Forum Discussion

6 years ago

Delete storage items!!!

I want to be able to delete the items in storage that I don’t use and can’t sell. The game takes a lot of memory on my phone and I am sure having thousands of items in storage that are not being used doesn’t help!!
  • "EllieGuseman;c-2046184" wrote:
    Having items in storage does not increase the size of your game on your phone. I want a searchable inventory instead.

A searchable inventory would be heavenly. o:)
  • "jtgroth;c-2046253" wrote:
    "Willy9292;c-2046230" wrote:
    "CindyVroman;c-2046188" wrote:
    How do you know that it doesn’t increase the size of the game on your phone? Your idea of searchable inventory is a good one.

Because inventory is a database and whether you have 0 or 1 million of the item it's just a number. There is a slot for each item and a quantity. Ps the message that it doesn't increase storage was from one of our most knowledgeable and helpful members. Like a few others, if @EllieGuseman says it is do, it is.
    This has been discussed for ages. I for one am not bothered by inventory. Many are. We appear to be stuck with it. :)

This.

The base unit of storage a computer is a byte. When you buy a 8 GB phone, that means that it has 8 billion bytes of storage. When you are writing a program and need to use a number you determine how big of a number you think you will need. Typically it's either 2 or 4 bytes (a 2 byte number can be between 0 - 65,535; a 4 byte number can be between 0 - 4,294,967,295; which is the maximum amount of in game case you can have showing that the game is using a 4 byte number to store how much money you have).

The database for item storage uses 2 different numbers for each different type of item you store. One number for the identifier of the item (for example, maybe the Brown House is identified by the number 10 and the Bonsai Tree by 826). The second number is the quantity of that item. Most like likely EA is using 2 byte numbers for each of these. Meaning that each type of item in your storage is taking up 4 bytes of your phone memory (If you have 1 or 1,000 Brown Houses in storage it only takes up 4 bytes for that). If you have 250 different items in your storage, it is only taking up 1,000 bytes. 500 hundred different items in your inventory? Only 2,000 bytes. That might sound like a lot, but it isn't (your phone has billions of bytes available for storage). This post alone takes up about 2,500 bytes. A picture from a phone's camera takes up between 2,000,000 and 8,000,000 bytes each (depending on the resolution of the camera).

So, the item storage isn't taking up a lot of space on your phone.

That said, I'm ok with not being able to get rid of items I can't replace. Never know when you might actually want them. However, we really need a better way of dealing with large collections of items in storage. Search would be great! But really anything that would let me locate items in my inventory quickly.

https://i.imgur.com/RwD8eyx.gif
  • Yes a trash can would be great but only if they provide a truck to haul it away never to return!! We must be able to empty the trash!!
  • How do you know that it doesn’t increase the size of the game on your phone? Your idea of searchable inventory is a good one.
  • I doubt they will ever let us delete stuff. If I remember right, we used to be able to way back at the beginning. When they started bringing free items back for donuts and gave it a bonus, players wanted their items back. It was a nightmare.

About The Simpsons Tapped Out General Discussion

Talk about your The Simpsons: Tapped Out experience with other TSTO players.49,373 PostsLatest Activity: 4 hours ago