Forum Discussion

Simmerville
Seasoned Veteran
6 days ago

Necroposting not good - so why do the forum advertise 5 years old threads?

When in a thread  I get a list of "related posts" to the right. Typically, those posts will be 5 or 7 years old. Recently I commenting in one of them, a thread about graveyards that I thought was highlighted this way due to the new pack. Old thread but very relevant these days thanks to the upcoming Life & Death pack. The result was that the thread got closed because it was considered necroposting. So - WHY do the forum list all those old threads if we can not post on them?

My suggestion is that threads that are too old for commenting on, are automatically set to "read only" and NOT advertised as a "hey, come check out this necro-thread". Or, ther could at least be a gravestone/grim or similar symbol indicating the read-only status.

I've been on all TS forums for 24(?) years (which is actually a quarter of a century!), but I still do not know what exact age makes a thread too old. A symbol or read-only status would be of great help.

• And I wholeheartedly agree with you on that. I also used to get frustrated on the forums we just left, when I would run into older threads about one-third of the way down. A <Read-Only> would be so very helpful, so that none of us wastes our time replying on something deemed too old to respond to. Come on, EA, I know you can do a better job of it.

• I agree - there is no need to see very old threads related to a game we don't play.

• closing threads automatically would be problematic because theres many that continue for years like stories or build showcases or things like last screenshot/ what happened in your game threads

and I don't really want ongoing threads marked as old and locked cause time 😅

but I do think the recommendation thing in specific could do with some improvements

like first of all stay in same game section and not recommend me star wars threads with similar title 😂

Simmerville
      Seasoned Veteran

They could set threads to read-only if thread was silent for 12 momnths. A thread going on for years would not be affected, and it was never necro-posting if the thread never got inactive.

0f8r0e7tbrsc
    Seasoned Vanguard

Have been on forums where everyone got very mad for one doing this, yet you are correct..there are several subjects I have wanted to ask a question on until looking closer and realizing that some are as much as 8 years old! So yes please, mark these so we can start a new post without necro-posting. It's very frustrating!

About Questions & Feedback on EA Forums' functionality

Ask questions about EA Forums&#39; functionality and give feedback on new features &amp; design during the forum launch.117 PostsLatest Activity: 5 hours ago