Forum Discussion

Negato18
Rising Newcomer
2 days ago

Matchmaking In WoC

There are a lot of unbalanced matchmaking going on this year and it’s really putting a damper on the game. I understand that the game will have a larger pool of players to match make with in the coming months but it’s currently wrecked. Very rarely will you be placed in a match with players that are near you in skill level. Meaning the discrepancy between your team and your opponents teams ranking points are MASSSIVE. This forces teammates to often quit the game because they can’t keep up with that play style. The largest gap I’ve seen so far was 13,000 RP. That’s totally unrealistic and unreasonable. I’ve never even had one game where everyone was within the same rank. 

aigarins
    Seasoned Newcomer

Completely agree. You also mathed with much higher division opponents,for example div 10-7 teams are constantly matched against div 1-2 teams where all the opponent does is just cross crease and onetimers and every shot goes in from any angle,while we try to actually play with some skill moves but goalie always ends up saving everything.

• Honestly, after waiting ages to play a game, I could care less what the other teams levels are. I rather play the game and lose 8-0 in a match. At least then waiting for 15 minutes to play would be a little worth it. 
    as it is right now I don’t know what the matchmaking algorithm is for chel but it’s most likely way to complicated. I have this sick feeling it’s actually looking for a perfect match instead of just getting us into games. 

NitroXIII
    Seasoned Novice

There never has been very strict skill-based matchmaking in CHEL even when the player base is reasonably sized it's kind of 'soft skill-based matchmaking' at most. Playing with randoms in any online game always comes with the risk of teammates quitting, but if you're playing with friends and your friends quit, get better friends. 

I'm a turbo-nerd and have a program I've made that keeps track of every game my club plays and the records of every team we've played. I've done the math, and 30% of my games are against teams with a winning percentage > 60% which I would consider a "good" team. another 30% are against teams that have a winning percentage between 45 and 60, and the rest are against teams below that. That seems like a pretty fair distribution. There used to be no such thing as skill based matchmaking in any online game.

If you're playing club, and care that much, there's a couple websites where you can search the club beforehand and just back out before the game even starts if you're afraid, but good luck learning how to get better at the game, instead you should play the game, record it, and watch it back and see what the other team does that lets them run circles around you and try to learn from it. Just because the Sharks suck doesn't mean they don't get matched up with the Rangers or the Stars, you deal with the hand you're dealt and either get better at the game, take your lumps, or find another game to play because competitive gaming isn't for you.