Forum Discussion

7 years ago

Thrawn's basic WAI?

Does the ability block after granting speed up take place after their turn is over or once they start their turn?

Faced a team in arena where i hit Leia with Thrawn's basic and she was granted speed up, and then immediately used her ability to grant herself stealth and then was ability blocked. But the whole point of hitting her with his basic was to prevent her from getting stealth in the first place.

So i guess my question is, when is speed up supposed to expire on a toon? At the beginning of their turn or after their turn?
  • WAI. At the end of their turn it changes from SU to AB....and it is AMAZING for that reason. It just takes planning ahead and knowing opponents abilities and cooldowns.

If it worked the way you thought it did, it would just be a really inferior AB.
  • It hits really hard for a support character, one of the few that can damage high health characters behind Zarriss.

You can use basic on stunned characters to shut them down for 2 turns, meaning you get to ignore them for awhile and focus on a new threat. It works on basically anyone the turn before their cooldown comes back buying you an extra turn before they can use a Special.

A fast Thrawn giving DT first turn for AoE cooldown increase, then him getting to ability block them the following, is a match made in heaven. It basically just takes any character that doesn't have a brutal basic out of the fight, since in my experience at least, matches are pretty much decided in the first couple rounds.

It also stuns, so serves a dual purpose against those with hard hitting basics.

Granted, it's not as good as GAC or Fracture, but it's a big part of an amazing kit. There's a reason Thrawn is pretty much universally considered a top 3 character, and the basic is a big part of that.

• "DedrickRogue;c-1432605" wrote:
    WAI. At the end of their turn it changes from SU to AB....and it is AMAZING for that reason. It just takes planning ahead and knowing opponents abilities and cooldowns.

Gotcha, thanks.
  • Can someone please explain to me exactly why its so amazing? I have Thrawn but only gear 8 and so far don't see his basic doing much for me

"DedrickRogue;c-1432605" wrote:
    WAI. At the end of their turn it changes from SU to AB....and it is AMAZING for that reason. It just takes planning ahead and knowing opponents abilities and cooldowns.

• It can also work really well with anyone fast enough to go before thrawn like tfp or Boba who can lay out an ability block so he can stun first turn it has quite a bit of utility

And it really does hit like a Mack truck for a basic attack
  • It's amazing because it's special damage, and most characters have low resistance so even tanks take a lot more damage from this compared to physical damage.

The AB and stuns are irresistible, which is huge.

Another good basic is Krennic, hits 13k regularly, cause irresistible tenacity down, even when dodged.

• I think it's like Speed up-> Normal turn -> Abilty Blocked turn.
    Not Speed up -> Ability Blocked turn.

But if Buff dispeller hits the target before it gets a turn, the speed up transforms into AB right away.

About SWGOH Strategy & Tips

Share guides, tips, and tricks for Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes, discuss Arena strats, and help new players get started.22,719 PostsLatest Activity: 5 years ago