Forum Discussion

10 years ago

Tweak suggestion for updating system

I have no idea but I think it has something to do with the fact they update the game without having an update released on the play store. Otherwise, people who look into the files could see all the unreleased content. Am I right? :?
  • maximbarne126 wrote:
    I have no idea but I think it has something to do with the fact they update the game without having an update released on the play store. Otherwise, people who look into the files could see all the unreleased content. Am I right? :?
    that's the exact opposite. thanks to this we can see the game files lol
    also ingame updates are better cause they can update fixes and everything with just an ingame update, without having to pass through Playstore, Itunes, Amazon crap wait time every single update.
  • Maybe I'm not being clear in what I mean with this. The idea is to whenever there's an update to the app itself, include all previous in-game updates with it, not including all future ones of course... this would really speed up loading the game for the first time for new installations, as you wouldn't have to download all the in-app updates before you can actually play. In-game patches are really useful, so I'm not saying we should get rid of it, just include them with app updates.
  • latias1290 wrote:
    Maybe I'm not being clear in what I mean with this. The idea is to whenever there's an update to the app itself, include all previous in-game updates with it, not including all future ones of course... this would really speed up loading the game for the first time for new installations, as you wouldn't have to download all the in-app updates before you can actually play. In-game patches are really useful, so I'm not saying we should get rid of it, just include them with app updates.
    that would mean everytime you download a store update you'd have to download them all and most times they change many specific pictures too. also the time spent to download them ingame would be the same as downloading them from the store so what's the difference really ? lol
  • drprimo wrote:
    I think that some of it has to do with there is a max size for apps to be downloaded from the app store over a cellular connection (that is still in place as far as I know). And I believe the original app downloaded from the app store is "universal" whereas the updates are more device specific (with different resolutions, etc.) since if you look at the size of updates between an iPhone and iPad they will be different. This may only apply to the Apple app store, maybe Android stores too I don't know.

Beside that, if they are in the original app or not, you would still have to download them no? What difference would it make if they are included or downloaded seperately?
    yes this too. i totally forgot about that and i deal with the files all day lol yeah there're different versions of each file for ipad, ipad3, iphone, android, kindle, ecc
  • For the max size, it is generally not a good idea to download or update apps over mobile data connections.

For the total size, I do know that doing this will not decrease the total size downloaded, but I've noticed that downloading from the app store is sometimes considerably faster than when downloading ingame updates. Possibly because Apple and Google have datacenters all over the world, whereas EA only has some in the USA, and maybe a few in Europe (I think, I really have no solid ground for thinking this but EA is a smaller company than Google and Apple) So the effect largely depends on how far the nearest datacenter is, meaning that people in, say, Ukraine have much more profit from downloading from Apple than EA, than someone in the USA has.
  • LPNintendoITA wrote:
    that would mean everytime you download a store update you'd have to download them all

I am really not sure about what I'm going to say is really true, but I've been told that when you update an app, it only updates the program files. App documents are left alone when updating.

If that's not true, then yeah, implementing this doesn't really make sense other than a small speed benefit for people who are far away from EA datacenters.
  • still the different devices and resolution stuff remains, they'd have to send 5-6 different versions of the app to the store for review every single time.
  • LPNintendoITA wrote:
    still the different devices and resolution stuff remains, they'd have to send 5-6 different versions of the app to the store for review every single time.

...and just one is hell enough.
    ( just saying)
    :?