Forum Discussion

Manster54White
Seasoned Traveler
16 hours ago

Another year of mystery ratings

@eaalijo

Can someone there PLEASE explain the rating system?

Like how my Calgary Flames dog of a team has an 88 rating on offense when there isn't a single player that is rated that high?

I have broken down the rosters of every team and Calgary is hands down the worst. Every other team should be rated higher than them AT EVERYTHING. Even if we assume that baseline bottom for an NHL team is 85 overall they should be RATED LOWER THAN THAT.

Also please explain how a player whose attributes average 80 is a 75 overall player. I have gotten to the point that I don't even look at the overall player rating unless it is REALLY high.

Why not just take them off completely if they don't make any more sense than this?

• The team rating thing never made sense to me. It's in all of their EA sports titles too. So silly.

• Roster wise, Sharks are worse than Flames. Flames still have some good players, Backland, Weegar, Anderson, Kadri, Coleman, Huberdeau. 

• EASports says otherwise. Here is the roster breakdown.

Tier1SOFOperator
      Newcomer

Their ratings have always been garbage! Every **bleep** roster update I have to spend hours fixing their mistakes. Quinn Hughes an 82 body checker is just one example 🤣.

• unfortunately I don't spend enough time watching to really know what all the players can do, so I just ignore the "real" player and go by what EA says. Hughes is also very young, I am sure it will go up.

Tobbish
    Seasoned Rookie

Regarding the 80 avg skills is a 75 overall player, it was a long time since it worked like that. I know it did on PC at some point, that putting 86 on everything made an 86 overall player.

Personally I think it make more sense now, in a way (but not in every way, don't get me wrong). Some skills are more important and apart from defensive awareness, not many of the defensive skills have as much value as the skating, shooting and puck control-stuff.

I haven't investigated fully how it works, but I will do it and see if I can get any wiser.

I actually noticed that some overalls in the game must be manually edited somehow. Adam Fox starts as a 95 ovr unless I remember it wrong. When I went in to have a look at something with him (edit player, without changing anything), I then returned back to player editing, only to find Fox a 90 ovr. I have to try that again and see if I remember it right or not. But I'm sure I didn't edit his skills.

Manster54White
    Seasoned Traveler

Hi, thanks for the response.

I agree with what you said but it still doesn't explain how a team can be higher rated than its best player. I also tried to detect a pattern with the player overalls thinking it might be poise or some other factor, but nothing ever fit together. The only thing I have been able to determine for sure is that skating and senses are the most important

cogsx86
    Rising Rookie

Each line has a different weight to the overall team average. ALso just because players OVR is 86, there offense numbers might behigher then the player average. So the game looks at the players average for each category. 

For example Calgary might have more depht but the players arent rated higher overall. but the depth gives a boost to the lower lines as the team is not as vulnerable when lines 3 and 4 r on the ice. 

Team 1 - 96- 92- 87 Top line - 91.667 average

Team 2 - 90 -89-92 Top Line  90.33 average 

Team 1 80-79-81 third line 80 

Team 2 82-82-79 - 82 Third line 81 

Team 1 85.8 

Team 2 - 85.665 

Now the fun part Average, To take it further, a break down of individual offensive stats would need to be considered. To get a OVR of lets say 88 when no player on the team is 88 that does not mean the offensive stats arent at 88. Overall is lets say 88 Shot accuracy, or 86 Shot power, with 88 Puck control but defensive stats drop to Stick checking 82, hitting 80, player OVER would be 83-85 but his offensive stats are at 88. 

Then to consider the ICE time of the top players, vs lower ranked players.