Forum Discussion

11 years ago

Dollars for Donuts exchange

Imozone wrote:
I would love some of these premium items, but don't have the donuts to get them (and not keen on spending the money it would take to acquire them). I have plenty of the dollars, but can't earn any donuts, and have almost all the buildings that are not premium-based.
I propose they offer an exchange of (in game) dollars for donuts, say $5,000 per donut. The 150 donut buildings would be $750,000. This seems like a fair exchange. You do have the reverse available already.
Would love to add some of the premium items to my game without waiting another year to get enough to MAYBE get one...
Thanks

As much as I want this feature...it would have to be higher in order to not completely alienate the premium players.

I mean the price of donuts in in-game cash would have to be through the roof. $50-$100k per donut.

At $750,000 what would be the point of even having it be for donuts? It has to be so high that people will still pay real money for it so that they don't have to save up cash for 3 months in order to get that 1 item.
  • mwdalton wrote:
    I'll bet you dollars-to-donuts that'll never happen. :mrgreen:

heh heh heh

Nice idea, but what would be the incentive to become a Premium player if Freemiums got the same exclusive buildings and characters without spending cash? :roll:
  • I'm a freemium player and happy with the system as it is. I get lots of donuts from visiting neighbours and levelling up so can't complain. Yes it takes an age to save up for things and sometimes I get very frustrated when I haven't enough donuts for a limited item I really want (such as the up up and away :( ) but that is how the cookie crumbles. If people didn't pay for donuts I wouldn't be able to play for free.
  • Nine9Nines wrote:
    AJtheboss1 wrote:
    Maybe when this game is finally over, and they run out of things to add, they can bring back every item back! and add a money to donut transfer system so that people can have everything before this game actually gets trashed.

Would be a nice goodbye present haha :lol:

Haha, that's a fun thought. Makes you wonder how long the game can last. One of the beauties of mobile gaming is that developers can constantly update the game and allow it to continue seamlessly as newer technology releases. But how long can they keep people interested and continue to profit off of that interest? And the real key is, how long can they continue to add new customers?

At some point, they'll decide it's no longer in their best financial interests to continue paying developers to create new content. When that happens, the game can still continue to be profitable for a good deal of time, and that's generally what happens at the end of games like this. The updates stop (or slow down significantly), but the servers stay up. By that time, there's already plenty of content to keep newer players interested for awhile, even though long time players are slowly dying out. When that final revenue stream dries up, they'll pull the plug on the servers, and TSTO will be gone forever.

It's kind of messed up when you think about it. People are paying real money to buy this digital currency so they can get special pixels, and at any point, the game could be yanked and it all disappears.

On the bright side, it's going to be a long time before this game ever goes away. There is a ton of content that can still be added, and there is a very large and dedicated player base. The Simpsons spans generations, and there is still more to come.

In your estimation, how much longer do you think this game can keep going on?
  • Imozone wrote:
    I would love some of these premium items, but don't have the donuts to get them (and not keen on spending the money it would take to acquire them). I have plenty of the dollars, but can't earn any donuts, and have almost all the buildings that are not premium-based.
    I propose they offer an exchange of (in game) dollars for donuts, say $5,000 per donut. The 150 donut buildings would be $750,000. This seems like a fair exchange. You do have the reverse available already.
    Would love to add some of the premium items to my game without waiting another year to get enough to MAYBE get one...
    Thanks

Lol that is far from fair. I feel a donut should be at least 500 000 in-game dollars.
  • HWick_Bluenose wrote:
    There will come a point when income from this game falls to a point where it is not worth EA running it any more. Reducing their income with this idea would only hasten this day. I buy all time limited items nowadays and the occasional other item when I have spare donuts. I only got the Bowlerama recently and I'll never buy the whale. A pointless decoration notwithstanding the bonus. Without premium players there would be no freemium game.

I tend to buy 300 donuts a month which works out at about 45p in real money (65c in US cash) per day. So less than 1/2 the cost of a packet of crisps (or chips). Not a lot of money if you want the premium items. So if you want these items and you can afford a tablet or a smartphone buy the donuts. :wink:

Well said
  • lukeout007 wrote:
    Simuks0803 wrote:
    I'm a premium player, and i disagree w/ you. You see, EA got 130,000,000 dollars from this game, and they wouldn't get so much money if they gonna give everybody free donuts. And I spend a LOT of money for donuts, and how would premium players like me feel when they realise that they were spending a Lot of dollars when greed freemiums are getting the same amount of donuts like us for free. Stop being jealous freemium players and save or buy donuts. :x

I don't think referring to freemium players as "greedy" is fair at all. Thousands of people play this game and I would be a good majority of the freemium players (myself included) simply can't afford to spend real money on donuts. I have a wife and 2 kids to support...not my mobile game addiction.

well it's good you spend your money on your family but that doesn't mean EA should give you lots of donuts for free otherwise their employees wouldn't have any money to spend on their families. It's far easier if you can just accept life can be a bit tough but I honestly don't think not having lots of donuts is so tough compared to what some people have to go through!!
  • OP: You may be interested in the results of a poll I did not too long ago on this issue.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/10118565.page