Forum Discussion

Jreemshot
New Novice
4 days ago

My Opinion on NHL 25. Top 100 ranked player iAINTgotYOmoney

Ok so to begin, this years edition of NHL is a vast improvement over last years game. So many things that were broken in ‘24 have been clearly worked on and refined. But because the game last year and the year before was so terrible, I’m definitely keeping the $70 in my pocket and running a couple trials until I see the things that are wrong with this game get improved. It’s not like there’s a point anymore with the world championship being scrapped.  

First off, the bread and butter to every player is the ability to put the puck in the back of the net when you’re alone. Any good player can do it and the top rank players never miss on breakaways. So it makes you play with defense in your mind whenever you have the puck offensively. But in this game, it is incredibly hard to score.  Which is fine and an actual improvement over last year when about half of my games lost, the other player had multiple lucky pucks rolling under the goalies legs. But the thing about it is, is that the breakaways are almost impossible to score on now. ButI see myself at the top of the zone scoring on top shelf snappers. Going in at a pretty high rate too.
That’s gotta get fixed. 
That’s because a lot of casual players just love to overload the goalie with a shot as soon as they step across the blue line. And then when I’m playing a good player that cannot make a pass against my defense in the zone it seems like they revert to that style too. That’s going to be even more maddening for people like me that hold the puck and torture the defense with crafty passes until I can go on a moonwalk with the goalie. No I’m not saying to jack it back to last year, but there needs to be an adjustment, especially with breakaways. 

Second off, why did you do anything to the energy levels? Energy was fine. You had to be smart about how much you sprint, don’t get blown up. And you should be in the green for the entire period. Now if I run the ice one time the player goes into red, and it is impossible to recover from. Get blown up you’re going into red. Recovery takes way too long To the point where I see myself softly icing the puck at least twice just to get my energy back without allowing them to get a chance. This is even worse when it comes to the computer players because they’re staying full green the entire period and just blowing past me In a little Ford focus. I even tried player locking with Nathan McLaren. It doesn’t work.
That’s gotta get fixed too. 

Like I said earlier, the game is actually pretty good overall and has a chance to be great with a few adjustments. But I’m not changing the way Ive played CHEL for the past 10 years. Even with last year‘s game being completely random at times I still was 900-150 in versus and threes online. I already know here’s no way I’m gonna be anywhere close to that this year. The only thing that I’ll be able to hang my hat on is with my team on WOC but we all feel the same way about this game. So I won’t be buying this one until these areas are improved, because while the weak goals sucked, and the ice tilt pisses you off. Bottom line is I still won most games in ‘24 just like I have since NHL 15.
And I’d rather win games. 
And if it stays this way this year EA is more than likely going to lose more good players this year than the past couple years because enough is enough. Were at the point that we are literally begging 2K to make an NHL game again. 
GO CATS!

MasterB89
    Rising Traveler

"Second off, why did you do anything to the energy levels? Energy was fine. You had to be smart about how much you sprint, don’t get blown up. And you should be in the green for the entire period. Now if I run the ice one time the player goes into red, and it is impossible to recover from. Get blown up you’re going into red. Recovery takes way too long To the point where I see myself softly icing the puck at least twice just to get my energy back without allowing them to get a chance. This is even worse when it comes to the computer players because they’re staying full green the entire period and just blowing past me In a little Ford focus. I even tried player locking with Nathan McLaren. It doesn’t work.
    That’s gotta get fixed too." 

Maybe I am not reading or understanding this correct but the Stamina levels for this game are actually a lot better overall then they were last year. You still have to be smart about the sprint but now there is a "price to pay" for you using it, meaning if you try to get past the dmen to grow around the net you would consume more energy then them which means you will be more tired/less stamina, giving them a chance to catch up and make a play for the puck.  So you need to make quick passes into the zone (which I know you mention on your passing). This removes the blow past the dman that happened last year offline and online and also, id guess players just skating around the net to try and build of the pressure system - which I know was an issue at some point. 

Also, if your player takes a big hit, in more of a realistic sense of it, that would knock the wind out of you, so your stamina level would be less then it was prior.

The difference I have seen when players talk about stamina is there is a large difference of how they are used online and offline (arcade to realistic), where I feel is where the real issues lie. For an offline only player, this is the closest it has felt to realistic as it can possible be, whereas NHL 24 and 23 felt very acrady and overly fast (no player should have full stamina for a period or more then a 45 sec - 1min shift (if basing it on a more realistic gameplay style). 

It's how do they find the balance between the 2 player bases. That is where the real issue is and I'd wish that there was a way for them to fix the online to have one playstyle and offline another but I can't see that ever being an option.

How can a middle ground be found where it still feels realistic but also arcade as well. 

** I did notice that breakaways on offline are harder to score this year then prior years as well, not sure how they could affect a chance on that without hindering the goalies on some level. 

Jreemshot
      New Novice

You make a good point, if we’re playing a normal versus game when I can change lines but I normally play Chel 6/3’s and Eliminator.  I thought it was fine last year. Yeah the speed was crazy but honestly, stamina wasn’t even a talking point.
      I played threes online and it was so bad I Deactivated my L3 button so I don’t accidentally sprint, avoided ALL hits and it still goes down to red off of light checks. I mean if I’m playing the arcade game modes I’m not expecting it to be realistic. 

I dont find any issue with it in versus. 

MasterB89
        Rising Traveler

Sadly, I don't think they can have a difference between the play styles related to stamina, which is the issue (if they change it, I'd guess it will affect normal versus and offline. I am not sure what can help it to please the online portion for 3's and 6's but not affect the overall slower gameplay that has been requested by some in the past. 

• I agree with you about the stamina draining too quickly and it being hard to score. I always played on superstar and have done for a long time.  I can still dominate the game but putting it in the net seems impossible. If I drop to all star I win about 50% of my games. Win or lose its only by one goal. 

Dropping a level gives me something to work towards. I'd rather that than win every game with ease. 

My passing and defending has been awful. I give way too many tripping penalties away as well.  At least this year I know most of my issues are my own doing, unlike 24.

Your last bit about wanting to win every game is total cringe mate. You have to earn it like the rest of us. Expecting EA to change a game so you can win all the time ain't going to happen bro . 

• I never said I want to win every game. Don’t put words in my mouth. I played hockey all the way through college and I’m good at the game so naturally, I want to win as a competitor. But The only way Im winning games is with cheap **bleep** wristers from the top of the zone or AKA glitch goals. It’s bad hockey and I’m not going to start playing that way. I’ll just play 24 instead.
    To be honest It’s not my fault theyve coded so much **bleep** in this game that it’s to the point where if they edit one thing it throws another aspect out of whack. Maybe if they stop scripting it would fix everything, but that’ll never happen because they profit off of it. EA would rather keep bad players in the game sprinkled with a win every now and then to give them hope so they’ll go buy another pack. It’s going to eventually kill the game.

Stubo_NHL24
      Rising Scout

If people are daft enough or that desperate for a win it makes them buy packs more fool them. I ended up with more 99 ovrs than I could put in a team on 24 and I didn't spend a penny. 

I wasn't putting words in your mouth, mate. I just repeated what you said in your OP. 

• Top player in clubs is casual in HUT so idk why you bring up rank there but the breakaways this year are just as easy if not easier than last NHL.  Fake a shot go left then finish with backhand is ridiculously easy. Stamina is dependent on the sliders you set up on strats. If you max the efficiency slider ur team losses stamina quickly which is probably a good thing so the AI is not being abused.

This from a 7x top 30 HUT champs player lol.

About NHL 25 General Discussion

Discuss the latest news and game information around NHL 25 in the community forums.542 PostsLatest Activity: 6 days ago