Forum Discussion

GalacticGal
Seasoned Ace
20 hours ago

Cantrell: The Early Years, Part Two

The Shaking of Foundations, a Cantrell: The Early Years, Part Two Update

The call came in the dead of night. Joseph grabbed his cellphone. “This is Joseph Cantrell,” he said.  The voice on the other end was unfamiliar. The man introduced himself as Walter Noel.
“I’m your grand uncle’s lawyer. I’m very sorry to bring this news to you. But the old gent deceased last night. Kitchen fire.”
“So, he was still able to care for himself.”

“Oh, absolutely, in fact he insisted. Said he’s always been on his own and it would be a cold day in Hades were he to surrender himself to the care of another.”
“That sounds like Uncle Joe. Capable, except for the fire.”
“Yes. We were all very shocked, didn’t see that coming. Listen, I’m calling because you have been named his sole beneficiary. As the eldest, you get the house, the property and the horses he left behind. Also the contents of his bank account.  Your uncle was a very rich man. You are required to attend the reading of the will. How soon can you get here?”

Joseph ran a hand over his head, catching the stray wisps of hair unleashed from the tie that held it together, by his slumber. “Two months at the earliest. We’re currently residing on Vulcan.”
“Vulcan! He told me you were far away. I didn’t anticipate off-planet. I shall postpone the reading, then. Since no one else is mentioned in his will, we have that luxury.”

*~~*~*~~*~~*

“Dad, what is it, what’s wrong?” Erik said, all but stumbling into his parents room. His father was seated on the edge of the rumpled bed, his mother surprisingly fast asleep. Must have taken a sedative. For the first time in his young life, his father looked on the worn side.  Haggard.
“It’s your Great-Uncle,” Joseph said, struggling to get the words out, lest he give into the grief that battered the back of his eyes.
“The one you were named for. He’s ancient, isn’t he?”

“You might say so, he just had his one-hundred and fourth birthday.  Last time I saw him he was still so full of life. You can’t keep that one down,”
“Dad?”
“Kitchen fire. He apparently tried to put it out, but his efforts were fruitless. Smoke inhalation.”
“I’m so sorry.”

“What a guy he was, though, I remember when . . .”

“So you’re saying Uncle Joe basically raised you and your siblings,” Erik said.
“After your Grandfather passed, Uncle Joe did come to live with my siblings and me. You see your Grandmother died years before. Uncle Joe was great. He used to tell such outrageous stories. I’m guessing that’s where you get your penchant for such. In many ways you remind me of him.” Joseph shook his head. “We didn’t know you couldn’t see, but you made up some of the most delicious stories about what you were seeing in the picture books.”
“Okay, maybe.” Erik had never met the man, but he used to relish the stories his aunts and uncles shared whenever they came over. His father’s family was very close. He knew his dad was really hurting over this loss, too. Reaching over, he placed a warm hand on his father’s shoulder. “Are you going to be okay?” Placing a hand over Erik’s Joseph nodded, slowly.
“That’s enough reminiscing for now. Why don’t you turn in and get some rest. We have lots to do, in just a few hours. So many loose ends . . .”

*~~*~~*~~*~~*

Come the morning, Joseph began the business of resigning his post at the school, and formally withdrawing Aaron, Joey and Brianna from school, securing their records for transfer. Since Erik had already graduated, his last task was to contact T’Lar, as she expected Brianna to return to the Temple upon her seventeenth birthday, so she could sit the time-honored Test, the K’Matra; which would be the final assessment of her control over her skills; how far she could project her thoughts, if she could truly Mindmeld with another. These were crucial tests. Bree would be the very first human to do so.

T’Lar who had been amazingly accommodating to this human family, secured Joseph’s oath that he and his daughter would return upon Brianna’s seventeenth birthday. He obtained a realtor and listed the house for a quick sale. Within two weeks, the family was on their way back to Earth.

*~~*~~*~~*~~*

“I have to say, that was a rather pleasant, and short trip,” Louise said.
“I told you two months was the norm. Taking a commercial ship, this time helped. Ah, here’s our cab. Come along kids, slide into the back two seats. I’m anxious to see what the old place looks like.”

“Hm,” Brianna said, “looks remarkable considering its age. When was it built again? Eighteen hundred-seventy-four?”
“Exactly four hundred years ago, that’s right. Joe took care of it. He always felt that was his mission, after your Grandpa died. The lot always goes to the eldest son.” Turning halfway in his front seat, Joseph looked at Aaron “That means you. I always told you there were perks to being the firstborn.”
“But it’s so big.”

“Solution,” Erik said, “get married and have children. That should fill the ol’ place up in no time.”
“But I don’t even know if I like kids.”
Joey shrugged, “No worries, I can just move in, wife, kids et al.”
Erik waved his hand under his nose, “Joey, if you don’t learn to bathe more often I doubt you’ll even get married. Let alone get physically close enough to make babies.”

“What are you saying?” Joey said. The cab stopped at the curb and the family debarked. Taking their luggage, the family began to explore their new residence.

“Wow, look at this place, it’s like a moment out of time,” Erik said.  As they entered the front door, a small living room space was to their left. On the right was a set of wooden double-doors, he top half of the doors also made of ornate glass leading into what Erik spied was a music room. “Whoa, look at that grand piano! Oh, hey, I love this place already.”

Moving through the hallway, veering to the left the family found themselves in the kitchen. 
Sadly, the island, with half of it burnt remained, a solemn, sad memory of just why they were here.  Joseph caught his breath, “I thought Mr. Noel said this had been cleaned up.”
“Spooky,” Joey said.
“It’s okay, he’s not here,” Brianna said. “He was a steadfast Believer, and he has gone to his reward. This place is not haunted,” she told Joey in no uncertain terms.

All for now. Thanks for reading!

No RepliesBe the first to reply