Forum Discussion

Simmerville
Seasoned Ace
3 months ago

Forum tags

Not sure where to post this...

Why are there no tags per pack? It would be very useful both for posters and not the least anyone searching knowledge on the forum for a specific pack, to narrow it down to the exact pack you are debating. Maybe I just missed something here - if so, pls direct me to how I find more tags.

Also, currently there exist both the "expansion pack" tag and the "expansion packs" tag. Assuming that someone will tidy up eventually. Not expecting the double is there by design, so does this hint that posters can create their own new tags - doubles or not?

• Thats a great idea!  Makes life so much easier.  EA listen to this guy, he has a good many ideas!

DaWaterRat
    Seasoned Adventurer

I'm of the opinion that they need to revise/revisit the tag system all together, as they just don't work, imo.  At least not as a replacement for Sub-Forums.  I'm in the creative forum trying to see what I want to participate in, but there are no tags by "ideas" or "speculation" and it's all just chucked in there with stories, CAS modeling, Lots, mods (which are supposed to have their own forum) all in a messy pile of ... confusion.

In addition to by pack, they really should have looked a little closer at the types of conversations that people had in the forums and tried to use that to create their tags.

Correction, I just saw an Ideas tag being used.  On one thread.

At this rate, it will be at least one more "season" of Sims releases before this place is actually usable.

EA_Spectre
    Icon for Community Admin rankCommunity Admin

Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback. That's exactly what we want to hear.

As the tag feature is new, we are still optimising things. The goal here is to find a way between making things easy to find and easy to use. Our thinking for not including all individual pack names was to not make the list of tags very long. But we are consistently checking and reworking things during this soft launch phase, so this might change over time.

A lot of the imported content from older forums is not tagged at the moment, simply because tags were not used in those forums. We are working on ways to get them tagged retroactively, stay tuned.

Oh and ... fixed the Pack/Packs thing. It should only be Packs now. Please let me know if you still see singular Pack somewhere!

/Spectre

DaWaterRat
      Seasoned Adventurer

I know you're still working out the kinks, and I'm not an expert on all things forums, but while I'm not Usenet old, I am AOL old and I've never seen a well organized discussion forum use tags instead of sub-forums.  I recall one or two that used them in conjunction pretty well, but tags are best for help forums and galleries, in my experience.

Rob199x
      Rising Adventurer

Tags are not the correct way to organize, no matter how much you're going to tweak it i'm pretty sure it'll never work. it's the same on reddit, it makes it marginally easier to categorize a post at a glance, but it's not actual proper organization for discussions.

• Tags per pack would be useful, but considering how many packs there are it might be a pain to find the right tag. We are going to see a wall of tags on the right.   😅  We need to go back to the Vanilla forums. 

Rob199x
      Rising Adventurer

yeah this format is completely inadequate. IDK who decided to sell them this backend but it;s not very fit for purpose.

unless ofcourse this was all hand crafted, in that case i applaud their effort. even if it's not a great result.