Forum Discussion

PockyRulez
New Spectator
5 years ago

Reintroduction of the Personality Points System

With so many complaints about the Sims in The Sims 4 lacking personality or being all the same, and the poll about adding more depth to relationships and emotions, I thought it would be a good idea to reconsider the way sims behave in general, for either TS4 or a future title.

The issue, I feel, with the trait system in TS4 is that it’s too basic. It doesn’t allow for depth of personality and this is because you can only have 3 traits (and one aspiration trait). However, as many people come to find out, these traits can make a sim very 1-dimensional.

Sure, your sim is a Perfectionist, and they’re Hot-Headed, and Materialistic, but then what else? That means that every other aspect of their life is now left as “generic”, “default” or “middle of the road”. They no longer have any inclinations toward certain behavior other than getting angry randomly, wanting expensive stuff, or feeling inadequate when they do subpar work.

That’s why I think that a hybrid system of Personality Points (from Sims 1/2) and Traits would be the best compromise. You could define a sim in terms of their laziness, their shyness, their niceness, their neatness, their playfulness, and their morality.

This would effectively eliminate very simple traits like Active, Lazy, Mean, Good, Evil, Loner, Outgoing, and Goofball. You could then just add on traits that add more character, flavor, emotionality, or hobbies to your sim.

I made a really simple example of the slider window we would use.
https://i.imgur.com/bpzNhGe.png

Then based on whether your sim is on the far end of a spectrum, off to one side, or right in the middle, you would get different autonomous behaviors, emotional reactions, and skill boosts.

Examples:
If a sim is right in the middle of a slider, then nothing would change. They would have the same general reaction to interactions in that category.

If a sim is on the far Active side, then not only are they more likely to get energized, they’re more likely to autonomously choose to do exercise (or other sporty activities) outside of the Energized emotion. They’ll also build fun while working out and get a minor boost (5-10%) to their Fitness skill gains.

If a sim is close to the Grouchy side of the slider, then they’re more likely to autonomously perform mean or rude socials or react negatively to positive ones. They aren’t fully grouchy though, so they won’t necessarily do it all the time or gain any boosts to Mischief or winning fights, for example.

Sims who are on the far Playful side are more likely to have positive reactions to being pranked, are more likely to do Funny/Mischievous interactions, and get the playful emotion more often. They can become bored when dealing with serious matters (watching the News, etc.)

The list could go on, but what this emphasizes is a new level of depth so that all sims now have individual personalities and behavior, rather than a couple traits to mask their very generic personalities. This is distinct from the character values in Parenthood, since it applies to NPCs as well.

The personality sliders would actually help influence their character values much like traits do by giving them head starts in either direction.

There could be more nuance added to this system as well, such as influencing changes to a sim’s personality over time, causing it to shift to one side or the other, or chance cards/random events that could cause a total change of heart or permanently lock/harden a personality trait. Or a +/- points system to keep people from making “perfect” sims without cheats.

Thoughts?
  • I like the idea that sims could gain or change traits if they repeatedly perform certain activities over time, like a lazy sim could become active, or a good sim could become evil, or slobs become neat, or freegan sims could become materialistic.
  • This would be a huge improvement for the game. Having the system subject to influence would be a great touch.

There should be an option to lock everything to the middle setting, so people who are happy with the game as it is
  • I think something like this would definitely be useful for the traits that are more hobby, lifestyle, or interest based like Dog Lover or Vegetarian, etc. because those kinds of traits tell you next to nothing about a Sim beyond the fact that they like dogs or don't eat meat.

Maybe there should also be a slider for Ambition so there can be a range for just how far a Sim wants to achieve a goal or how often they Wish for larger goals. I'm not sure what terms would be used, but since you have an Evil/Good slider (and we have Evil and Good traits), I figured it was worth adding even though we have an Ambitious trait.

Also, maybe Clumsy/Coordinated should have a slider. It would allow for a spectrum of athletic ability (in cooperation with Lazy/Active). For example, a Clumsy Active Sim might have a harder time with fitness over a Coordinated Active Sim. I guess I just feel that Active is itself a very broad description.

Also, perhaps an indicator of intelligence? There is already a Genius trait but maybe there's a way to put that on a spectrum.

Also Uncreative/Creative (although I guess that's sort of implied with Serious/Playful?).

Actually the more I think about it, the more I think the Traits should be only for hobby/lifestyle/interest, and then the slider should be for the rest, which would mean getting rid of the Traits such as Genius, Evil, Good, etc. And then just add more hobby/lifestyle/interest Traits to replace the ones lost to the slider.
  • I'm sure others will come in with more in depth thoughts on this. But this is totally awesome!!!????
  • I think we need this, and more random things happening, more things to help us in our careers, ect.
  • YES, please. Either a 0-10 personality points systems or with slider with more choices. It would be really useful for "contradictory" personalities rather than having just extremes. I also don't like how sims react the same way when they have a trait so something like that would be helpful to make them more unique. Also, please give us the opportunity to create "perfect" sims, not just 25 points that we HAVE to use. I really like the idea of sims earning more traits during gameplay or should they have some "core personality" that won't change no matter what we do? for example, it should be harder for really introverted sims to become extroverted than for just slightly introverted sims. They shouldn't suddenly become extroverted just because they went to 1 or 2 parties. Or should they remain really introverted no matter how many parties they attend to?