Forum Discussion

11 years ago

How EA profits from the Squidport thingy

Not such a big spender (not many neighbours tile tapping either), but my squidport has a basketball game it probably wouldnt have had.
  • MrWhiplash82 wrote:
    I think there's a good reason for EA not to fix that unintentional easter egg (don't call it a glitch): They might just make a bit of money out of it.

There are two donut buildings that can be built on Squidport and Squidport only: The Ferris Wheel and Planet Hype. To me, it never even occured to purchase them, as my Squidport was so crammed with buildings in the first place, that my characters barely had space to walk between them. Now, with enough tiles to make my Squidport as large as I want it to be, I found the perfect spot for the Ferris Wheel and threw the 120 Donuts right at them. (Not much of a chance to see Planet Hype in my Springfield in the near or distant future, though.)

I somewhat doubt I'm the only one who actually spent donuts only because the addittional tiles gave them the opportunity to do so. And even as EA might "lose" its share of donuts from people levelling up faster because of the additional XP, I doubt they will lose more than they gain from the additional donut items sold.

I don't think so, if they wanted to be as coy as that, they would introduce an item that gives significant advantages and benefits if purchased compared to those who don't. Like for example, I've always thought lard lads should produce a small amount of donuts once a fortnight or something like that. Now that would be an obvious benefit to those who purchase it, that's what I mean. (This is not a suggestion Ea)

Though I better make that last part clear, lol
  • emmcee1 wrote:
    I don't think so, if they wanted to be as coy as that, they would introduce an item that gives significant advantages and benefits if purchased compared to those who don't. Like for example, I've always thought lard lads should produce a small amount of donuts once a fortnight or something like that. Now that would be an obvious benefit to those who purchase it, that's what I mean. (This is not a suggestion Ea)

Don't get me wrong, I do believe that this was not intentional on EA's behalf, I just think that, now that it's there, they have no incentive to fix it.
  • MrWhiplash82 wrote:
    emmcee1 wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I do believe that this was not intentional on EA's behalf, I just think that, now that it's there, they have no incentive to fix it.

Ohh of course not, that's to make people buy things for it when there bored of everything else.
  • jameswrightdavis wrote:
    I've got a squid port tile ready to tap. I've got maybe 10 people who have tapped it. What do friends tapping the tile do? (Sorry. Don't know the answer to this )

dance a little dance
    poke a little poke
    left foot in
    Left foot out
    shake it all around

oh sorry that a wedding

I just tap it and hope for gazillions of XP
  • marco_rosa833 wrote:
    That theory may have some validity to it. Now that my Squidport is huge, I have to figure out how to occupy the space and Squidport can't be occupied by much...

actually, I was just fine-tuning my SP... I'm up to the 3-day wait for each, have had no trouble accumulating tiles... but any who, I tried different things on SP... you can put chain link fences, regular fences, training wall, lounge chair, pink planters, etc. There may be other things too, but that's what I've found so far....
  • I never did understand why Squidport was handled so differently from the rest of Springfield. It's bizarre to have me pay twice to make space usable. (First the water, then the tiles) before I can put anything on it. I resented it. It would be as if they made me pay for acreage and THEN pay for grass, or pavement, or roads before I could put anything on it. Psychologically speaking, it would be more acceptable for them to just charge a lot more for the water and then let us add tiles the way we do with free surfaces everywhere else.

Add to THAT the fact that I was DELAYED (while the tile was developing) and it simply seemed absurd. EA makes money ONLY from donut sales. EA makes NO PROFIT from my pretend money, or when it stops me, or delays me, from using real green..

The larger my Squidport, the more need I feel to buy more premium stuff with real-money donuts. Otherwise, I have a bunch of empty space.

I just didn't get it. Such a foolish policy, to delay or discourage profit. IMHO, of course.
  • People kept maxing out and complaining, so EA wanted to do an updatethat encouraged long term play and would not be over in a week.