Forum Discussion

Stina1701A
Seasoned Newcomer
5 years ago

Another new to Sims 3 and need advice thread ;)

Well...not new exactly. I stopped playing Sims 3 in around 2013 circa and although I never got all the packs it was a blast but I never got around playing it again after a computer crash. I have been playing Sims 4 since august 2017 and have always been planning on going back to Sims 3. Now I no longer have the Sims 3 packs so I am thinking of becoming a basic member of Origin to gain the free access to Sims 3 basic pack but I was wondering if you could give me some advice on mods and anything else I, essentially a new player would need to know?

Now I do remember that I did have the big mod, NRAAS (hope I am having the acronyms correctly) so I have found the site for that mod and am in the process of signing up on the site (I don't think my old login is valid; don't even remember it anymore or under what defunkt email address I signed it under) and am starting reading up on it. But I was wondering, as I won't have all the packs just yet, I am thinking just to get the basic one and any that I can get free under the basic membership but will NRAAS work with so few packs or does my game have to have ALL packs that has come out for Sims 3?
  • @Stina1701A - I started out with NRAAS with just the basic packs Generations/Late Night and haven't looked back. Even with the basic packs, NRAAS with its Errortrap and Overwatch as well as Master Controller will do wonders to stop crashes outside of Error 12 (Out of Memory) errors. Now I have all the EPs and frankly, NRAAS allows me to play Sims 3 for at least 16 hours at a stretch...without running into game-crashes.
  • Hi there. If you don't mind an official kind of answer, there are no Expansion or Stuff Pack requirements for using NRaas mods and even base game only would be fine. If a command or process would be EP-specific such as relating to occult states or skills and careers that the player does not have, then either the commands won't show up or they just won't do anything. Tempest would be an example of a mod that wouldn't really have anything to do if the EP it is meant to be working with, namely Seasons, is not present, but even then there would be no harm in having it installed anyway.

Kind of aside from the above because this has nothing to do with EPs, but we do know that having Cupcake installed when the bakery set objects it is meant to control are not present or loading will cause the game to crash on startup. The missing store content issue with that one is more of an oddity than a general rule to worry about.
  • "igazor;c-17565643" wrote:
    Kind of aside from the above because this has nothing to do with EPs, but we do know that having Cupcake installed when the bakery set objects it is meant to control are not present or loading will cause the game to crash on startup. The missing store content issue with that one is more of an oddity than a general rule to worry about.

Yes, I had that happen multiple times to me. PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair)

The Deliciously Indulgent Bakery being the "bakery set" @igazor is referring to. Forget to install that and try to run Sims 3 with Cupcake still installed and your game will say, "Nope...not running..."
    mw1525
    Seasoned Newcomer
    Here's a voice of confirmation from the other end of the spectrum.

I mostly play with the just the base game installed despite owning everything for this game and I use NRaas' mods with no issues at all. Just make certain you have the correct version of the patch level for the mod installed (v1.67 or v1.69) for your game. Then sit back and enjoy! Happy Simming :)!
    Stina1701A
    Seasoned Newcomer
    Wonderful, thanks much guys. I'll install the NRAAS tomorrow, I remember how essential the thing was in denn tid, especially in controlling the population. Still have a lot to read upon. Got sweaped away with playi...uh testing the game all yesterday and almost into the wee hours :lol: But the game is surprisingly stable and cooperative for an old game being played on Windows 10. I've had to do some tussling with my other old games on this machine.

But there is one more thing. It's about the game interface not recognising this login (the one I use for this forum and on Origin) in the Sims 3 game interface when I try to log into the online part of the game....I've tried to google it but I haven't found an answer. I bought/downloaded the game through Origin so I thought it would be the same...is it okei if I create a new login for the game? Would there be any consequences when I buy more packs for the game from Origin in the future?
    Stina1701A
    Seasoned Newcomer
    Wait! I got in :smiley: I signed in with my Origin account on Sims 3 community page and then I got to register that login into that page and now I am logged in in the Sims 3 game interface!

Thanks much guys.