Forum Discussion

11 years ago

Builder's Block

I sadly lull myself to sleep --- instead of counting sheep...
I'm thinking...
Where do I put the Clause Co?
Where do I put that Homer skyscraper-thingy.
Should I get rid of the Popsicle Tower?
Where is Josh?
  • Normally just looking around my neighbours towns inspire me. The showcase section of the forum have amazing ideas, just look at you town, and think what can I do to make this stand out,

What I use to do was, make a base (e.g cletus farm) then I would mildly decorate , then I would ask the forum guys n gals for help, and they would suggest things and I would change to the overall recommendation. And end up with an awesome looking design. Just hearing others opinion inspire me. If they say it looks like crap that's fine if they can say why it looks like crap, and they may suggest. "Try this..." So I would ask for advice when you get stuck on a design, so many talented people here you can still make unique designs without having to directly copying :mrgreen:
  • ink19810 wrote:
    I had trouble with o flanigans pub. it's odd shaped so you have to put it on an end or a corner

odd-shaped how?? :shock: It's only slightly rounded on 1 corner like nighthawk diner :?
  • While visiting your neighbors, take note of things that look really cool...then just use their idea...get a couple if neighbors who care about how their towns look & use the best parts of each of theirs & turn you town into kick * mix
  • kevfd wrote:
    ink19810 wrote:
    I had trouble with o flanigans pub. it's odd shaped so you have to put it on an end or a corner

odd-shaped how?? :shock: It's only slightly rounded on 1 corner like nighthawk diner :?

I found the Pub to be quite easy to build around as you could put a garden to the side / back of the building, but as for the Nighthawk diner no matter where i put that it never looks right :(
  • jenichu682 wrote:
    I was rolling right along with my redesign of my town (about 20 - 25% of the way done) and very happy with what I had accomplished. I recently finished up a very nice suburb to compliment a mid-sized park. However, since then, I have not been able to build or redesign anything that I like. In fact, most looked like crap and I keep having to start over.

My question is: What do you do to get those creative juices flowing or where to look for inspiration?

I know exactly what you mean. Not that it's for everyone, but I find that "hanging out with Otto" really helps kick that creativity into gear. You might spend 20 minutes trying to place a tree perfectly, and you might consume a whole bag of gummi worms while you're playing, but in the long run it really helps ;-)
  • Jedihntr wrote:
    jenichu682 wrote:
    I was rolling right along with my redesign of my town (about 20 - 25% of the way done) and very happy with what I had accomplished. I recently finished up a very nice suburb to compliment a mid-sized park. However, since then, I have not been able to build or redesign anything that I like. In fact, most looked like crap and I keep having to start over.

My question is: What do you do to get those creative juices flowing or where to look for inspiration?

I know exactly what you mean. Not that it's for everyone, but I find that "hanging out with Otto" really helps kick that creativity into gear. You might spend 20 minutes trying to place a tree perfectly, and you might consume a whole bag of gummi worms while you're playing, but in the long run it really helps ;-)

"Otto" and I parted ways over eight years ago; the same with "Barney". Hopefully, the Valentine's Day update will bring inspiration along with it. Until then, I'll keep browsing the showcase forum.
  • Look around real smallish towns. I am trying to make my Springfield a walkable place (since none of the residents ever drive - LOL). I look at the small towns around where I live for ideas.
  • I like what you've done so far, neighboreeno. As for myself, I just go along and look around neighbors towns or visit Springfield Showcase thread for inspiration. Most of the time, though, I just get something in my head and work with it. That may take several redesigns before I get what I'm after.
  • frogger53 wrote:
    I like what you've done so far, neighboreeno. As for myself, I just go along and look around neighbors towns or visit Springfield Showcase thread for inspiration. Most of the time, though, I just get something in my head and work with it. That may take several redesigns before I get what I'm after.

Thanks. I made a dining / entertaining strip mall today. It's nothing too fancy but looks pleasing to the eye. At least, I got the ball rolling again.
  • tilycoclem wrote:
    I sadly lull myself to sleep --- instead of counting sheep...
    I'm thinking...
    Where do I put the Clause Co?
    Where do I put that Homer skyscraper-thingy.
    Should I get rid of the Popsicle Tower?
    Where is Josh?

Me too!!!!!