Forum Discussion

NikkeiSimmer
Rising Adventurer
8 years ago

How to put in a NEW school in town? Sims 3

Yep, as people have warned me, the kids are piling up at the door and unable to go to school, So I think it's time that the School District #90 Sunset Valley (yes, I look these things up before I post) http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/apps/imcl/imclWeb/SchoolBoardSelector.do and the British Columbia Teacher's Federation have pressured the government in Victoria to put in a new school in Sunset Valley. ~sigh~

So...how does one do this without routing issues? I read one thread that said that you have to delete the school (I presume that you can't do that while the children ARE IN SCHOOL?" Secondly...both schools have to be reinstalled at the same time. I presume, so...well...one in the same lot, another elsewhere in another lot.

I've heard other people have done this too. Would appreciate their feedback.
  • Save the first school lot down to the bin. Bulldoze the first school and re-place the lot. Place the second school either by using a lot you have saved down to the bin or start with a fresh lot and place the building from Build/Buy Community Objects (then landscape to taste, add a playground, parking lot...it's more work that way of course). All without leaving Edit Town.

The reason both schools have to be off the map at the same time is that otherwise the game will ignore the second one. It's okay to bulldoze a community lot when sims are on it, they will just be transported home. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get this right.

By EA standard, sim kids and teens will re-register at the school that is closest to their home lot. All scholastic performance across town will be reset to 0 (Grade C). It may take a couple of sim days of play for things to sort themselves out. NRaas MasterController with the MC Cheats module can be used to re-establish non-zero school performance but you have to know how well kids were doing or failing to do this much like as with job performance. Sims in the Education career (teachers) will lose their jobs; those and their job performance can be reset with MC as well.

If you want the schools to be restricted in some way, such as one elementary and one high school, or one for males and one for females, one for rich kids, one for poor, etc., then NRaas StoryProgression's Lot Options and castes must be used together with the NRaas GoHere mod.
    NikkeiSimmer
    Rising Adventurer
    "igazor;c-15900074" wrote:
    Save the first school lot down to the bin. Bulldoze the first school and re-place the lot. Place the second school either by using a lot you have saved down to the bin or start with a fresh lot and place the building from Build/Buy Community Objects (then landscape to taste, add a playground, parking lot...it's more work that way of course). All without leaving Edit Town.

The reason both schools have to be off the map at the same time is that otherwise the game will ignore the second one. It's okay to bulldoze a community lot when sims are on it, they will just be transported home. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get this right.

By EA standard, sim kids and teens will re-register at the school that is closest to their home lot. All scholastic performance across town will be reset to 0 (Grade C). It may take a couple of sim days of play for things to sort themselves out. NRaas MasterController with the MC Cheats module can be used to re-establish non-zero school performance but you have to know how well kids were doing or failing to do this much like as with job performance.

If you want the schools to be restricted in some way, such as one elementary and one high school, or one for males and one for females, one for rich kids, one for poor, etc., then NRaas StoryProgression's Lot Options and castes must be used together with the NRaas GoHere mod.

Thank you, @igazor. This simplifies things a lot for me. I appreciate that.

Update: UGH...blasted silly sims. They ALL went to the NEW ONE!!! And I put both schools down at the same time. How do you specify caste? Is there a caste for child so that I can make one an elementary school and the other a secondary school? I'm installing the GoHere mod right now.

karritz
    New Spectator
    When I finally got around to doing this I was happy to reset their school grades back to C as most of my sims were at F by then and I was worried about a visit from the social worker.

I looked through the various schools available in my library as there are a lot there. That way I managed to get a variety of different looking schools in town.

EDIT: I also installed a mod to give me control over scolding. I found when kids couldn't get into school they'd be scolded and grounded for skipping school and then they'd have to sneak out to try to go to school the next day.

The most extreme case of this was when I had Gobias Koffi working at the school. I was so happy when I finally managed to get one of his offspring in that game to actually get into school. Only to see Gobias be the perfect parent. He dragged the child out of school to scold him for skipping school and then gave him time out while Gobias went back inside to work. The child stood outside the school all day and then got scolded and grounded again for skipping school that day.

http://modthesims.info/d/533906

This incident was the one that finally convinced me to get the mod to control scolding and to add the extra schools.
  • If you want an Elementary School, on the lot NRaas > SP > Lot Options > Caste Disallow > Teenagers
    If you want a High School, on the lot NRaas > SP > Lot Options > Caste Required> Teenagers
    ...plus GoHere

You can make a Children caste if you really want to. But it's important to not use two Requires or else no one would be able to work in the Education career since they wouldn't be Children or Teens.

Even with all of this, sometimes it take a couple of tries and/or a couple of sim days for sims to wind up at the "correct" school.
  • Since this really isn't a technical issue (or possibly isn't anyway), I've started a new thread for @Glimmersimmer1111 over here as this one will likely get locked up by a moderator for being too old to keep posting on before we are finished.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/972232/new-thread-for-glimmersimmer1111s-teen-issues
  • I know this is an old thread, but hopefully someone sees this. I recently replaced my school, as my teens wouldn't go to their afterschool clubs. This seemed to fix the issue, except the game asked if the students wished to enrol in the high school career which I said yes to. They now cant get part-time jobs. Can i do anything to fix this?
  • "Glimmersimmer1111;c-17392405" wrote:
    I know this is an old thread, but hopefully someone sees this. I recently replaced my school, as my teens wouldn't go to their afterschool clubs. This seemed to fix the issue, except the game asked if the students wished to enrol in the high school career which I said yes to. They now cant get part-time jobs. Can i do anything to fix this?

@Glimmersimmer1111, you might be better off asking this over in the thread for new members over in The Sims 3 Tech section as that is still an active thread... :)
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/893122/thread-for-new-members-to-post-their-sims-3-game-issues#latest
  • Hello everyone, please remember that necroposting is against the rules. I've gone ahead and closed the thread.

Please review our Posting Rules & Guidelines here:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/forum-rules

~EA_Joz