without it.
  • I think by using THAT map you are doing what's called "following the Springfield guide". I think that map is a well known piece of fan art that players like Bravewall are following, and its posted in the sticky at the top of SS section.

I think.

So if that's right, check their stuff maybe you get some inspiration? Several people do it here i think.

I been checking your progress when i visit, vs tap n' jet. Looks good so far...

Here's a tip: pick a building you like. Something easy to design. The Buddhist temple is a fun one, for example.

Build that and design it up pretty. Spend some time on only that, like you're coloring a page in a coloring book. Get it done so you are proud of it.

Once you have one successful design under your belt, it may be easier to create more. Sometimes it's hard to get the creative flow started. An easier project, like adding flowers or 3D to the temple may get you going.

If you want to see an example of where i did this in my own town, you can look at my mall. When it came out it was so puny i wanted to add stores to make it bigger. But couldn't get the layout right. So i built the highway, them imagined there's a KBurger on the corner, like many malls do. I made the KBurger really cute, with dumpster pen, drive thru lane, and playground. When it looked great finished, it was easier for me to imagine the rest of the parking lot, and the mall property suddenly got huge in my mind. I then added the home brew parking deck i borrowed from seeing in several neighbor towns. And it grew and grew. Now there's 2 more restaurants, a rail station, etc.

Give that method a shot: Focus on a tiny spot, embellish, and spread outward.

Good luck!