Forum Discussion

7 years ago

Story Progression!

I reinstalled Nraas story progression after having not had it in my game to make my town more lively, and I was curious as to what the benefits of it are? Should I install any of the add-ons? Do you actually notice a difference in the townies?

• Have you read the FAQ page? Scroll past the seventeen internal links to get to the actual readable part, but it does provide a very good overview of what the mod does and how.
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/StoryProgression+FAQ

And I wouldn't play without it and the six basic add-ons personally. The additional personality modules I don't find necessary, others do like them as well.
  • "igazor;c-16301640" wrote:
    Have you read the FAQ page? Scroll past the seventeen internal links to get to the actual readable part, but it does provide a very good overview of what the mod does and how.
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/StoryProgression+FAQ

And I wouldn't play without it and the six basic add-ons personally. The additional personality modules I don't find necessary, others do like them as well.

Thanks! Now, this doesn't make your game super laggy or anything, right? I guess I will install the add-ons as well. Wow, you sure know everything there is to know about the sims, igazor. :)
  • "Missa_Sissa;c-16301650" wrote:
    Thanks! Now, this doesn't make your game super laggy or anything, right? I guess I will install the add-ons as well. Wow, you sure know everything there is to know about the sims, igazor. :)

SP definitely adds to the overhead that the game has to cope with. Unlike other NRaas mods that are designed to enhance performance (Overwatch, ErrorTrap, Register, Traffic, GoHere, Traveler), SP mucks it all up by giving the game much more to manage than otherwise. Highly populated worlds, depending on how well they were designed and on the player's system, will show signs of the increased burdens placed on them. Some players will not see much of a difference on how well their games run. And some of the effects can be dialed back by slowing the overall speed of the mod down from SP > General Options and a few other such minor adjustments. But for many of us the benefits are far worth the added overhead.

And thanks for the kind words but no, I most certainly do not know everything there is to know about sims. Not sure any one person does, to be honest. But other players on this forum and at NRaas will be very quick to correct me when I get things wrong, as well they should. ;)
  • As mentioned already, some people find their computer can't handle this mod depending on specs. Easy to remove.. just delete the package file and clear cache. You can find the Interactions page + FAQs page for mods on the NRaas website. The interactions page will explain what each setting can do. On Windows you can do a quick page search with the command CTRL + F. Take your time reading through the Interactions page. It's not as scary as it appears but the FAQ page also has some suggestions for those without a clue. I suggest reading descriptions to see if you have any use for them.

Even though I have a gaming desktop, I prefer to set the speed to 'Slow'. The town doesn't advance too fast for my own personal preference.
    Here are the modules I use for NRaas: Story Progression. I don't install mods unless I intend to use them.

• Career
    • Extra
    • Money
    • Population
    • Relationship
    • Skill

I really like that I can make bills harder with the Money module. My sims often end up in debt taking out loans but that's how I like to play. >:) Another feature I enjoy (may require Population module), 'Chance of Bin Offspring'.
    Because of my settings, during immigration, SP will pull from the saved household bins to mix genetics. I have 5 households with 10 sims each totaling to 50 for genetic purposes. It took me way too long to set this up and I'm glad I did. No more pudding faces! (pudding=all sliders set to 0) Because of my settings, If there are not enough residents to take over roles then immigration sets in. This keeps the town population down because I personally don't like the game generating sims every time a role needs to be filled.

There are plenty of other uses I have for this mod + modules. It's really cool how much modders like Twallan (NRaas) have changed this game just by adding these extra features.
  • SP personalities, and other add on's do cause lag. To me it's worth sacrificing expansions/cc, to add SP.
    I don't think I'd like it as much if I was someone that focused on a single household/families/legacy.
  • I've been able to play like I've got TS2's story progression with the NRaas Mod version and that one dosen't kill off my games with teen pregnancy epidememics or glitchy transient migrant camps with the soap opera or other disasters.I also found it took the lag right out of my game though it wasn't anywhere near to being noticable.I play my entire towns like in Sim2 and can play them rotationally without worries that things will happen to inactives.It allows me to manage my town and to create my own types of stories in the town instead of having everything be the modern day suburbia soap opera.
  • "Missa_Sissa;c-16309396" wrote:
    Update: I uninstalled SP again because for some reason it made my romantic option disappear. I don't really mind I guess, I still play fine without it.

Should you wish to give this another try sometime in the future, perhaps in a new test game just to get used to the mod and its settings, support for the mods and their users is available at NRaas. It's kind of what we are there for. :)

http://nraas.wikispaces.com/page/messages/Chatterbox
    (free Wikispaces account and NRaas wiki membership required to post)
  • Update: I uninstalled SP again because for some reason it made my romantic option disappear. I don't really mind I guess, I still play fine without it.
  • It just means you got some settings mixed up as there's some in W-Mistake that shouldn't be changed or it makes romantic options vanish.I do link that Mod's settings to story progression though I can unlink it for user directed actions if I needed to.I've not had interactions gone unless I disallowed romance for a sim who was new in town and didn't know anybody well enough to start a romance.