Forum Discussion

Tobbish
Seasoned Novice
21 days ago

Custom roster makers out there

Not sure if we have any people here that like to make their own rosters? As one who does, I'm curious to what length you go to get them the way you want? I'm looking for ideas and inspiration for things I can possibly implement in mine.

Last year (and this too unless changes have been made) I settled for a start of regular season roster. I waited for every team to play a game and then started from the first EA roster released after that, and then start my editing.

I'm no expert in all players, so I generally check Offensive and Defensive awareness of Jfresh's player cards and come up with a way for a somewhat fair system to determine the skill.

I also edit a loooot of player types. Add a few who are at least close to an enforcer, but mostly I make the low skilled TWF/TWD into something more accurate (mostly grinders, but when in doubt I check scouting reports).

I also google for players with special skills, that are fast, shoot hard, great on pk and stuff, to give those players that little extra love that might get lost because they're not star players. That includes handing out some fitting X-factors too.

I usually look at blocked shots, hits and faceoffs too, to see who are the standouts in the league and give them a well deserved boost.

Hmm, I also edit salaries to make teams cap compliant, to avoid the adjusted salaries (when teams are over or under the cap/floor).

I wish I could do even more, and that is why I'm curious if anyone does something similar? If it's not obvious, my goal is to make my roster as accurate to the real thing as possible.

MV75
    Seasoned Novice

I release a KHL roster that I share, each year. NHL 25 will be my fourth game in a row that I do the roster.
    And I really try to make it a good one, all the KHL teams and lots of extra clubs connected to the History of KHL.

For the players I try to make them look like their real faces, I analyze all the their stats for last season and also take a look in their history to make the attributes, potential and the OV. There is some good stats to see how often they shoots in a game to make the shoot/pass tendency and see how good their faceoffs stats was last season etc....

For the goalies I try to find their latest or some gears that they have used, but sadly the amount of different goalie gears have not been great in the NHL games.

I also do their mascot as close to real life as possible.

Its really fun, but very very time consuming to have so much details in the making of a good roster.

admiral745
      Seasoned Scout

My wife laughs at how much time I spend tweaking rosters and salaries to make sure they are all accurate. Especially July 1st, free agency, I was going nuts trying to keep up. 

Tobbish
        Seasoned Novice

Haha, I get a similar treatment! My fiencée usually sees my Excel file, smiles and shakes her head a bit and call me 'buang' (means crazy in tagalog). 😅

admiral745
    Seasoned Scout

I like Vasy's rosters as he adds in all the prospects from around the world, which should be in the game anyway. I then edit it further to do my own version of expansion draft when creating a 33rd team. I also drop every player's durability by 5 so that they will actually get injured during the seasons. Since the way they have it, I rarely see players get injured unless I injure them, which is not realistic at all. 

• I'm just entering this realm. This year I started to make two leagues (19 teams then, it'll be 20 when NHL 25 comes out) that I watch here in Britain. They're the third and fourth tiers of ice hockey here. I know several players around the league, and so they themselves download it and play as themselves against their actual opponents.

I didn't get to finishing them all last year, but if you search "NIHL" you'll be able to find it.

My configuration for them, as you do, is mainly stats-based. A player has a lot of assists? I'll put them as a playmaker. A player has more than 100 PIMs? I'll put them as a grinder/enforcer. My issue normally comes with the fact not all players have photos, and information can actually be quite hard to come by, even with EliteProspects.

My teams are as stupidly accurate as I can get them. Picky down to the seat colours and the stripes of the jersey. However, while I will try and cater to facial hair or unique hair, or a goalie's pads, I don't focus too much on my players because it would take far too long. A roster of about 25 across 20 teams is 500 players... no thanks. I don't have the time or patience to deal with EA's exorbitantly slow and long winded way of doing things. I'm a sucker for just holding the right arrow on the OVR page and having done.