Forum Discussion

Katofhyrule12
Rising Novice
2 years ago

Lack of Sims 4 excitement making me rethink Sims 3

I have only a couple reasons that I have stuck with Sims 4 instead of trying harder to switch to the Sims 3. One of the reasons was that I really enjoyed all the hype around the release of previous Sims 4 Packs. The silence around this latest pack has been so disappointing to me.

I was expecting to see my favorite content providers playing the game already and showing off what they contributed. Just silence. And some of them day after day are playing a game that isn't even a Sims 4 game, or even one of the older generations of the game.

I recently finally signed up for Twitch. I have Prime which gives me a free opportunity to support a streamer. I see much better stuff happening there for the Sims 3 than I do the Sims 4.

It is a patch day and 2 days before an EP and I have almost nothing to watch about the Sims 4.
  • "Nikkei_Simmer;c-18293280" wrote:
    @lisasc360 - my gut says that they're just going to ignore the problem.

I think almost all software developers will force everyone into subscriptions. In their defense, I think Windows is about to become subscription only, making it almost impossible for the gamemakers to do anything other than try to keep up with their subscription-based apps.

I think Windows 10 will be the last computers that can be taken offline and maybe even those computers are already infected with some type of doomsday that will trigger years later, like what happened with Flash.

Almost no one is going back and fixing anything that they broke that could potentially work offline and that people could own long-term.

When Ubuntu (the most popular Linux OS) broke the wifi on about 30% of the computers with their last update of Ubuntu 18 and then refused to fix it, I realized what was coming. And I have watched the same thing play out with multiple other softwares. They update one last time with an update that breaks the software, forcing people to update to the next version, even if that forces them to buy a new computer to run it.

I cannot play Sims 3 offline. An update will break it at some point. I am too small to fight people that are so big. For awhile I tried to learn what I needed to try and fight. And I thought the Linux community was safer. NOT! I gave up on fighting.

EA is nicer and smaller than Windows. Some of what they do is only a reaction to what Windows is doing and preparing to do. I would be shocked if the CAW thing gets fixed. They must be way too busy preparing for what Windows has planned. I expect to resort to playing Sims 5 on console and bypassing Windows all together. Or just not playing Sims at all.

In the short-term, I am enjoying Sims 3 and I will play it as long as I can. This opportunity is fleeting, like summer. Trying to protect my ability to play the Sims 3 or Sims 4 is as useless as trying to prevent fall from arriving.
  • "MantleJackal;c-18291380" wrote:
    There are multiple reasons why people are silent about the Sims 4.

Thank you for all this context! I played the Sims 1 many years ago and then had a long break from the Sims until playing Sims 4 this year. I am missing so much context.

I have been watching Sims 3 videos. It is going to take a lot to woo me back into Sims 4 enough to purchase the new pack tomorrow. The pack will be waiting for me anytime I might want it. I don't care about the extra objects and pretty much boycott them even when I do have them. I guess I just need a break, and the need hit when I least expected it to hit me.

Thanks again for the context!

• "Nikkei_Simmer;c-18292305" wrote:

I nuked the hell out of Sunset Valley at one point. I wish I could go back to that game, but it got lost on my external hard-drive that ended up broken.
    I love apocalypse fics. I just need to get my hands on a current copy of Photoshop Elements and then we're in business.
    I want a "just bombed by nukes "Sunset Valley" world to give it the right background...for the immediate aftermath of the story. But I'll have to wait on that until I figure out CAW a lot better.
    With the addition of sky mods. I was able to make the fallout scenes a bit better.

Really captures the apocalyptic ambience, right?

I am very interested in anything apocalyptic that you create. It looks like people tried to carry over the apocalyptic stuff over to Sims 4 but gave up on it. I am looking forward to exploring all that is available for Sims 3 for this theme.

• "Nikkei_Simmer;c-18292357" wrote:
    Les Sims 3 Sunset Died by SimCookie is an awesome world. @MantleJackal but I still want the “just nuked…civilization has gone to hell in a handbasket” world. ?

Bring it on. I want to see your “just nuked…civilization has gone to hell in a handbasket”.

EDIT: I found this old thread.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_Us/discussion/576477/sunset-valley-died-by-sim-cookie
  • I’m gonna have to pick up a pre-2012 disc in order to make CAW work. ~sigh~. But I’m longing to get back into CAW again.
  • "Nikkei_Simmer;c-18292623" wrote:
    I’m gonna have to pick up a pre-2012 disc in order to make CAW work. ~sigh~. But I’m longing to get back into CAW again.

CAW needs a disk? Good to know. I don't even have a CD player on my current gaming laptop, so I would also need to factor that into the price of using CAW.
  • "lisasc360;c-18292986" wrote:

Yeah because ever since EA decided to get rid of the Origin app and replaced it the EA app, people can't get CAW to work with the new app. People can still use CAW to create worlds with but I think the problem is with the 'Edit in game' that world creators are having a problem with not being able to use that option.

I've just brought me a new PC desktop last year that doesn't have a CD drive in it but was able to get an external CD drive to have so when I do want to use it, I can.

Thanks for explaining all this! I think I see CAW still listed at the Store. I am glad that I know beforehand what I need to make it work. I should buy an external CD drive just to have in general.

• @lisasc360 - my gut says that they're just going to ignore the problem.
  • "Nikkei_Simmer;c-18293280" wrote:
    @lisasc360 - my gut says that they're just going to ignore the problem.

@Nikkei_Simmer, you're probably right about that. I do know that there is a thread over on the AHQ site that someone created about the CAW issues with the app but I haven't really went over to take a look to see if there has been any updates from the SimGuru's over there or if anyone has come up with a workaround for the EIG issues.