Forum Discussion

inmyeye
New Spectator
7 years ago

Sweet Fx installation-Windows 10

I know this has been discussed before but I couldn't find it anywhere. I did a fresh install of S3 and I want to use Sweet Fx again. I cannot remember exactly how to install the mod for Windows 10. I recall having to leave a couple of the files out for the mod to work properly with Windows 10. Anybody? Thanks in advance.
  • I know you're not getting a fast enough response as you would like but it's not wise to post the same thread twice. Forum rules... they are starting to crack down more.

It's possible not too many people here use Sweet FX and I don't either. According to brntwaffles:
    Copy all files in FX folder in your main game “.exe” folder.

Extra tips:
    To turn off & on toggle the f12 key.
    Take screenshots with the f10 key, then they are placed as .bmps in the main game “.exe” folder where the sweetFX is installed.
    Turn off edge smoothing in game. Anti-aliasing is done by the SweetFX.
    Untick post processing effects to make the game even faster, the SweetFX does all the post processing itself.
    Does not conflict with any other lighting mod.
    Does not work with windowed mode. It will crash. Only use this with fullscreen (I’m looking for a solution to this)

So whatever drive you installed the game onto will be the path you need. \Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin

Anything more than that, I don't know.

• I don't have windows 10 but I also had trouble installing sweetfx for sims 3. I think that reshade is either a new version of sweetfx or an alternative to it, maybe you should try that? It's easier to customize since you download the base program and then you can go and download other people's presets or make your own in game, and you can switch between the presets easily if you put multiples in your folder (though you probably should keep the amount of presets you have in there to a minimum, because lag.) You do have to install direct X 2010 from microsoft for it to work though, you can find that here.

But yeah, reshade is what I used when I couldn't get sweetfx to work. If you want it you can get it here. And the presets can work on whatever game, I think, so even if it says a preset is for such and such game, you could probably still try it on ts3.

There's a tutorial here on installation if you need visuals, it's for ts4 but I think you download it basically the same, just find your sims 3 .exe file wherever it's located instead of the ts4 one. There were tutorials for ts3 but they were on outdated versions of the program, which you can still use, but I'm not sure all presets will work with them.

Other than that, if you don't want to try reshade, then I saw a video about using radeonpro to help install sweetfx, not reshade. It only worked partially for me though since I couldn't untick and edit the different shaders or textures or whatever you call them like the guy was doing in the video but that's better than nothing, though I'd still recommend reshade. Said video is here if you want it, it's about a different game but same principle.