Forum Discussion

7 years ago

It seems The Sims 2 UC requires Origin sign-in as of 2018

If you had played The Sims 4, The Sims 3, or other EA game, you may have encountered a game that starts up Origin (I call these games, Origin sign-in games). It seems The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection now includes the Origin sign-in requirement as I tried starting the game and Origin launched. Previously, it didn't launch Origin and simply ran the game.

What EA doesn't tell you is that older games may be changed to require Origin sign-in as this happened with The Sims 3 and The Sims Medieval, both didn't have Origin sign-in requirements but now they do. Sadly Origin doesn't have a way to telling if a game requires Origin sign-in or not. In my example, Mass Effect and Dead Space required Origin sign-in but Dragon Age: Origins didn't.

On the plus side, SecuROM is removed so there will not be any activation limits but now you have to deal with Origin starting up which can increase the start up time if Origin isn't running especially on hard drive and/or older computers. You can milgate this by having Origin start up with Windows but people would turn it off for performance reasons although I don't think it would matter on today's computers especially gaming/workstation desktops.

What do you think of The Sims 2 requiring Origin to run?