Forum Discussion

Anonymous
2 years ago

Sims 5 Rene Open World Concept - Map Segments

Sims 5 Rene should have a new concept: a jigsaw puzzle of "world" components.

In this model, each numbered component of the map is your world: e.g. Sims 2 Pleasantview, Sims 3 Sunset Valley, and Sims 4 Willow Creek. Each of these "puzzle piece" segmented worlds would be OPEN and all of the families are simulated, Sims 3 style. Like Sims 3, you can press a button and zoom out to see a full 3D rendering of this world map segment. But only this map segment.

Other worlds are the other numbered pieces. They are not fully simulated at the same time if you're not in that world. Why? It's not scalable with additional added worlds in DLC. But all worlds in the global map have basic story progression including aging (if you want that). You can have long distance relationships with Sims across the worlds and invite them over. Having your Sims travel from one world puzzle piece to another happens by going to a train station rabbit hole and waiting through a loading screen - you don't instantly warp to another lot in a different world because that other world is not loaded yet like your current world.

Other worlds, including those in DLC, are a new numbered "puzzle pieces" that expand your map.

Advantages include:

• open world for your active household
  • interconnected with ability to have long-distance relationships across worlds
  • ability to travel to another open world via a loading screen
  • immersive: you can't instantly warp from a coastal Brindleton Day to an isolated Strangetown Desert without boarding a train and traveling, just like real life
  • scalable as you can add new worlds but still run well as only one world is simulated at a time
  • added LORE and universe-building by displaying multiple worlds as a unified concept

• This is an interesting idea. A version of a Sim-ish global map can resemble real life places, but not exactly. You can have regions with different climates depending on their place on the map. And multiple Sim Cultures can be added depending on the map location too. I'd have towns appearing as a dot on a general surface map instead, as your above map leaves very large worlds. And that way any number of dots can be added to the map for future expansions.
    Anonymous
    "Sarah26Cat;c-18278515" wrote:
    This is an interesting idea. A version of a Sim-ish global map can resemble real life places, but not exactly. You can have regions with different climates depending on their place on the map. And multiple Sim Cultures can be added depending on the map location too. I'd have towns appearing as a dot on a general surface map instead, as your above map leaves very large worlds. And that way any number of dots can be added to the map for future expansions.

Yeah, that works too! I would love Sims 2/ Sims 3 sized open worlds that exist in the same global map, so we can take transport across the "worlds" of the globe via a loading screen and also have long distance communication. Many benefits to this model!
    Anonymous
    Regarding populating an open world, the Sims 5 Rene team should take a look at how LazyDuchess has smartly "solved" community lot population.

• works with any type of lot
    • sims show up right away
    • sims that are currently working or busy with something like NPC service AREN'T eligible to be spawned
    • takes into account traits: libraries filled with bookworks and gyms filled with sporty sims
    • lots have an attractiveness rating based on season, weather, type of day
    • sims are adapted to lot they are visiting, such as wearing bathing suits at beach lots
    • sims spawn out of the camera view, making it less obvious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiWduOqBpk8
    Lonewolf1044
    Seasoned Spectator
    @simmerorigin, very good ideas, Item three can an option to use transportation that is available or the option for folks who do not like to wait. One thing though this might not be a problem for those with good system specs and the game should be able to scale up or down as more options or features, the more resources will be needed, and EA/Maxis must find a balance where all can get some pleasure from playing the program.
    Anonymous
    ChampandGirlie left a comment in another Rene thread that I thought was additive. @ChampandGirlie
    If they make it an interconnecting open world with the ability to go to varied different locales sort of replacing the "world concept" then yes, I'd be interested in this. I know everyone has different opinions and I've just got one but there are people who agree with me, too. Loading screens don't bother me because I play on a fast computer so they last like 10 seconds but I get it. They bother some players for sure. I definitely agree that at least open neighborhoods with extensive abilities to walk around are good. In TS4, they started adding a lot more large walkable areas for jogging, biking and hiking but some people complain about that too. I like it but then those worlds tend to also have fewer lots, a trade off. I'm thinking of Copperdale where there are only a few residential lots but it's all very walkable. For an entirely new game, it should really be some type of open world but other games have loading screens that they just hide differently behind animation.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/18342626/#Comment_18342626

What are your thoughts on how open worlds, loading screens, and the interconnectedness between worlds should be handled?
  • TLDR: They could make an expanding open world with a lot more visual interest than even what competitors are doing and they could allow for even more customization by players. They could change the transitions between different locations to feel much more immersive for the player. It also wouldn't be hard to simply allow the player to switch on or off the ability to control multiple sims within a household simultaneously. Essentially, I would change the way that movement is animated in a world that appears to be entirely open so that if you do need a "loading screen", it doesn't look like one for the player. Mostly though in a new game, the open space would not have loading screens. Then, let the players build or install the places that they don't want to be rabbit holes.

The rest of my answer:

For a new game like Project Rene? They obviously need to go with some form of open world. As we are seeing, numerous competitors are jumping to provide that. If you want my honest two cents, I do think the competition benefits us as players in some ways because it will push innovation for any of the games in this space. This isn't what you are asking but I think the obvious fight between these games is going to be over what can be patent-protected and what they can litigate with each other over. Basically, I foresee some law suits that will keep some patent, copyright and trademark lawyers busy where they can be. I think all of those game developers know that and it influences things like the release dates for early access, what they show consumers about games that are still in production and I think it's one reason that TS4 may run concurrently with Project Rene or TS5. I think Alex Massé is more scared of that or cautious than Rod Humble but not so scared that he won't act, he has to because he has been taking funding from future players who are essentially his investors.

Thanks for telling me that my comment was additive. I'm a long time fan of the game though sometimes I play it and sometimes I get busy but it is nice to feel like we all have some common interests, we're all creative people, obviously. It's very nice to feel welcome so thank you.

Now to your point, they will obviously work in the newer gaming engines with much more flexibility. I honestly think they should make a very customizable game with an open editable world that expands if the player wants it to. Yes, I do think it could or should have some memory of previous games. Sunset Valley was a great world and they could bring it back in a new game if they want but they could also let the player start by making their own world. I think there should be the ability to start with a blank editable world and build it & populate it entirely yourself or to opt to load pre-mades including various ones from "the lore". Load houses if you want or build from the ground up. Sure, I like that Life By You will allow players to pop houses anywhere and that we could do so back in older games, that is cool.

TS4 does have excellent art direction and has made some very beautiful worlds that I honestly enjoy even if I end up wishing that I could click on a deco house and convert it into a playable space. I also agree that a new game really should have visible travel methods. I think they could make that more visually immersive so that movement to different places looks less like a loading screen. I think I'd want a big and varied open world kind of like what you see in some games like Zelda Breath of the Wild or the open style of Skyrim which I'm sure spurred a lot of negative comparisons back in the day. Graphically Skyrim shows its age but that was a giant open world with many climates and cities; I think a modern game needs to be even newer and more visually appealing but that very open style probably makes sense. I also think there could definitely be the option for the player to stay in one place in one town in one part of a massive, visually-exciting world. I mean, I think that's what it will take to really compete but I do also think they could probably remaster some of the older games for players who pretty much want that.

The new game is going to make money by selling content so I could see one world that continues expanding into a giant ongoing space for the players who want that. So, you'd have an open world that literally grows but appears seamless as it does. I think gaming today easily makes that possible for them. Those types of games run easily on consoles as well.

For myself, I think I'd probably want to build everything about the world from the ground up or influence its creation kind of like how we create sims. I know we could in TS2, but I'm thinking of something more advanced that isn't too hard to build with. If I had to guess, I think Life By You might go that route once it is out but I think that the Sims developers could make a more attractive game like that. I would say that they could let us place the water features, rivers, hills and mountains, etc, but we might have to settle for template maps like we see in other games. We could then lay out where we want to add houses that are either pre-made or that we can build ourselves. Some players might want to keep it simple so yes, I could see having a few basic towns to default to but I think it'd be cooler to let us build the world that our sims live in but in a way that is reflective of newer gaming styles than what existed in TS2/TS3 days. Yes, I think it's cool that Life By You lets the player put houses anywhere but I think that a new sims game could have a much bigger and more interesting world from the start.

I think what I am describing is probably what a lot of players want along with some options to start very simply and easily with a pre-made house and/or with a premade family. Let them pick how big the world is that their sims start out in and then let them opt to expand it in a way that will then look visually seamless during gameplay with more attractive transitions if or where required.

Honestly, they probably aren't going to do it but I think they should do a new medieval spin-off again as well. As in, not just releasing kits but putting out another medieval version that is visually newer. If you can build your world though, you can build your world from any era.
    Anonymous
    I think there is a good chance this actually happens. They showed an open world type of environment in the Sims Summit. The various worlds of the Sims 4 already allow you to make relationships between them - they aren't isolated worlds like in Sims 2/3.

So if we have open worlds, an actual map instead of the circular preview pictures of the Sims 4 choose a world screen, and some public transportation that allows travel between worlds without breaking immersion, then we have a win.
    ck213
    Seasoned Scout
    "simmerorigin;c-18296754" wrote:
    Regarding populating an open world, the Sims 5 Rene team should take a look at how LazyDuchess has smartly "solved" community lot population.

• works with any type of lot
    • sims show up right away
    • sims that are currently working or busy with something like NPC service AREN'T eligible to be spawned
    • takes into account traits: libraries filled with bookworks and gyms filled with sporty sims
    • lots have an attractiveness rating based on season, weather, type of day
    • sims are adapted to lot they are visiting, such as wearing bathing suits at beach lots
    • sims spawn out of the camera view, making it less obvious

If I didn't have new games that I am excited about, it would be very tempting to install TS3 again with these new mods.
    This guy also had one updating the graphics and sound
  • So. You're all asking for, SIMSCITY?

SIMS Worlds having SIMCITY Residential, Commercial and Industrial demands ( to start with ) could allow a player to choose to grow or remain small?

It allows SIMS worlds to 'interconnect' in meaningful ways with transportation links, tourism, trade, money, resources and responder services sharing?

Allows the SIMS Worlds buildings an homes the option to self-upgrade to a higher tech level or the option to renovate them yourself with appropriate build items?

Allows Economy and greatly meaningful gameplay options for players in the Urban Planning and Politics Careers? To become a MAYOR and even PRESIDENT ( with the ability to manage all Base Game Worlds not created by the player) ?

A neat way to consider bringing back STREETS of SIM CITY and SIMCOPTER like ideas for thrills we have never had in the SIMS? Airplanes, Balloons, Ships, Ferry, Subway, Rail, Elevated Rail, Monorail, Future Rail?

Aside: Making Food Matter too.  So much of the fan base is into Country Living, Farming, Gardening, Horse Ranching. The products they create; though sold, kind of go into the ether and seem to have no overall affect on the prosperity of any World. You need food BEFORE RCI. Should a user world be allowed to grow to SIMCITY sizes without having a solid food production base in one world or across many interconnected?  It would be nice if were an option for Growers/Producers.

Expanding on the awesome FOR RENT DLC, there is an ability to obtain and own or create Air B&B, Motels, Hotels and other locations that provide the tourism income to grow some types of cultural and entertainment worlds?

Limits SIMCITY gameplay time to SIMS speeds!

IMO. It was always the intention of the creators of SIMCITY, SIMS, STREETS, COPTER, and all other titles to be interconnected. But. Back in 1997 and until now no there has been no way to build them all into one; grand unified experience, without loading into another title.

If SIMCITY as a stand alone can not come back; then moving forward, let it be SIMSCITY?