Forum Discussion

7 years ago

Apartment doors

One of my greatest disappointments with City Living is that players can not build their own apartments. However, I was wondering if it would be possible for EA to patch in or to release apartment doors in an upcoming pack?

Apartment doors would designate which family lives beyond the door. In addition, hopefully, it would keep other Sims in the building from wanting to use the objects behind that door. So long as the apartment was completely enclosed by walls or a fence, Sims could live there fully independent of the other families on the lot.

What would be even nicer is if that function were added to many doors in the game so that there could be a choice of door styles, not just one.

A programmed object like that could open an entire array of building opportunities: apartment buildings, functioning row houses, mother-in-law suites, and, possibly, even apartments over businesses spaces. Perhaps the bills could be handled by a multi-family mailbox, as in TS2.

I don't need high-rise apartment shells at all, those are already available in City Living. What I would really love is to have family members living in adjoining homes on the same lot again. Or, friends living in the same apartment house with no need to go through a loading screen to visit each other. Nor would I care about landlords or janitors. I would simply like the opportunity to build apartments again.

Would something like this ever be possible in TS4?
    anthonydyer
    Seasoned Traveler
    This is a good idea. In sims 2 you could make a multi-family lot just by placing designated doors. It should be pretty easy to patch it into sims 4.
  • You would have to ask simguru grant on Twitter if it could ever work
  • Thanks for the reply. :)

I guess that I should. However, I've never liked Twitter, FB, and the like. IIRC, I followed him on there, but I really don't like to converse in those kinds of forums.
    Netzspannung
    Seasoned Newcomer
    Wouldn't you have to be able to move at least two households onto one lot to make use of this, which I think is the bigger issue? Perhaps I am misunderstanding something.
  • Yep. You could move two or more families onto the lot because each apartment door could accommodate a new family.

Basically, it would be a means of allowing players to build their own apartment lots, just like TS2 and TS3. Players could build the apartments from the ground up, multiple houses on a cul-de-sac, row houses, a rooming house, an old mansion or factory converted into apartments... anything that we could imagine would finally become possible again. Simply create your structure and use apartment doors as entrances to each separate home.

TS4 has very limited lot space. So multiple-family dwellings outside of San Myshuno are really key.

"Amandèle;c-16512922" wrote:
    This is an amazing idea, I would love that!

Me, too. :)

It's not a new idea. It's been used before. However, it would be nice to see it in TS4.

According to one of the gurus, City Living wasn't meant to be an "apartment" pack. The focus was supposed to be on recreating the feel of living in the city. So, I'm hoping that means that, eventually, we will have the capability to create our own apartments again. Apartment doors are a flexible and very powerful tool.
  • Your mouth to their ears. Here's hoping they hear us this time. lol