Forum Discussion

EA_Aljo
Icon for Community Manager rankCommunity Manager
21 days ago

Gameplay Deep Dive Postponed

We will be postponing the release of the Gameplay Deep Dive until a later date. Our thoughts are with the Gaudreau family at this difficult time.

Lehockeyyy
    Seasoned Newcomer

Logging into NHL 24 the memory notice about their passing was really beautiful

admiral745
      Seasoned Traveler

This would seem like one of those crass comments that show very little respect for a life lost. SummerOfDekes is correct that it would be weird to recognize 2 lives lost by promoting a product. We can be patient and wait until next week for information on a GAME

Bahamuta
      New Traveler

I think they were asking why they were delaying the video release. I understand being respectful of the family, but to be fair this video drop doesnt effect the family in any way, unless of course he was in it somewhere, then def the right move.

SummerOfDekes
        Rising Traveler

Because it's the respectful thing to do? Wouldn't be a good look to be like, "Our condolences are with the Geaudreau family in this difficult time. Remember to pre-order NHL 25!"

Just best to postpone the gameplay deep dive and let the Geaudreau news take center stage.

• I know it's very early, and I think the family should give approval regarding if it should be done or not, but can consideration be given to having Johnny Gaudreau on the cover for EA NHL? I know there have been similar ideas from the community over the years (Colby Cave for NHL 21 comes to mind), and while the loss of their lives are just as tragic, it's understandable that a 5 point 4th liner would not be a cover athlete. Gaudreau on the other hand, has proven to have been an elite player, with his peak being the 21-22 season with 115 points and setting franchise records. He was worthy of the cover then (compared to Auston Matthew's second appearance for the NHL 22 cover), and in retrospect, it probably would've been the best time.

I think the Hughes are elite players too that deserve to be on the cover, and hopefully will have many more great seasons to come, but Gaudreau has proved that he deserves a spot on the cover. It even fits well with the different US/Canada covers EA was planning (Columbus Blue Jackets for the US release, and Calgary Flames for the Canada release).

Again, I know this is very early, and I don't think any changes should be made rashly, especially without consideration or approval from the family, but at the very least I think it is worth of consideration. Condolences to the Gaudreau family and all the lives Johnny and Matthew touched. They will be dearly missed.

Lehockeyyy
      Seasoned Newcomer

I mean they lost both of their sons. I think approval for a video game would he the last thing the family would be concerned with

Logean93
        New Novice

Absolutely, they have so much going on, and again, it shouldn't be a rushed decision. Regardless if it's for NHL 25 or 26, I believe the family should have the final say about how they want him to be remembered.

admiral745
      Seasoned Traveler

I like the sentiment behind this idea. That being said, trying for this year's cover would be absurd, not enough time to put together the proper paperwork, dealing with legal issues and dealing with the family at a time when they want to focus on other things, as well as wasting all the effort involved in already having the well-deserving Hughes family on the cover. Next year, might be cool though, an In Memory Of Cover. 

Logean93
        New Novice

Yeah, I think next year might be better, as it would give the family more time to grieve, make a clear decision, and would make EA look less like they're capitalizing on the situation. I do fear that by next year this will be more in the back of the mind's of hockey fans next year compared to today, and that there'll be less requests for him to be on the cover, but maybe EA will really show a rare W if they decide to do it, even after a full year later. Who knows, with interviews pointing to GM Connected mode going to take a few years to build (and NHL 26 arriving around that same time), perhaps Gaudreau could be on the cover of one of the best EA NHLs games in recent years. 

• Any update about when the Gameplay Deep Dive has been postponed ? Any new date ?

hiperay
      Rising Rookie

Thursday September 5th now. The gameplay trailer is scheduled on youtube.