Forum Discussion

10 years ago

My Springfield in high res

this looks incredible. How did you go about stitching it all together? It came out really clean.
  • cdepast wrote:
    this looks incredible. How did you go about stitching it all together? It came out really clean.

Thank you!

I've been playing a long while (but quit playing for over a year, just got back to it) and I've regrouped my areas a couple of times. I have a whole bunch of old maps on this link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u1r52czgk2sst4x/AABnIpegPFLf5kGA2xpeCR48a?dl=0

My top tips are first of all to organize your town into different areas. Hillbilly mountain, industrial area, shopping avenue etc.

Also try to decide which buildings you want to give more space than others. Like my mansions in the north east or the sports arenas for instance. They get a lot more space than most buildings. When doing this also concider which buildings you actually want. I have a lot of buildings in my inventory that are too ugly or doesn't fit in nicely anywhere. "All night gym" will be next to go from my map...

If you can (and want to spend your time doing it) try to make big screenshots like mine. First time I did it I realized my town looked like crap and it was a lot easier to plan my town when I was fully zoomed out. To see the bigger picture, so to say. Doing this allows for sketches right on the map. Like crossing out areas and drawing lines to remind yourself to move buildings. If you can you should totally do it.

I'm not sure if it is noticeable to anybody else but to me the final touch is to use the smallest flower patches and shrubs on big grass areas to make them look less perfect. I think they blend in with the grass and look like random patches of weeds.
    Always rotate your decorations if you use many of the same so they don't like exact copies of each other.

Hope that helps :)
  • dadilydoo750 wrote:
    cdepast wrote:

Thank you!

I've been playing a long while (but quit playing for over a year, just got back to it) and I've regrouped my areas a couple of times. I have a whole bunch of old maps on this link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u1r52czgk2sst4x/AABnIpegPFLf5kGA2xpeCR48a?dl=0

My top tips are first of all to organize your town into different areas. Hillbilly mountain, industrial area, shopping avenue etc.

Also try to decide which buildings you want to give more space than others. Like my mansions in the north east or the sports arenas for instance. They get a lot more space than most buildings. When doing this also concider which buildings you actually want. I have a lot of buildings in my inventory that are too ugly or doesn't fit in nicely anywhere. "All night gym" will be next to go from my map...

If you can (and want to spend your time doing it) try to make big screenshots like mine. First time I did it I realized my town looked like crap and it was a lot easier to plan my town when I was fully zoomed out. To see the bigger picture, so to say. Doing this allows for sketches right on the map. Like crossing out areas and drawing lines to remind yourself to move buildings. If you can you should totally do it.

I'm not sure if it is noticeable to anybody else but to me the final touch is to use the smallest flower patches and shrubs on big grass areas to make them look less perfect. I think they blend in with the grass and look like random patches of weeds.
    Always rotate your decorations if you use many of the same so they don't like exact copies of each other.

I use small flowers and shrubs as well, normally in the spaces between trees. You're right, they sure make a difference, even if it's just to the creator.

When I make my panoramic soon (I don't have all the land as of yet) could you critique it? I'm sure a designer like you would be most helpful.
  • Upper90Ninja wrote:
    dadilydoo750 wrote:
    cdepast wrote:

Thank you!

I use small flowers and shrubs as well, normally in the spaces between trees. You're right, they sure make a difference, even if it's just to the creator.

When I make my panoramic soon (I don't have all the land as of yet) could you critique it? I'm sure a designer like you would be most helpful.

I'd love to! If I'm not here you can find me on Reddit as dadilydoo :)
  • http://i.imgur.com/CfD4Dlw.jpg

Town is updated with a lot of stuff, including this completely new area:

http://i.imgur.com/IHkbbxi.jpg
  • Town has seen a major update with the opera stage added (will be extended in the future), Squidport has gotten a lot longer and a whole new area in the east.

Link is in my signature :)