Forum Discussion

29 days ago

Let's discuss: ICE-Q

ICE-Q is described as "true hockey intelligence" and consists of three main components:

1. Next-Gen Vision Control: Provides new abilities and improved responsiveness for both human and AI players, including a user-initiated skating mode.
  2. Empowered AI: Overhauls CPU player awareness and positioning, leading to more fluid and realistic gameplay.
  3. Reactive Actions: New animations make players more responsive in critical situations, increasing their urgency and reliability during plays.

Additionally, the game introduces Skill Based One-timers.

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Skill Based One-Timers.... sounds a lot like a discussion we had years ago about timing the shoot action. Is this the same thing?

NYR224
    Seasoned Scout

ICE-Q sounds promising with its focus on enhancing hockey intelligence through Next-Gen Vision Control, Empowered AI, and Reactive Actions. These improvements should make gameplay more dynamic and realistic. 

Regarding Skill Based One-Timers, it does seem reminiscent of the discussions we had about timing the shoot action in the past. If it’s similar, it could mean more precise control over shot execution, making timing and player skill even more crucial. This could add a new layer of strategy and challenge to the game. It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out in practice!

Jbats41
    Seasoned Newcomer

I think they do a great job of marketing their game and generating interest through trailers and buzzwords... whether that delivers in reality is always subject to interpretation. 

That said, the fact that they are finally ditching old gen should hopefully allow for these type of improvements come to fruition and bear out in gameplay. 

• As is normal with these initial trailers, they're more for hype generation than for clear communication of the additions and changes to the game. 

Hopefully the skating changes give players on both sides of the puck more control over their skaters.  The current visual control is usable, but still clunky at times.  I'm a bit pessimistic that this will end up further encouraging a prima ballerina meta, but I hope it's a more balanced than that.

Any improvements to the AI will be welcome.  We'll have to see this in action to make any real judgments though.

I wonder if with the new skating changes players will need to actually open their hips to square up to the pass to do a proper one-timer?  That would add a bit more skill than the current method.