Forum Discussion

3 years ago

Ability restrictions

I feel like units gets more and more restrictions. You can do X, but only in this specific situation. Omicron abilities only work in one game mode. And now with the new tusken omicron, only in half a game mode. Just why? I honestly don't think allowing it in 5v5 would break the game. Or in galactic challenges, or anywhere in the game actually.

IDK, just let us play the game CG. I don't like having characters with abilities I can't use except when it's the full moon.
  • "ToJ85;d-255595" wrote:
    I don't like having characters with abilities I can't use except when it's the full moon.

Great! Now you’ve just given them a new idea?
    LendersQuiz
    Rising Newcomer
    Reminds me of the rules for Fizzbin.

• The game can be played with a standard Earth deck of cards, despite the slightly differing deck on Beta Antares IV.
    • How many players can take part is not specified, but four is apparently the usual number.
    • Each player gets six cards, except for the player on the dealer's right, who gets seven.
    • The second card is turned up, except on Tuesdays.
    • Two jacks are a "half-fizzbin."
    • If you have a half-fizzbin:
    • ***** A third jack is a "sralk" and results in disqualification, however if the jack is dealt on progress towards a royal fizzbin, it is considered a very lucky hand;
    • ***** One wants a king and a deuce, except at night, when one wants a queen and a four;
    • ***** If a king had been dealt, the player would get another card, except when it is dark, in which case he would have to forfeit that card.
    • The top hand is a "royal fizzbin," but the odds against getting one are said to be "astronomical." Spock admitted, "I've never computed them."
  • "ToJ85;d-255595" wrote:
    I feel like units gets more and more restrictions. You can do X, but only in this specific situation. Omicron abilities only work in one game mode. And now with the new tusken omicron, only in half a game mode. Just why? I honestly don't think allowing it in 5v5 would break the game. Or in galactic challenges, or anywhere in the game actually.

IDK, just let us play the game CG. I don't like having characters with abilities I can't use except when it's the full moon.

This is the really weird thing about Omnicrons I don't really get. Cause it seems to me there are really only two types of Omicron. On one side, you have Iden, Wampa, Mara Jade, etc. All of those characters/teams are really good regardless of what mode you are playing. Their omicron just makes them even better in a specific mode, but overall the characters are still good. On the other hand, you have omicrons like Farmboy Luke and Admiral Ackbar. Which is like, yeah, they are okay? I guess? But they aren't game-changing. I had assumed that omicrons were meant to be this revitalizing game-changer that made older, less-used characters semi-good again, even if in only specific modes, but they aren't that great anyways.

So where does that leave us? I'm not really sure. We have some great omicrons that are amazing in certain modes on characters that are already good, and then you have characters that aren't even good with their omicron in specific modes. I think their goal is to take average characters(Phasma, Sidious, Inquisitors) and make them into really good teams in specific modes(Ex. Starkiller team good only in GAC, Inquisitors good only in TW). But I don't really see that working out for them just yet. I like the idea of taking old characters and making them usable and fun again, but if that is Capital Games end goal, they have some work to do.
  • As more kits and abilities come into the game the game becomes more nuanced. Omicrons were specifically argued to in-part be a method of making decrepit characters useful. Making useful =/= all game modes.
  • Adding limitations also makes it so the “Best Team” isn’t the same as the “Best Characters” all grouped together. Imagine Iden working on the Veers-Piett team.